• 1 Post By JPccusa
  • 1 Post By Gamble
  • 1 Post By Baltimore Bryan
  • 1 Post By NM Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 08:57 PM

Default Morph time for pumilios?

Hello Everyone,

I was searching around a bit and cant seem to find the specific answer (I know its out there but seem to be having bad luck locating it )

...anyhow, I am looking for a general time frame to expect a tad to fully morph/ develop into a froglet.. Anyone have a time frame I can expect?? I have a pair of cristobals FYI.

Ive had tads hatched and moved for a while now. I also see a very large tad/froglet in a brom axle very visible most of the time. It already has arms and legs but still has no color (other than pale grey) and has a large tail still. Im not sure if the tads I originally saw didnt make it and this tad is from a different clutch?? but that was back at the end of November....so I have a hard time accepting the tad I see developing is from that same original clutch going on 5 months later now. I would hope he climbs out of the water in the next few weeks, but I was telling myself that a few weeks ago already.

So, who has some info on how long I should expect generally from clutch to finish. I am trying to gauge a general time frame and what everyone has learned from their experiences. BTW, The tad is BIG! lol

Thanks for the help!

Leucs, Azureus, Amazonicus, Cristobal, Bastis, El Dorado, Galacts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Morph time for pumilios?

about 2 months as a tad till morphs into a froglet
Dart guy 16 likes this.
Dart_Man (04-01-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 09:19 PM

Eggs take about 2 weeks and tads take about 2 months
Dart_Man (04-01-2014)

Old 03-31-2014, 09:51 PM
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart_Man View Post
...So, who has some info on how long I should expect generally from clutch to finish...
If by finish you mean "sale," make sure to read this thread: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/gen...ates-what.html
Pumilo likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to JPccusa For This Useful Post:
Dart_Man (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPccusa View Post
If by finish you mean "sale," make sure to read this thread: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/gen...ates-what.html

Thanks for the replies everyone

In regards to "finished" I probably should have phrased that better. I really just meant OOW, not when a froglet would be suitable for sale/shipping. Anyhow, sale is not my intention so that shouldnt be a worry....with that being said, thank you for the link!

Back to the original question, Its sounding like it is approx 2 months till OOW?? Anyone have a different opinion? I did have 2 weeks from clutch to tad. If this is all true for the time frames, then my first clutch must have not made it unfortunately, as that was nearly 5 months ago and still no sign of froglets

I also dont really notice any real sign of feeder eggs in the water.... should I be able to see them? And how often do they feed them generally?

Anyway, all fun stuff! Its fun being able to check in on this little one once in a while. Keeping my fingers crossed there are a few others!

Thanks for the help

Old 04-01-2014, 02:38 AM

Just Bc you haven't seen it, it doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't any.

They're real good at hiding.

I've had it happen twice now ... tore down a tank completely ... but yet a few days later I find a froglet.

Just keeps your eyes peeled.
Dart_Man likes this.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:38 AM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart_Man View Post
Back to the original question, Its sounding like it is approx 2 months till OOW?? Anyone have a different opinion? I did have 2 weeks from clutch to tad. If this is all true for the time frames, then my first clutch must have not made it unfortunately, as that was nearly 5 months ago and still no sign of froglets

I also dont really notice any real sign of feeder eggs in the water.... should I be able to see them? And how often do they feed them generally?
Yeah 2 months is about what I have noticed with the pumilio. By 5 months unfortunately it definitely sounds like they didn't make it unfortunately, unless you have a very densely planted tank and somehow haven't seen the froglets yet. I usually think they are surprisingly easy to spot at least 1 when they are froglets because I often see them in open places, like right on bromeliad leaves or in the open leaf litter. If you are busy or have lots of tanks to feed, I can see how it would be easy to pass by and not notice froglets though.

Just because you don't see feeder eggs doesn't mean they aren't being fed. I've seen them sometimes, but not others. The females certainly don't feed tadpoles multiple times a day, I think more like 1-3 times per week.

Don't get discouraged, it's a little frustrating sometimes but seeing a tiny pumilio (especially finding several unexpected froglets) is one of the best parts of the hobby for me. Just make sure they have good deposition spots with water in them that don't get rotted or dried up, feed and supplement the parents well, and you should have success soon.

Also, when you say you see a big tadpole, it might be close. If it has both front and back legs, it should be very, very close (within a week or so) of leaving the water. By then it should start to take on some color.

Bryan
Dart_Man likes this.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:45 AM

I'm @ the 2 month mark as we speak and have 2 basti froglets emerge from brom this past weekend with another 3 tads in the water. Like you said I never seen the female lay eggs to feed them but the male calls all day to her. So don't be to worried as there isn't anything you could do @ this point with obligates and feeding. Be patient and you'll eventually find froglets hopping around. Make sure you viv is well seeded with springs as you already know. Best of luck and keep us posted.
Dart_Man likes this.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Crawler View Post
I'm @ the 2 month mark as we speak and have 2 basti froglets emerge from brom this past weekend with another 3 tads in the water. Like you said I never seen the female lay eggs to feed them but the male calls all day to her. So don't be to worried as there isn't anything you could do @ this point with obligates and feeding. Be patient and you'll eventually find froglets hopping around. Make sure you viv is well seeded with springs as you already know. Best of luck and keep us posted.
You definietly encouraged me to get off my butt last night and seed all my tanks again and feed all my cultures (just for good measure)! Thanks for the push! haha

I will keep the updates coming....