Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Breeding, Eggs & Tadpoles
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 02:28 AM

Default Changing out mates...what to expect?

I just switch mates on my female azureus. She's been producing offspring with her sibling all summer. I wanted to give her a rest and possible get a mix in the gene pool so a put a 12-18 month old male in the place of the old male. It's been a few days now and the two are looking good. two clutches have been layed. The first was just two unfertilized eggs. I'm waiting to see if the new 4 are going to develope.

My question is, is there a good or best way to introduce frogs together or or is there any stress when separating a pair. Mine all seem to be fine so I feel I'm safe here but I'd like to know if I should watch out for anything. My new male is a sky blue male and the female is standard dark large spot. I'm interested to see how the offspring come out. Haven't heard him call but I interupted them in the hut when I was worried that they didn't come out to feed.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2007, 12:06 PM
TWI/ASN

there is no stress to the pairs for seperation, frogs are not monogamous, and is always better to switch the males as they will call when intoduced to a new environment for territory reasons and will get the female exited.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ven...340-julio.html
Old 11-08-2007, 06:52 PM

The female doesnt really care which male she is with as long as breeding is good. Shes not going to watch over the eggs anyway. There may be a little down time where the two have to figure things out. The female has to show the new guy "the ropes"

Old 11-09-2007, 01:32 AM

I have found that switching my male about every 4 or 5 good clutches from a female produces great froglets. I have two tanks set up with females and they have been receptive to the male when introduced. In giving the female an off season I believe they will be able to recuperate from the stress to the body of producing the eggs and live longer. They will also be able to produce better froglets. (just my opinion from reading a lot)
My inferalanis and powder blues tend to be a bit aggressive so I tend to just pull the male or females into their own tanks for several months and reintroduce the pair later.
In doing so I see great froglets and no sls.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio
there is no stress to the pairs for separation, frogs are not monogamous, and is always better to switch the males as they will call when intoduced to a new environment for territory reasons and will get the female exited.
IME, there is stress on frogs after separation. We wanted to give our cobalt pair a break in breeding for a few months. We pulled the female out and put her into a 10 gallon tank by herself. She did not eat for 3-4 days and did not come out of hiding. They were is a 20 gallon high together and they never hid and ate like pigs. We decided not to keep them separated and continue stressing her out and we put them back together. Within 30 seconds of putting them back together, he was calling and she was all over him.

Just my experience. I am not saying don't do it. But just observe them carefully after doing so to make sure there isn't any stress.