Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2004, 05:11 PM

Default divided 20 gallon tank

Kole, my tinc is around 4-5 months old, and about an inch sn-vt. I originally planned on keeping E. tricolor, and not sure if I would want to mix them. Although, Sean Stewart told me that I can keep tincs with tricolors effectively if the tank is sizable and lots of cover is provided. I have been planning on dividing the standard 20 gal high tank in half. A pair of tricolors would do just fine on one side. My tank is heavily, heavily planted, with lots of tall plants and branches, but plenty of open area for tincs near the front.

If I divided, I think it would give Kole a floor area of his section of 12 x 12 inches. I thought about getting a second one, but since tincs don't climb very much, I'm not sure if 12 x 12 is not enough floor area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2004, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Default Re: divided 20 gallon tank

I think that is a bit small for what you want to do. Now maybe a 55 gal split would be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain_Frog
Kole, my tinc is around 4-5 months old, and about an inch sn-vt. I originally planned on keeping E. tricolor, and not sure if I would want to mix them. Although, Sean Stewart told me that I can keep tincs with tricolors effectively if the tank is sizable and lots of cover is provided. I have been planning on dividing the standard 20 gal high tank in half. A pair of tricolors would do just fine on one side. My tank is heavily, heavily planted, with lots of tall plants and branches, but plenty of open area for tincs near the front.

If I divided, I think it would give Kole a floor area of his section of 12 x 12 inches. I thought about getting a second one, but since tincs don't climb very much, I'm not sure if 12 x 12 is not enough floor area.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:57 PM

i think 12 x 12 is small but you can add floor space with levels. what materials are you used to usig to build with? if you find the right wood or even use screen and mortar you can add more to the landscape thus adding more to the floor space. example: the bottom is 12 x 12 and them you find flatter peice of wood that has the space of 4 x 8, build a led that takes takes away 1 x 12 on the floor but adds 4 x 12, you have 224 inches of floor space now instead of 144.

Old 05-20-2004, 08:53 PM

Default ok

I never actually saw this post until today. Ok, about building multiple flooring, I do have a long rock that adds more of a terrace in the right side of my vivarium. Kole sleeps on that side of that tank every night, (and has less tall plants) so if I ever did section off the tank, that would be his side.

Forgive my ignorance, I have never built a custom cage, but plan to eventually. About building multiple floor level, do you mean using multiple sided boards / or rocks to make it slope like a large hill, or talking about making some sort of "overhang." as in having a ledge that sticks out, but somewhat of a cavern underneath? I think I see how you got multiple flooring. If you know your trig, the "hypotenuse" is the longest side. The slope of your tank would be the hypotenuse. The more it slopes, the more floor area you will have. But I don't know if my frog would like something that hilly, I may just have to move him out eventually.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:16 PM

I was thinking that if you want to add surface area or increase your useable space, you can build terraces or level.

i would do this with either creating cliff sections that jut out mid heigth but still leave the floor area mostly the same size. i would either use stainless steele mesh cloth or a waterproof and safe expanding foam. both would be covered, sealed to some degree and planted.

here is a link that might work to better explain what i do.http://www.terra5designs.com/gallery...llery_one.html

hope this helps.