Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By indrap
  • 1 Post By Encyclia
  • 1 Post By Flip00u812
  • 2 Post By Socratic Monologue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2019, 01:02 PM

Default Letting parents raise their young

This morning I saw a tadpole on the back of my male Ranitomeya tarapoto! Very exciting moment! This is the first time I've seen any offspring from them. I have four broms and a couple of film canisters in the tank. Is there anything I need to be doing to ensure proper care of the tadpole? I'm going to leave it and any others in the tank for the parents to raise.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 01:20 PM

Your parent frogs probably wont raise the tadpole since they are no obligated egg feeders.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Letting parents raise their young

Everything I've read states that Ranitomeya imitators take care of their young and that the males call the females to deposit trophic eggs for the tadpoles.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:53 PM

Imitators are facultative egg feeders. You are good to leave the tads with the parents

It's worth mentioning that not all ranitomeya are like this - fantastica, summersi, bennies, ventrimiculata, and variabilis are not egg feeders. Ranitomeya that will egg feed are vanzos, imis, lamasi, and flavovittata.

Great looking frogs btw. To answer your question I would just let their parents do their thing and make sure the broms get their water axils filled up and changed with RO water periodically (or just let your mister do its thing if you have one set up).

Last edited by indrap; 05-15-2019 at 02:05 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indrap For This Useful Post:
Flip00u812 (05-15-2019), Tijl (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 01:57 PM

You probably won't produce as many froglets if you let the parents raise them, but you will probably get some. No guarantees, though.

Mark
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:43 PM

I just looked around the tank and found an egg with a tad in it that has slid down the side of the glass. I don't see movement, but should I pull it?
Old 05-15-2019, 02:45 PM

Thank you for this information. The male went into one of my bigger broms and I saw him later without the tad so I'm guessing he dropped him in there. I'll make sure to focus my misting on the broms to periodically flush the water.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip00u812 View Post
Thank you for this information. The male went into one of my bigger broms and I saw him later without the tad so I'm guessing he dropped him in there. I'll make sure to focus my misting on the broms to periodically flush the water.
I'd highly recomend to not change anything in the tank ( if you mist automaticly), there is a good reason the male chose to deposit the tadpole in this particular bromeliad. Also, if you "refresh" the water too much, there will not be all the food available for the tadpole since it might get flushed away.

I forgot to say : congrats on the tadpoles! You will never get tired of seeing your frogs with tadpoles on their back

@ Indrap : That's good information! I always assumed most ranitomeya did not take care of tadpoles. So thanks allot for sharing the names of all the Ranitomeya that are able to eggfeed!

Never the less, I will always recomend raising tadpoles by hand if you want the most (healthy) offspring. Ofcourse this does not aply for Oophaga.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:52 PM

Looks like I need to start researching egg/tadpole care. I’d love to start raising offspring.
Tijl likes this.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijl View Post
I'd highly recomend to not change anything in the tank ( if you mist automaticly), there is a good reason the male chose to deposit the tadpole in this particular bromeliad. Also, if you "refresh" the water too much, there will not be all the food available for the tadpole since it might get flushed away.
The typical practice with imis is to flush the broms well every few days. The tads don't need debris to eat; the parents will provide nutritive eggs. Further, froglets raised by parents are known to morph larger than those raised by hand.

Each of my imitator pairs have brought about 4 tads to metamorph in the last year. I don't intervene in care at all, even if I think something is going wrong. I've been doing this a year; these frogs have been doing this for hundreds of thousands of years. I trust them.

Yes, you could pull eggs and raise frogs by the bucketful. I love watching my parents care for their young... it is by far my favorite part of keeping frogs.
Tijl and Kmc like this.

Last edited by Socratic Monologue; 05-15-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:11 AM

You're letting mother nature take its course. I like that idea, however, your tadpole survival rates diminish significantly.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrymonkeyx3 View Post
You're letting mother nature take its course. I like that idea, however, your tadpole survival rates diminish significantly.
Umm, no. Imitators don't tend to lose tads, plus parent raised Ranitomeya morph larger.

Everyone is impressed by the fact that you've got your 25 posts in since yesterday, though.