Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2006, 06:24 PM

Default Is this Dart frog agression?

I haved looked into my Azureus tank on 3 ocasions 2 of which were last night and just a minute ago and saw my fattest Azureus (pretty sure it's a female) standing on top of my smallest one (although they are all pretty close in size and age). When this happens the other frog curls its head down really low and stays that way once the other frog has been scared away by my approach. in every case it is the same two frogs in the same situation.

I originally bought a trio what was suspected to be a 2.1 ratio. the guy at the store said that they were still a little to young to tell by looking at the toe pads. they are supposed to be around a year old give or take a month or two. I never see the third frog involved in either end of this so I am beginning to think that I either have all females or two females and a male. The reason that I suspect all females is because I would think that by that age there would be enough difference between the toepads to tell the sex. let me know what you think.

Funny thing is that they all hang around eachother most of the time no problem and all are very bold, although the smallest one is a little more skiddish. I also suspect that the agressor is gravid and ready to lay because she is really fat.

Here are some pics, She moved off of the frog just before I snappd these off and then hopped away. So I only caught her partially on top of the other DF

Anybody else have pics of dart frog agression?

You can sort of see she still has one foot on the other frog

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2006, 10:37 AM

Marty at MistKing.com has a clip of some WWF action going on...

http://www.mistking.com/images/video/al ... ession.wmv
Old 01-14-2006, 03:58 PM

These are photos from an Azureus Male-to-Male fight:

There wasn't any doubt when I saw it - clearly a dominance act and one frog was getting his rear-end kicked.

Old 01-14-2006, 06:36 PM

I'm DL the movie rig now on my sllllllooooooooowwwww dial up connection.
Thanks for the link. Rad3Dad

Alan that is sort of like what I have seen except the dominant frog stands on all fours on top of the other and just stays there.

I'll continue to keep an eye on things. Right now they are all sitting in a group no problem. I'll remove the frog if I feel that it is being stressed, but 99% of the time everything looks fine.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:41 PM

Just finished watching the vid, and that is exactly how the submissive frog hunches down when I see this going on. The only thing is that I have never seen the agressor activley forcing it down like that.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:29 PM

Paul,

You may want to separate them even if 99% of the time everything looks okay. You have apparently observed this behavior several times and it is unlikely to stop. So far I surmise that the frog being dominated has not been seriously hurt but that could change very quickly and you would be left with an injured/dead frog and kicking yourself for not acting sooner. Just my 0.02.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E. Wog
I'm DL the movie rig now on my sllllllooooooooowwwww dial up connection.
Thanks for the link. Rad3Dad

Alan that is sort of like what I have seen except the dominant frog stands on all fours on top of the other and just stays there.

I'll continue to keep an eye on things. Right now they are all sitting in a group no problem. I'll remove the frog if I feel that it is being stressed, but 99% of the time everything looks fine.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:55 PM

Yeah, 'll move him/her asap. I really liked the looks of all 3 in there but I guess moving him/her will give me an excuse to get another breeding group going as soon as I sex these 3

As to my secondary question in the post. Do you think that by 1 year of age it would be easy to tell the difference between male and female toepad sizes?
As stated earlier I am begining to believe that I have 3 yearling females because all of their toepads are all about the same size and their back bones are pretty well defined, much more so than the males in the pic that Alan Zimmerman posted. What are your thoughts?
Old 01-14-2006, 10:44 PM

Well the toepad method isn't infallible but it usually provides a good hint. You should be able to see a difference at 1 year. Here are a couple of photos to give you some reference point.

Female following the male and stroking him in traditional mating response. Note the widened toepads on front feet of the male.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/ ... 6_6630.jpg

Close up of female front foot as she strokes male and part of his front foot showing as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/ ... 2_7278.jpg

Neither photo is totally revealing of feet of both sexes so they aren't the best reference shots.

Bill
Old 01-14-2006, 11:12 PM

the toepads of my frogs are about the same as the female in the second pic, nowhere near as splayed out as the males. Thanks For the reference.