Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2020, 01:33 PM

Default Eggs & Tadpoles

So I knew that I had a good chance of having a pair out of the 4 cobalt froglets I got about a year or so ago and even before that I apparently just got lucky when I picked up two standard leucs from tinleys spring show 2019 even tho it seems a lot longer than that..Anyway I noticed that my leucs and my currently only pair of cobalts I have were laying eggs and then I noticed the leucs had two tadpoles in there big water dish.. Next thing I know its only one tadpole and I'm assuming its due to Dendrobates tadpoles beingcannibalistic..So Should I let the parents handle the eggs til I see the tadpoles in the water dishes only the leucs have done this.. I guess since the cobalt pair is still young I haven't had any of there eggs transported to water..I thought I had done enough research to prepare myself in case this happened but apparently not..Any advice would be helpful thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2020, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Eggs & Tadpoles

From what I can tell whether you pull eggs or leave them depends on how many froglets you want to raise. You will have more success if you pull them but then you got to deal with raising a lot more tadpoles and find homes for a lot more frogs. This is super fun for some people and stressful/bothersome to others.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
From what I can tell whether you pull eggs or leave them depends on how many froglets you want to raise. You will have more success if you pull them but then you got to deal with raising a lot more tadpoles and find homes for a lot more frogs. This is super fun for some people and stressful/bothersome to others.
If by 'leave them' you mean leave the tads in the viv and give them no added care (artificial prepared food, water quality correction, etc), then this is not good advice. (Correct me if I am misunderstanding the point about 'leaving them'.) There have been posts here recently about mal-developed froglets that were left to live or die in vivs. Leaving a tad to starve isn't recommended either, IMO.

Eggs/tads of species that don't feed their tads either need to be pulled and cared for, pulled and culled, or cared for in the viv. Or, be prepared to cull malformed froglets, but many people have issues with that.
Broseph likes this.

- Whitman

Old 06-14-2020, 03:31 PM

One thing to add to Socratic. It is possible to leave eggs and tads in the Viv with no added care for species that don't egg feed, BUT you need to watch things carefully and be prepared for much failure. Planning a recipe for success in that scenario is a longer discussion.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
If by 'leave them' you mean leave the tads in the viv and give them no added care (artificial prepared food, water quality correction, etc), then this is not good advice. (Correct me if I am misunderstanding the point about 'leaving them'.) There have been posts here recently about mal-developed froglets that were left to live or die in vivs. Leaving a tad to starve isn't recommended either, IMO.

Eggs/tads of species that don't feed their tads either need to be pulled and cared for, pulled and culled, or cared for in the viv. Or, be prepared to cull malformed froglets, but many people have issues with that.
I was referring to the eggs not the tads. I believe the op was asking specifically about pulling those.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
I was referring to the eggs not the tads. I believe the op was asking specifically about pulling those.
Thanks for clarifying. The claim about 'raising more tadpoles' threw me a little; I'm glad we're on the same page.

- Whitman