Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Breeding, Eggs & Tadpoles
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2007, 06:05 AM

Default Flurry Of Egg Laying Activity

Started collecting darts in January of this year with the goal of attaining breeding pairs of several different species. All were 3-4 months of age when purchased so I figured it wouldn't be till late this year of early next year before I saw any breeding activity. Wrong! I am quickly being swamped with eggs from 2 pairs of Sipaliwini, and my trio of galactonotus. In the last month I got three clutches of 6 eggs each from the tincs, and three clutches of 5 eggs each from the galacs.
I was caught a bit off guard. Looks like I need to build another rack just for the eggs and the tadpoles that will hopefully follow. Still no eggs from my Alanis or the terribilis, but plenty of calling.

Here is a happy snap of some 10 day old galac eggs.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2007, 02:54 PM

Congratulations on the flurry! You are very fortunate.

Your luck with the galactonotus has me a bit jealous as well! I have two different morphs and have yet to get any viable eggs from either.

What sort of environment are your galacts in and what is your husbandry routine? Are you doing anything special for them that you are not for your other frogs?

Steven
Old 09-14-2007, 10:37 PM

Hey Steven, Thanks for the reply. I have 2 males and 1 female housed in a 10 gallon tank. It has a sphagnum substrate suspended on a false bottom for good drainage. Pothos cuttings have really taken off so it is heavily planted. Use dried magnolia leaves as leaf litter. They actually laid eggs twice in a curled magnolia leaf that had another curled leave on top that formed a tube. Last clutch was in a coco hut on a deli cup lid. In mid-late August had a heat wave with outdoor temps up to 108F. My AC unit struggled to keep temps below the mid 80's in my frog room. Temps fell the following week and that is when the egg laying began in earnest. Don't know if the temp spike had anything to do with it, or perhaps turning off the lights at mid-day (to help control temps) may have been a factor. I hear my males call only rarely which is strange concerning all the lovemaking going on. Can't really say what the secret code is, guess it's just beginner's luck.
George

Old 09-14-2007, 10:50 PM

George,

Has the group ever given you bad or unfertilized eggs? Also, did you happen to notice the viv. temp once things cooled down and you got the good eggs?

Cindy Dicken and I have just recently been discussing the effect of temperature on galactonotus eggs. I get eggs from my reds regularly, but they are always bad and/or unfertilized. The temp inside their viv. is close to 80 degrees. I'm trying to find ways to lower to see if that has an effect.

Steven
Old 09-15-2007, 02:03 AM

Steven, The first clutch of 5 was laid around 24 August. I have to estimate because I discovered them by accident and they were pretty well trampled and a bit dessicated. Microscopic examination indicated that they were all infertile. Second clutch (again 5) was laid 4 Sep. I left them in the tank for a full day and pulled them the following day. All five are developing nicely. It's been 11 days and I expect them to hatch within a day or two. Yesterday, 13 Sep, I found another clutch of five. I pulled them tonight and examination reveals that all are fertile and undergoing epiboly.
Around the same time I found that first clutch of dud eggs, my tincs laid their first clutch ever. Two of the six eggs were fertile and were viable up until the 8th day when they apparently succumbed to some unknown cause. On 8 Sep they laid their second clutch of six. 4 of the 6 are fertile and developing nicely.
I don't know if it was the temp spike (83F) for a few days followed by a cooldown (76f), or if it was turning off lights at mid day. I do notice that when I turn off the lights mid afternoon I seem to get much more calling from my tincs.
I do recall reading something about galacs that said they prefer higher temps in the low 80s. They are a lowland species from southern Brazil and will even bask for short periods, so I've heard. Their breeding tank is the same 10 gal tank that they were raised in as small juveniles. I cleaned it once after the first 3.5 months and since the plants have taken off I haven't broken it down in the last 6 months. I rinse everything down once or twice a week and it seems that the nitrogen cycle can keep up with waste absorption with no problem. The breeder who I acquired these frogs from (Under The Canopy Farms) tells me that they won't start breeding until they became very comfortable/acclimated to their surroundings. Once they start laying eggs their enclosure should not be tampered with. Cleaning and/or changing substrate or moving them into a different enclosure will throw them off for months until they become reacclimated. They thrive best under conditions of "benevolent neglect". Fed regularly, misted heavily once or twice a week, and most importantly left alone in a heavily planted enclosure.
As far as egg care I have pulled the eggs after at least 24 hours. I rinse them off with a methylene blue solution from a pump spray bottle. Two drops of meth blue in six ounces of water. I line a 20 oz plastic sandwich box with saturated paper towelling. I place the eggs in a petri dish uncovered, and place the petri on the wet paper towel in the sandwich box. I place the lid on the sandwich box to hold in the humidity. Snapping the lid tight is not necessary. Each day I examine the eggs under a stereo dissecting scope. I spritz them daily with the meth blue water. I blotter up any excess water to keep it from pooling up and flooding the eggs. Eggs are kept at ambient room temp of 75-78F. So far no problems with mold or mildew.
George