Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 08:32 PM

Default Froglet loosing weight

Hi all,

I'm a little concerned about one of my Borja Ridge froglets. It popped up in a brom on Sunday Sept 16th with almost all of its tail absorbed.

It looked very healthy and active.
In the time since it has not left the brom where I found it, and is getting very thin with its legs turning into toothpicks. I can't imagine it's eaten much seeing as it hasn't left this one plant.

I tried once (unsuccessfully) to encourage it to jump into a container so that I could separate it out and get some meat on it's bones.
It's too fast, it always dives deep into the brom cups.

I've tried to hand launch some flies and springtails to him, but its not working out too well given the location of the plant.

Any suggestions on how to catch him and or otherwise feed him?
Should I be trying to encourage him to leave the brom, i.e. scare him out?

I thought about maybe removing the plant from the viv and gently shaking it upside down into a container of moist spaghnum?

The brom is anchored real well and tied into a bunch of vines and moss but is probably doable?

One of the the males keeps coming around, hanging out with it and almost seemingly trying to encourage it to leave the brom. The froglet comes out of the brom further when the male comes around...

The pics below go back almost a week, he's lost weight... I haven't been able to snag another good pic because unless that male is around he seems very skiddish and dives into the brom when I approach...

The little guy above is tiny in comparison to the others that hatched only a week or two earlier (which I had reared outside the viv). These guys seem 'baby fat' and are very active in their containers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Froglet loosing weight

That male could be the very reason the froglet is NOT coming out.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Froglet loosing weight

It seems like you may have to pull out the froglet if you want it to survive. Then put it in a smaller grow-out tank heavily seeded with springs. If you can't convince it to jump into a container to remove it, then you may have to pull it by hand. Some people on the forum may disagree with the method, but you can reach down into the bromeliad and grab it by a foot and pull it out. This will almost certainly not harm your frog (make sure your hands are clean obviously) and the momentary discomfort may save your frog's life.

Best of luck.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:42 PM

Just remove the brom and put it in the grow out container until he comes out. Reattaching a bromiliad takes about 30 whole seconds.
0.0.1 P. murinus