Dendroboard banner

Setting up my first Viv

763 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  RichardSimm 
#1 ·
Hello All , I am just getting started in PDFs I am going to be getting and setting up my firs Viv in the next few weeks. I have opted for the 24x18x18 complete kit from Josh's frogs. After talking to the people at TCS and Josh's I feel that I am making the right decision of allowing my plants and microfauna a 6-8 week period to become established before I add the 4 D. Leucomelas "Fine Spot " that I am planning on getting. This is going tp become my outlet since I cant practically keep my morelia in naturalistic Vivaria anymore since I am trying to transition from hobbiest to breeder and will fingers crossed be producing 200 plus hatchlings every year. Any other suggestion from you seasoned vets of the PDF world for a long time herper first time PDF keeper ?

Cheers
Richard

#3 ·
Mostly just wanted to confirm. Since I posted this I have I have changed species to southern R. Variabilis I have been posting on some species specific threads and getting great responses. Any advice is always welcome. I have a pretty good understanding of Microfauna and their function within a Viv but its always nice to get confirmation from experienced keepers. one question would be would a 1 nozzle misting system be sufficient for a 18x18x24 Exo-terra ?

Cheers
Richard

#5 ·
Keep reding up and your patience will pay off. I am glad to hear that you're going to set up your tank and let it get up and running for a while before you get your frogs. There's no need to rush. Take your time and keep reading up. There's a ton of great info on this board. Just keep reading and you'll learn a ton and it will all pay off in the end. Best of luck!

#6 ·
Thanks everyone I am planning on getting it up and running by mid January and not getting frogs until march so my microfauna and plants can establish them selves and begin to work through the initial nitrogen peak that I would expect in a new Viv. I have been spending about 6 hours a day on this forum and on various PDF sites . I have exchanged a few emails with Adam Hess because he is working with the species and local that I want to work with. I have picked out 5 Neos that I want to use and I think I am going to go with some peperomia Angulata and some jewel orchids as well as lots of leaf litter for the Viv floor. After reading through the FAQ thread I think I am going to go with making my own GS background both for positioning branches and imbedding Film canisters at different heights. I read a great Idea for using inserts to pull the eggs IF my frogs get to that point.

Cheers
Richard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.