Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By varanoid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 01:58 AM

Default Leuc eggs

I have some leuc eggs that I put in a small ceramic water dish. It was all I had on hand. They have been in there about a week and I can see the lil guys wiggle around but the egg sac seems a bit cloudy. I am not sure what that means?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2020, 02:02 AM

Here is a picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200711_190015_1594519331747.jpg (42.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-12-2020, 01:56 PM

There seems to be too much water there. The cloudiness is when egg goes bad. Take some water out and keep wrap covered to keep them moist.

Old 07-13-2020, 04:28 PM

I have since had three hatched tads that seem to be doing well. My first attempt to raise myself. I have been giving my eggs to local pet shop . Question is now, how much water to keep newly hatched tads in?
Old 07-14-2020, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Leuc eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Sunfried View Post
I have since had three hatched tads that seem to be doing well. My first attempt to raise myself. I have been giving my eggs to local pet shop . Question is now, how much water to keep newly hatched tads in?
Congrats on the tads.

When I pull eggs from a tank I don't fully submerge the eggs. I fill the container I keep them in high enough so that just half the egg/s is submerged and the rest of the egg is exposed to air. Once they hatch, I remove them gently with the "spoon" end of a slurpee straw to the container I plan to raise them in.

As for how much water you keep them in, that is up for debate. I have raised tadpoles in hardware towers that have drawers that have only around 3floz of water successfully. I have raise them in red solo cups successfully filled about half way with around 8-10 floz of water. I have raised them in clear plastic deli cups with around the same amount of water. Some people raise them communally in multiple gallons of water successfully. If it were my first try at this and I didn't have a lot of tadpoles to worry about, I would go the solo cup method. Cheap, easy, and had a lot of success. If you ever get to a point where you have dozens of tadpoles at one time, I would consider the hardware tower method to save space and make maintenance/feeding easier.

Whatever container you use, do not fill to the brim. Tadpoles will jump if they get startled. It also makes the cups easier to handle when you don't need to worry about sloshing water out of them.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:51 AM

I have them already separated in 8 oz deli cups about half full and food should arrive tomorrow. Everything is going well so far and if it stays that way I will be looking for a new home for them at some point.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Leuc eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Sunfried View Post
I have them already separated in 8 oz deli cups about half full and food should arrive tomorrow. Everything is going well so far and if it stays that way I will be looking for a new home for them at some point.
I forgot to mention that I add a piece of magnolia leaf to each tadpole container.

What did you order to feed your tadpole?

Luec tads are very hardy and should do very well for you.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:41 PM

I did a search for tad food and just got ocean nutrition. Tried to get cyclopeeze but apparently it is discontinued. Will have to find replacement for that. Also I have pieces of almond leaves and java moss in each container