Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pumilo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2020, 11:53 PM

Default New imitator yurimaguas tadpoles out of water

I have two recently out of water froglets in a grow out container with springtails. There are currently 5 adults in a 36x18x36 well planted tank. I’m not clear on the sex breakdown of that tank but they seem to get along and have recently been producing eggs and tadpoles. What size or time frame should I introduce those frogs to the big tank? Or is 5 frogs enough for a tank that size. I’m not sure how big of a group I can make with imitators.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2020, 01:18 AM

Default Re: New imitator yurimaguas tadpoles out of water

Multiple male imitators in any size home viv is a gamble. If they have been raised together, less territorial fatalities might be expected than if new males are introduced to established territories.

Females do wrestle, too, though I'm not sure how stressful that is for them. Imis are monogamous, so I would expect odd females to not do as well.

There are a few failure stories (dead frogs) in the archives regarding imis in groups. I can't think of any responsible reason to add more frogs to your group.

- Whitman
Old 06-17-2020, 01:12 AM

Sounds good. I will keep the froglets separate from the existing group.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:05 PM

Thanked 1,843 Times in 1,343 Posts

Are you also offering your froglets some dusted fruit flies?

You want to be getting vitamins and calcium to them as soon as possible. I use Repashy Calcium Plus.

One age old breeder's trick is use your oldest cultures for your youngest flies. As cultures approach the end of their useful lifespan, you may have noticed that the flies it produces are getting smaller and smaller. Take advantage of those smaller flies to get some Calcium Plus into your frogs.
Broseph likes this.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumilo View Post
Are you also offering your froglets some dusted fruit flies?

You want to be getting vitamins and calcium to them as soon as possible. I use Repashy Calcium Plus.

One age old breeder's trick is use your oldest cultures for your youngest flies. As cultures approach the end of their useful lifespan, you may have noticed that the flies it produces are getting smaller and smaller. Take advantage of those smaller flies to get some Calcium Plus into your frogs.
Has anyone found a reliable way to force a culture to make smaller flies? I use the same trick Doug suggested, but those old cultures can be unreliable. Not to mention all the dead flies that pour out.

Is it a nutrient shortage, such that you could make a media to skew toward small flies? Or is growth inhibitors built up in the old media, and a heavily seeded culture with very little media would at least make a single batch of stunters?
Old 06-19-2020, 03:14 AM

They barely got out of water and I have a ton of Springtails so they are hunting those down pretty well. I have 2 cultures coming to the end of their life so I will start adding stunning FFs later this week with calcium.

I had a previous tadpole come out of this group a few months ago that is fat and happy after this regimen.