Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Leuc tads hatched in 8 1/2 days

My female leuc laid 6 eggs on December 3rd between 5 and 6pm. We moved them to the nursery on December 5th and we determined the male fertilized 3.

Nursery setup is a 32 quart Sterilite container filled 3/4 full with aged tap water treated with Blackwater Extract, an internal filter (no heater necessary, temps remain constant between 73-74) and individual mesh-bottom cups.

One egg perished December 10th (day 7). The egg sac was gone and the tad had shriveled up, so possibly the sac dissolved prematurely?

The evening of December 11th (day 8) I checked and the other two eggs were continuing to develop into tads.

December 12th first thing in the morning I checked the tads and their egg sacs too had dissolved. They looked like they had just died as they hadn't shriveled up yet. Since we thought everything was gone at this point, we went to toss the whole lot (3 unfertilized eggs and 3 dead tads) and those two tads wiggled like mad!

Anyone hear of leuc tads hatching in 8 days? Is it possible that when pH is high it could cause the egg sac to dissolve prematurely? I know there are differing opinions on pH and tad rearing. My pH just tested high at 7.8, so I'm slowly adding more Blackwater Extract to bring it down.

How long does it take the gills to develop to be functional? I thought maybe for the tad that perished on day 6 it's gills hadn't yet developed enough to survive premature hatching, and two more days gave the other tads enough time to make it?

They still look fine today. They are bigger and the yolk is about half the size it was yesterday. Do you start to feed them once the yolk is almost dissolved, just completely dissolved, or dissolved for a certain period of time?

Experience and opinions appreciated~

Jill

2:2 leucs and 2 tads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2005, 07:17 PM

Jill,

First off, congrats on your two tads. While eight days may seem on the short side, the numbers cited for days from laying to hatching are average values and I've personally seen some pretty wide variation within the same species across clutches. I had one leuc clutch that went pretty fast - can't remember off the top of my head the exact number of days.

The tad that died early could have perished for a number of reasons. With time, you'll develop the skill to note which developing tads aren't progressing properly and know that they won't make it. I doubt if a pH of 7.8 was the contributing factor. However bringing the pH down is a good idea anyway.

I generally wait between 3 and 5 days post hatching before feeding a very small amount of food to new tads. This allows for time to fully absorb the yolk sac and avoids problems with mouth rot. You can generally determine when tads are ready for feeding by how active they appear in their cup.

Best of luck with your little ones!

Bill
Old 12-13-2005, 08:13 PM

Congrats on the eggs and tads. 8 days is very quick for hatching, as my average is right at 3 weeks for leucs. However, my temps are around 65 Fahrenheit, and increased temps do cause quicker development.

As Bill said, wait a few days before feeding so that you don't have mouth fungus form. Don't be discouraged if these tads don't make it--8 days is very quick. Watch for another batch of eggs 10-14 days after the first clutch.

All the best.

Old 12-14-2005, 03:26 AM

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. I'll keep an eye on them while I bring the pH down. And I'll wait to feed them until Thurs/Fri.

There tails grew amazingly long today!

Jill