Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Breeding, Eggs & Tadpoles
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2006, 06:59 PM

Default leuc breeding question

i have had a female(2 years old) and a male(2 years old) together for 5 months he called occoasionally but never eggs? i got another male and introduced him to the pair and he called immediately and in three days i got 4 eggs that look fertile? my question is why with the new male did she lay eggs in 3 days when she has been with the other male for 5 months??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2006, 07:18 PM

It's possible
Old 11-06-2006, 07:37 PM

maybe it was because there was competition there, with alot of frogs that call, like some reed frogs it helps to have more then one male in the enclosure to push them to compete not sure if this is the case with leucomelas'

i also have a question did you increase misting or feeding?

Old 11-06-2006, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbal
It's possible
i know its possible because i have eggs now :wink: but why did she not lay before with the first male?? they were together 5 months the new male has only been in there 4 days!! and i got eggs
Old 11-10-2006, 12:12 AM

PDFs are generally very aggressive animals, and they do get picky about mates... just because its a boy and a girl doesn't mean breeding. Seems that often with very aggressive animals (I've seen this in cichlids) the pair actually need to have another male around for the male in the pair to get aggressive and actually court the female. This is not always needed with all PDFs, but often seems to help... even if its just a recording of a call played in the room!

If she bred with the new male, then she probibly had something she didn't like about the old one. If it was the old one, likely he just needed some competition to get the courtship going. If they do fine in a trio, even f you don't know who is playing dad, I'd leave them be, it seems to be working!
Old 11-10-2006, 01:32 AM

thanks cory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeroKero
PDFs are generally very aggressive animals, and they do get picky about mates... just because its a boy and a girl doesn't mean breeding. Seems that often with very aggressive animals (I've seen this in cichlids) the pair actually need to have another male around for the male in the pair to get aggressive and actually court the female. This is not always needed with all PDFs, but often seems to help... even if its just a recording of a call played in the room!

If she bred with the new male, then she probibly had something she didn't like about the old one. If it was the old one, likely he just needed some competition to get the courtship going. If they do fine in a trio, even f you don't know who is playing dad, I'd leave them be, it seems to be working!
Old 11-10-2006, 01:48 PM

That must be the problem with mine, I have 2 females and one male and I hear calling all the time. No breeding. I have the humidity at 96% and they get fed very heavily. I was hoping to have some eggs by now.
1.1.4 Imitators
1.1.0 Powder Blue Tincs
Old 11-10-2006, 06:14 PM

well, the situation is different from above due to your opposite ratio. I don't remember if leucs egg eat or not... which could be another reason you don't have eggs. Do you have enough room in the tank to toss in another male, preferably two? That could help.

Also, cycle them! The more people I talk to, the more it seems to be the case that these animals are seasonal breeders. Dry them out and put them on a different staple food for a couple months. Something like FFs during the dry season, and a couple weeks of termites as their main food during the first couple weeks of their wet season (or something else nice and fatty). If that doesn't work, get a couple more males.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:49 PM

Yeah, I have room for another male. I don't care for termites, so the only other food source I have readily available is springtails, but they already get those. I can't really dry the tank out because it is all glass and there is no where for the water to evaporate. Oh well, they will breed or not, we'll see. My auratus aren't breeding yet either and there are 9 of them, so plenty of competetition.
1.1.4 Imitators
1.1.0 Powder Blue Tincs
Old 11-10-2006, 06:56 PM

Are you misting the leuc tank? If so, either cut down misting or stop all together (with a glass lid, they won't dry out). To drop the humidity in my glass lidded tanks I just take off the glass, put on a screen lid (checking to make sure they haven't had a recent FF feed or else flies everywhere lol) and let the tank air out for a bit. Replace glass lid, should have lower humidity, and just don't mist, or air out the tank like that on a regular basis. Make sure they have access to a body of water, blah blah, and that should work. With my tricolor/anthonyi during the dry season I just keep a screen lid on their tanks. I mist regularly and they have ponds available to them, so no worries on drying out, except humidity wise. I am doing the same with my mantellas and reed frogs.

If the auratus have matured inthe same tank they are in... you could always try redecorating a little bit, like moving bowers, adding new ones, etc. Breeding spots get a commotion going again, and could get them interested in each other. Really just depends on their age and what not tho.