Does a tadpole's disposition stick with it after morphing into a frog? - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Breeding, Eggs & Tadpoles
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Broseph
  • 1 Post By azandis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2020, 02:00 PM

Default Does a tadpole's disposition stick with it after morphing into a frog?

I have a gray tree frog tadpole that I've been calling the runt of the bunch. It's smaller, it's more docile than the others. It looks very healthy but I never see it eat or swim around. Always just sitting on the bottom. Now it's morphing and I'm wondering if its easy-going, bump-on-a-log "personality" is going to carry through after metamorphosis. I know most folks here don't have experience with gray tree frogs but I'd be interested in anecdotes about this for any kind of frog. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2020, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Does a tadpole's disposition stick with it after morphing into a frog?

My experience with "wild-type" animal individuals with atypically docile "personalities" is they often have other... quirks.

In other words, they tend to be the ones that get bullied and/or succumb to illness/issues.

It's not a hard rule, but something I'm pretty sure I've noticed. In nature, these doe eyed idiots would probably get eaten out of the gene pool in short order.
The Following User Says Thank You to Broseph For This Useful Post:
makesha (09-03-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Does a tadpole's disposition stick with it after morphing into a frog?

Thanks for sharing that.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:33 AM

Believe it or not, in the last decade or so, a whole field of research sprung up that deals with animal personalities. Personalities in this case are behavioral traits like aggressiveness, boldness, and sociability. Researchers measure a suite of these traits to see if they persist over time. If so, these are termed "behavioral syndromes" and there are at least a couple of studies that show that behavioral syndromes persist through metamorphosis. One study looked at pond frogs (Rana ridibunda) [1] and the other looked at spotted salamanders (Ambystoma maculatum) [2]. Interestingly, other studies have shown that an individual larva's personality can impact its health and survival, specifically with respect to parasite load [3].

That's the long way to say that, yes, a tadpole's personality sticks with it through metamorphosis.

References:
[1] Wilson, A. D. M., & Krause, J. (2012). Personality and metamorphosis: is behavioral variation consistent across ontogenetic niche shifts? Behavioral Ecology: Official Journal of the International Society for Behavioral Ecology, 23(6), 13161323.

[2] Koenig, A. M., & Ousterhout, B. H. (2018). Behavioral syndrome persists over metamorphosis in a pond-breeding amphibian. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology, 72(12), 184.

[3] Koprivnikar, J., Gibson, C. H., & Redfern, J. C. (2012). Infectious personalities: behavioural syndromes and disease risk in larval amphibians. Proceedings. Biological Sciences / The Royal Society, 279(1733), 15441550.
Johanovich likes this.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to azandis For This Useful Post:
Androgynoid (09-16-2020), Encyclia (09-16-2020), Fahad (09-16-2020), Kmc (09-16-2020), Socratic Monologue (09-16-2020)