Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Blogs > MonarchzMan
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

1. Old Comment

Big Ideas for Grad School - Grad School Update

Oh no, I won't be. I might not, and likely will not, get all of the answers I want (i.e. how animals are treated/deaths), but I will at least be able to get quotas and such, and that alone will mean a lot just looking at how many animals are leaving legally. I hope that I can expand upon that, which might be a bit more difficult.
  2. Old Comment

As a partial grad student ( i unfortunatly could not finish because of money) i noticed that Although you set out to find a certain answer, in this case info on the pet trade, it is perfectly fine if you come short. But use that. explain in your paper why you cant get reliable info. As a histoy student i was doing a ton of research on 19th century sailing music. I found it hard to get reliable primary sources, however there was a reason for it. It was mostly word of mouth and alot was changed. This point evolved into a another aspect of my paper.

So i guess i'm just saying don't get discouraged if you dont get some info. Because that in itself tells you something
  3. Old Comment

I'd agree. I doubt that it will be terribly easy to get answers out of people in regards to the pet trade, but I imagine I'll get some results. We'll see, for sure. If nothing else I'll at least be able to get numbers from export permits. I'd like to get additional info that I listed, and that's an ideal situation, but not necessarily a realistic one.

As for Eastern Carolina, I contacted Dr. Summers a couple times about doing a masters with him, and he wasn't taking on students. MSU will work well, and honestly, I've got the knowledge I need in regards to dendrobatids, and there are people at MSU I can pick brains to apply different concepts to dendrobatids. And while it'd be nice to have Dr. Summers as a mentor, I kinda think that it'd be nice to make a name for myself here at MSU. There are only a few researchers that study PDFs, so it'd be nice to make another spot in this country known for PDF researchers
  4. Old Comment

It all sounds interesting - but I think you're going to find a lot of mystery/intrigue in trying to get true numbers for "farming/import/who/what/where" (etc).

I question whether it is possible to get the true answers when it comes to this because "everybody's got something to hide".

Good luck though. MSU has some people on staff well versed in PDFs (you would know more than I), but Eastern Carolina obviously has a well developed staff in that regards as well.

Not to mention the weather is nicer.

Good luck.

s
  5. Old Comment

Graduate Research Progress

If you can track down Justin Yeager (good luck) - I know he was doing undergrad and possibly post grad work on Pumilio mate selection.

He may be able to help you further distill your thoughts on what you would like to do.

Good luck.

s
  6. Old Comment

Research assistant here. Will work for cost of airfare, food, and a place to sleep!
  7. Old Comment

Sounds interesting...