Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 07:34 PM

Default Noise interference?

Hey everyone!

I have a question for the group. I have a group of 3 Tarapoto Imi's in a 66 gal viv. I've had them in there a few months after having moved them out of a smaller tank back in early June. There are 2 calling males and one proven female (she produced a few tads while in the old tank). Thing is that in the time they've been in this new viv, I haven't noticed that they've produced any new tads and I'm not entirely sure why. The two tanks have generally had the same climate (70-80F, 65-85% humidity, misted a few times daily). Both tanks have been planted fairly heavily with lots of broms (a few are pretty decent in size) and other plants.

Here's the new tank (if it'll help)

Here's the old tank (18" cube exoterra)

I feed them FF's with supplements just about everyday (Herpevite, Rep-Cal, & Naturose). The males still call and all, but I just don't seem to be having much luck with them in this new tank...at least from what I can tell...it can be a bit of a chore trying to peek into some of those broms!

Here the male's calling the female out of one of the broms

At this point, the only thing that I can think of being significantly different between the two tanks is really the size of the tanks and the fact that I have a air circulation fan in the bigger tank. So I'm kinda having to wonder...could the noise of the air fan (3" computer fan) be making breeding conditions unfavourable for them? Does anyone out there have any similar experiences? Let me know what you think!

Thanks in advance!

Ross
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Noise interference?

Are you sure the broms are not full of tads?
Old 09-04-2008, 07:52 PM

I can't say with 100% certainty that every leaf cup is empty, but the ones I can get are empty and I haven't seen much evidence to the contrary (water movement, parents returning consistently to certain cups after typical male mating calls...can't say there's been too many of those either...less than before anyway).

Old 09-04-2008, 08:21 PM
TWI/ASN

just wondering were the imis came from.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:06 PM

Tank looks great! Maybe a few film cannisters would help. Mine always lay in the film cups until they notice I stole all their eggs, then they switch to the broms, and eventually go back to the film cannisters.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:07 PM

I have circulation fans in most of my tanks . My loudest and longest calling frog , my male Colon will call all morning almost non stop , except when the fans start , he will stop for about 10 seconds to find out what is going on then start right up again . It dosen't seem to bother him one bit at all . They never did put out alot of eggs but it hasen't stopped or slowed them so far .
It might just be the change of scenery , or you just haven't seen any .
In a big tank like that you might not see any tads or eggs till they are hopping around . My Intermedius hide them on me now and then .

Man , Your mister nozzles look like mine in my big tanks :lol: Hoses dangling everywere ! :shock:

Mark
Old 09-04-2008, 11:12 PM

ross , shut the fan off for a week not long enuff to rot plant but long enuff too see if it ups air humidity and gets them to breed.
craig
Old 09-06-2008, 01:46 AM

Thanks for all your advice everyone! I was thinking about trying out some film canisters in there, but always had trouble getting the suction cups to stay stuck to whatever for longer than a few days at a time! Anyone got any ideas?

But ooh ooh...I tried shutting off the fan for the past 24 hours and lookit what I found today!

Fresh imi eggs! (just in case you were wondering what that blurry blob was in the middle of that fuzzy picture of a brom)

These guys are looking pretty darned fresh as they don't appear like the embryos have gotten very far along to becoming tads yet...no head and tail bumps forming as yet!

sounddrive - I got these guys from Mark Pepper at Understory Enterprises back in late March.

Ross.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:45 AM

:wink: :lol:
Old 09-06-2008, 11:57 AM
TWI/ASN

ahh understory they have some of the most beautiful frogs out there. best of luck
Old 09-07-2008, 06:46 AM

A little update for y'all! I checked in on the eggs today when I got home and turns out that only one of the two are viable (one's embryo went mushy). But the viable one seems to be growing at a pretty good rate. The head and tail are clearly starting to take form and differentiate and seems to be doing well so far!

Oh...so I made another discovery a little later on! This one REALLY made me wish I owned a GOOD digital camera, cuz after dumping in some FF's, out popped one of the males with a wiggling little surprise on his back! They've been getting busy in that tank for a while now without telling me, as it obviously turns out! I guess I shouldn't be so surprised, afterall they did a great job of hiding them from me last time (hiding them down the back of an exoterra background in their old tank)! Sorry guys, no pics this time...no good digital camera and no film in the good 35mm!

I gotta say this though...you'd think they'd be rather prompt about moving a tad from wherever they picked it up to wherever they're gonna deposit it! I found him with it like over half an hour ago but all he's been doing is sitting around in pretty much one spot, moving only to nab up a FF here and there! He chirps at mom from the upper reaches once in a while, but she's at the bottom of the viv sucking up FF's of her own! They're pretty chillaxed parents! hehe Has anyone else observed this?

Cheers,

Ross.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:09 AM
TWI/ASN

Hey, No I have not seen any interference with noise, I have had great breeding with all kinds of intereference. I live in a party house with loud music and lights on and off at all times. My frogs have never missed a beat!
http://www.azdr.com/ProductDetails.a...=BK-0793828937