Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Breeding, Eggs & Tadpoles
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 02:20 AM

Default Good egg/Bad egg advice please

My SI's laid their first clutch of eggs about a month ago. They all went bad, but that might have been something stupid I did (not going into that admission just now )

Anyway, six days ago they laid another large clutch in the bottom of a film cannister, around 15 eggs. The male has been very good about guarding them and is almost always in with them or perched on top.

The eggs were obviously going bad, swelling up and turning white, with the jelly getting cloudy.

A few minutes ago I chased him off and pulled the cannister out of the viv, planning to dispose of the eggs. Of course I checked them the best I could before I did anything. It kind of looks like 3-4 of the eggs all the way at the back are developing. I put the cannister back in the viv while I am typing this.

Now, for my question. Should I remove the cannister and pull the eggs? That's the only way I'll be able to check if any of them are good. If I leave the eggs with the parents and there are developing tads, will the 3-4 good eggs be overwhelmed by the 12 bad eggs and kill them? So, is it best to try and remove so many molding eggs? I have had success at raising a batch of vent eggs, but I was hoping to let the parents take care of these. Or should I try to remove as many bad eggs from the front as I can and put the cannister back in the viv? I just don't want the bad eggs to ruin good eggs (if there are any).

Of course, this could all be moot and the seemingly developing eggs could just be wishful thinking on my part. I once saw movement in the water in my Basti tank and got excited until I looked closer and realized it was a stinking snail in the water!

Thanks, Deb
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2009, 02:37 AM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: Good egg/Bad egg advice please

i have had the best luck at least allowing my Si's to transport the tad prior to removing. as for the bad eggs ruining the good. that wont be a problem, the first few clutches i got only like 3 or 4 made it to tads and after the male transported them he pushed the bad ones out to make room for new. i think Si's make great care takers they guard the eggs transport as many as they can. i let mine transport to baby food containers and then just swap them out for a new one once they are full of tads.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:45 AM

I agree. Letting the males guard the egg clutches and transport tends to give you more robust tadpoles with SIs. As for the bad eggs overwhelming the good ones, this will happen if the male is not attentive or the eggs are not strong enough to begin with in the first place. The keys to success with anthonyi like the Santa Isabels are 1) good feeding and supplementation of the parents and 2) patience on the part of the hobbyist.

Once they get it right you will wish they never had I remember that at one point I routinely had between 200-300 SI tadpoles at any one time...ridiculous to be honest. In fairness that came from 4.4 SIs but any pair can pound out the offspring at a rate that gives the other rabbits of the dart frog world a run for their money.

Best of luck.

Bill

Old 01-16-2009, 02:49 AM

Thanks, that makes me feel so much better. I was just worried that having so many bad eggs, any good ones would be overwhelmed. Like I say, I couldn't really tell for sure if there were good ones at the bottom. But it did appear there were a few that were black, clear jelly and a black line (tad) in them.

Of course, that could just be crud at the bottom

Anyway, I just checked and he is back in the cannister straddling all the eggs. I think he's giving me the evil eye and daring me to just try and take his eggs again!!!
Old 01-16-2009, 02:56 AM

Thanks Bill.

I have thought about what I would do with them all if they really start to produce, since they have such large clutches.

I only bought these guys about four months ago, but they have such a lovely call and they are really coloring up. My only complaint is the three I chose turned out to be 1.2 I've wondered if I should swap out a female for another male. I've read they do better with a male heavy group.

Deb
Old 01-16-2009, 02:09 PM
TWI/ASN

you wont have a problem finding another male as Si's seem to produce pretty male heavy. male heavy is the way to go i keep a 3.2 group and i noticed that my females will make it a point to breed with each of the males. rather than lay a 25 egg single clutch they lay around 7-10 with each male. kinda cool everyone gets a little lovin .
Old 01-16-2009, 02:35 PM

I don't think my little charmer would like the competition. With both clutches laid, he was in amplexus about eight hours each time Of course, maybe that was from dusting the ff's with froggie viagara

I've been debating the swapping, but maybe I should just pick up a couple of more males. I really don't want hundreds of tads, but I do love their call. Their viv is right next to the TV and I'm constantly hitting the mute button to hear them better.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:44 PM
TWI/ASN

sometimes they even get a bit carried away. this was about a 6hr session i cant imagine the middle male was very comfortable but they stayed together the entire time.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:20 AM

I managed to get a better look tonight...........there are six tads developing amongst all the "bad eggs".