facebook

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By srrrio
  • 1 Post By Gocubs
  • 1 Post By Ed
  • 1 Post By 781frogger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 07:32 PM

Smile What is the Highest Temperature a Frog can Take before it Dies?

What is the Highest Temperature a Frog can Take before it Dies?

I ask because I picked one up from a Reptile Show and it Died on the way Home.

My Air Conditioning was not working too good.

From now on I will keep a Thermometer in the Car so I know the Temperature.

But I was wondering when should I be concerned? At what Temperature?

Patricia, Cobalt, Azureus, Leucomela, Green and Black Auratus, Vent Thumbnails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 08:29 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: What is the Highest Temperature a Frog can Take before it Dies?

What you need to take with you ANYTIME there is a remote possibility that you will be transporting frogs in your car, is a cooler, or a styrofoam shipping container. Bringing ice/heat packs or phase panels, and temperature gage is smart as well.

You have been on this board long enough to know what the best temps are for dart frogs and they should be kept between that range.. period. The highest temp they can take before they die... should be irrelevant.
Baltimore Bryan likes this.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:34 PM

My tanks are all at 86 as I type. They range from 67-87 on a daily basis. I have healthy actively breeding frogs. These are tropical animals so 70-80 is a little overkill if you ask me. That being said, anything dies in a closed car on a hundred degree day.
jeeperrs likes this.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:51 PM

A better question is what is a given frog's desired temperature range and how will you consistently achieve temperatures within that range/those parameters.

That said, for most dart frogs, somewhere in the 70s. The 80s is too high for most darts, with the possible exception of galacts and retics that seem to prefer slightly warmer temps (low 80s). Mid-seventies is generally ideal for darts, although Phyllobates prefer it cooler.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:54 PM

Worst case scenario: you can always get a cold soda from a gas station and put them in with the frogs.

One important thing to note: frogs may not die immediately from overheating, but prolonged exposure to higher temperatures can harm frogs/kill them as well.

Sorry your frog bit it.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:55 PM
TWI/ASN

Always bring a styro cooler with cool gel packs and/or phase 22 panels when there is any chance it could get warm. I'm not really sure there is a way to find a certain temperature above which the frogs die because it is not that simple. Some highland frogs can't tolerate heat as well as other species. Some of my tanks hit mid 80's during hot summer afternoons, but the frogs have access to cool water, shade from leaves and coco-huts, and can dig down a bit in the moss to cool themselves down. However, if you put a frog in a small plastic sealed container and the temperature is in the mid 80's, the container will heat up much faster and the frog can't do anything to avoid the heat.
I personally wouldn't feel comfortable transporting frogs in the car when the inside temp. is over 76-78 for the reasons above, lower if it is a species of frog that naturally prefers cooler temperatures.
Bryan

*Edit*- not sure how long ago they died, but if it was recently (like a few hours ago), keep them cool for a bit and see what happens. I once was driving with 3 auratus, got too hot, they started seizing and then 2 looked like they had died and stretched out. When I got home, I kept them near cool packs (but not on ice or anything, don't want to shock them) and they completely rebounded in a few hours. They are fine to this day... and I learned my lesson from that to always bring styro cooler and cool packs.

Last edited by Baltimore Bryan; 09-08-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:58 PM

So I have one person saying to keep the Habitat in the 70's and another saying 87 with a 20 degree difference throughout the day.

Those two numbers are quite apart so what do the rest of you agree on?

Patricia, Cobalt, Azureus, Leucomela, Green and Black Auratus, Vent Thumbnails
Old 09-08-2012, 09:07 PM
TWI/ASN

Maybe we could help you out a bit more if you told us what species of frog it was, since some can handle heat better than others.
70's are pretty much fine for all frogs. Low 80's (80-83) won't hurt many frogs, especially more forgiving species such as leucs and auratus. I wouldn't go over that. I suggest you aim for 76 or so, and with night/day fluctuations the temps should never go high enough to be deadly.
When some people say their tanks hit 85, for example, I think you should take that as saying it's possible for it to happen occasionally without harming the frogs, but it should not be the goal to keep your tank that hot all the time.
Bryan
Old 09-08-2012, 09:43 PM

Thanked 2,733 Times in 1,795 Posts

The reason that there are recommendations to keep the frogs in the low to mid-70s is a byproduct of how people are recommended to keep the frogs. When an enclosure is pretty much sealed up and there is an attempt to maximize the humidity as much as possible, then you are also preventing the frog from being able to physiologically cool itself through evaporative cooling where the frog takes water up from the substrate and allows it to evaporate from it's skin....
In the wild, many of the lowland species don't live in the low to mid 70s year round.... and there are documented examples that those temperatures are sub-optimal for at least one species (Dendrobates auratus (see thesis discussed here http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/sci...tml#post680490).

This is why there are some significant variations in the recommendations of the temperature suggestions for the frogs... The highest temperature I've seen a dendrobatid function was with a skin temperature is in the mid-90s F (shot with an infrared temp gun). It was a Dendrobates truncatus and it was actively foraging. The enclosure was well ventilated and set up so the frog could retreat to a lower temperature if it could but showed no signs of discomfort.....

Some comments

Ed
Old 09-08-2012, 09:50 PM

Thanked 2,733 Times in 1,795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by that Frog Guy View Post
What is the Highest Temperature a Frog can Take before it Dies?

I ask because I picked one up from a Reptile Show and it Died on the way Home.

My Air Conditioning was not working too good.

From now on I will keep a Thermometer in the Car so I know the Temperature.

But I was wondering when should I be concerned? At what Temperature?
What you are asking is what is the Tmax (maximal temperature an animal can take before it dies), and this varies due to a lot of conditions, such as the ability to use physiological and/or behavioral cooling. This can't be determined accurately after the fact for your frog since
1) it was in a deli cup with little to no ventilation to allow for evaporative cooling
2) if the sun hit the container at all, the temperature could have easily been in excess of what you were feeling in the car
3) the frog was probably severely stressed
4) the temperature at which it was kept in the pervious week to ten days modifys temperature sensitivity

In general, the frog probably would have been fine if it was prevented from getting over 80 F during the trip home.

Some comments

Ed
Baltimore Bryan likes this.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:38 PM

i am traveling with frog in a closed, wet container. i was not aware it would get so hot otherwise i would have planned different. my max temp said it was 115 and he is still alive, hopefully he stays alive. just wanted to mention that its possible to survive high temps with proper water. i was hoping to keep him 85 max but guess didnt work. i will pack him with ice tomorrow
Wirewiggler likes this.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:02 PM

Many years ago the San Francisco Bay area underwent a terrible heat wave with temperatures up to 115F. We didn't have air at the time and left the kids home on a Sunday afternoon. They left the house closed up and temperatures were well over 100 in the house maybe up to 110. I've left the light off on all the tanks to keep the frogs cooler. I lost a few frogs that day, but none in the tank. They just hunkered down in cool spots in their tanks and made it through fine. The frogs I lost were froglets in plastic tubs and a trio of bassleri I had gotten a few days before that were also in a plastic tub. If the temperature spike is short they can take much higher temperatures than people expect.

Best,

Chuck
Old 05-03-2015, 05:58 AM

I had some mantella that I brought home from a show when my car AC wasn't working seize and appear to die, but I left them and 36ish hours later they woke up and survived for a few years. I don't count em out, till there are signs of decomp.