Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Fahad
  • 1 Post By varanoid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2020, 08:14 PM

Default Surprise Auratus Breeding (Colombian Yellow)

Got a group of these around the end of March, UE usually sells froglets 3-4 months OOW, these *may* have been slightly older but were still pretty small.

Anyway, some weeks ago a calling male started to get followed by a female; I placed a Petri dish and coconut hut in the tank and they promptly stopped.

I figured Iíd spooked Ďem, since I didnít see calling or courtship again. This morning Iím drinking coffee and see this:

...male in question transporting a tadpole. They laid the eggs elsewhere and I donít know how many made it to this stage. I put a couple of dishes of tadpole tea in the tank and walked away.

Heís since succeeded in kicking the tad off into the water:

...havenít seen another at this time.

Iím tempted to search the tank but feel it may be too disruptive. There are a number of places they could have deposited eggs ... beneath the leaf litter are multiple voids created by hollows between river stones.

I hadnít actually expected breeding this soon; gonna take some time to research further today as it caught me off guard.

I also have 7 terribilis tadpoles in the water right now and what looks like 5 more on the way, so this could be a busy Spring/early Summer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahad View Post
Got a group of these around the end of March, UE usually sells froglets 3-4 months OOW, these *may* have been slightly older but were still pretty small.

Anyway, some weeks ago a calling male started to get followed by a female; I placed a Petri dish and coconut hut in the tank and they promptly stopped.

I figured I’d spooked ‘em, since I didn’t see calling or courtship again. This morning I’m drinking coffee and see this:

...male in question transporting a tadpole. They laid the eggs elsewhere and I don’t know how many made it to this stage. I put a couple of dishes of tadpole tea in the tank and walked away.

He’s since succeeded in kicking the tad off into the water:

...haven’t seen another at this time.

I’m tempted to search the tank but feel it may be too disruptive. There are a number of places they could have deposited eggs ... beneath the leaf litter are multiple voids created by hollows between river stones.

I hadn’t actually expected breeding this soon; gonna take some time to research further today as it caught me off guard.

I also have 7 terribilis tadpoles in the water right now and what looks like 5 more on the way, so this could be a busy Spring/early Summer...

Congratulations! It's a good surprise 🙂

I have 3 froglets on land and at least 3 more tads in the water. They kind of snuck up on me
Old 06-10-2020, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Surprise Auratus Breeding (Colombian Yellow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingguy12345 View Post
Congratulations! It's a good surprise 🙂

I have 3 froglets on land and at least 3 more tads in the water. They kind of snuck up on me

Thanks! Yeah, I had planned to be ready a few months from now soonest, based on approximate ages.

I now have 7 terribilis tadpoles, 5 more developing, and this stealth breeding by the auratus.

Iím now looking at my leucomelas group with great suspicion.

Old 06-13-2020, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Surprise Auratus Breeding (Colombian Yellow)

Congratulations! They are beautiful frogs to say the least. Very glad to see you having success with them.
Fahad likes this.