No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike1980
  • 1 Post By epiphytes etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 07:34 AM

Default new frogs, i never see them eating

So I'm a new frogger, I've had three auratus for about 3 days now, they are about 4 months out of the water. My tank was set up and seeded with springs for about 3 months, bugs a plenty!! Lots of plants and leaves and a coco hut for them to hide in/under. I saw one frog the first day they arrived eating springs like crazy! Other than that, I don't see them eating. I added some dusted ff's and when I looked again, the dust was off most of them.

I added a piece of apple to help keep the ff's in the area that the frogs seem to be at the most. I haven't seen them out and about eating since that first day. I'm assuming because of all the springs, they don't need to come out of hiding to eat the ff's. Anyway, my main question is, if they are mainly eating the springs, how can I make sure they get their calcium & vitamins?

Thanks

Last edited by pinkpony; 05-06-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 09:20 AM

Default Re: new frogs, i never see them eating

This was what happened to me when I got my group of variabilis. I would see them hunt springs and ignore the flies but after the spring population decreases a bit they will go for the flies. Also you may not see them hunting flies but they probably are getting a couple each.

I cannot help you with how you can get calcium to your frogs with seeded springs but you should be fine once they transition over.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:28 AM

Springs actually do contain calcium. I dont think its enough to suit their needs but its something for now. The frogs should come around, i wenth through the same thing with my azureus for about a week or two. The minute i put them in they attacked whatever springs they saw and ignored the flies. I had the same cocerns as you. They came around and now they are pigs. Four months now and they devour the flies. The frogs may still be getting use to the tank and stressed some what. I wouldn't worry yet. Thay can go a little while without suppliments i would think.
GP dynamite likes this.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:03 PM

Dust the apple slice. The bugs will pick it up when they are foraging. What are you using for supplements? I'm really not surprised at all that you haven't seen your frogs eat. Give them some time to adjust, and they'll come out more. Just try not to hover, and make them nervous.
GP dynamite likes this.

Livin' La Vida Vivarium
Old 05-06-2013, 03:31 PM

Yeah I'm sure they are still getting used to their new viv and are still destressing. I added a few more dusted ff's. I didn't see many of them in there but with all the leaf litter and plants its hard to guess how many if any were eating. I've seen 2 poops so I know at least one or 2 are eating for sure.

I just wish I didn't have so many springs in there so I know for sure they would eat the dusted flies. Anyone have any ideas on how long it'll take for the majority of them to get eaten? I was lookin into getting the pink springs, glad I didn't. It's loadedddd with the white ones as it is. Possibly even silver ones? I didn't add them, they are almost shiny silver. They just popped up?

Im using the pink rep cal calcium and the blue rep cal vitamins. Ty for the idea of dusting the apple, I added some powder on it!

And I know hovering is stressful so I try not to do it, if I happen to walk by I admire my plants (Im shocked I haven't killed any yet LOL) and try to see if I see any. But after a few seconds I walk away. Is that considered hovering? I do it a few times a day..

Thanks everyone
Old 05-07-2013, 01:32 PM
TWI/ASN

They'll eventually become accustomed to seeing you around the tank. One way to see if they're eating is to lightly mist the tank. FF become active when misted and you'll see what's in there. If you have tons in there, don't add more. They will very helm the frogs as well. You shouldn't see many flies if any at all before feeding time. I'm sure they're eating from a hidden spot. One of my leucs does the same. No worries.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:29 AM
TWI/ASN

Although people have used those supplements for years, Repashy Calcium Plus would be a better choice, and you can use that as your only supplement if you like.

I sounds like your doing well with not hovering : ) Down the road you might consider a nice pile of leaf litter towards the front of the tank and feed over that area. I have found with my auratus, that they are a bit more bold and at least come out for feeding when they have that leaf litter to dive into when a big human gets to close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpony View Post
Im using the pink rep cal calcium and the blue rep cal vitamins. Ty for the idea of dusting the apple, I added some powder on it!

And I know hovering is stressful so I try not to do it, if I happen to walk by I admire my plants (Im shocked I haven't killed any yet LOL) and try to see if I see any. But after a few seconds I walk away. Is that considered hovering? I do it a few times a day..

Thanks everyone

Tags
flies, frogs, fruit, hiding, springtails