Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2005, 02:01 AM

Default beginner questions

how many suriname cobalts could i house in a 29 gallon vivarium? and coud i have any carnivorous plants with them? or is there a posibility of the frogs getting hurt or eatin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2005, 02:41 AM

the cobalts would be fine with the carnivorous plants IMO, because they get up to 2 inches long. You dont want to put in any venus flytraps though, because even though they are fine for the frogs, the traps would just get triggered constantly, and they wouldnt do to well. Also, they might get stuck to a drosera, so if i were you, i would go with a small lowland nepenthes, like N. Ampullaria. However, the major problem would be females fighting. They can get very vicious, sometimes even lethal. It would be stressful, and eventually, the more submissive one would probably die. A pair would be good, and maybe 2 males and 1 female, but with that you run the risk of the subordinate male just being depressed and hiding out most of the time. I would probably recommend just a pair, or a different species.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:23 AM

and to clarify, twisner means another species which does better in groups like auratus or leucs, NOT another species in with the cobalts.

Old 09-25-2005, 03:38 AM

are cobalts not a good beginner frog?
Old 09-25-2005, 04:01 AM

in fact, cobalts are a fine beginner frog, and i am not trying to discourage you at all from getting them. I am just trying to point out that the females are violent, and you are best off getting a pair of that species.
A pair would be great in a 29 gallon. Or, if you dont already have the tank, you could just get a 20 long or 15 high. But if you want a nepenthes in there, you should probably go with a 29 gallon, as the vine can get pretty long, and it would quickly outgrow the 15 high.
You can get pairs of this frog pretty inexpensively, as low as 100 dollars.
So yes, by all means go with the cobalt tincs, just get a pair.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:50 PM

thank you for your help
Old 09-25-2005, 01:58 PM

I've got three males in a 29 gallon. They seem quite content. Oddly they mostly like to hangout near eachother, but from time to time I see them sulking in opposite corners and have witnessed the *rare* wrestling match. I recently got a female. Although I'm going to move all 4 into a 65 gallon and see how that goes.

-Tad
Old 09-25-2005, 02:51 PM

what do you guys recommend for lighting on a 29 gallon??(watts and kind of bulbs)
Old 09-25-2005, 06:04 PM

I like to put in at least twice as much light as there are gallons, so in your case i would recommend a 55watt light or a 2x36 watt. check out http://www.ahsupply.com
Old 09-25-2005, 06:40 PM

oh yeah another Q. where can i get that specific carnivirous plant??
Old 09-25-2005, 07:01 PM

N. ampullaria is a very common nepenthes, and one of the easiest to care for. Pretty much anyplace that sells carnivourous plants should have it. It should be about 10 bucks. Try cloud jungle for all ur plants. Harry is a great guy. Also, if you are ordering supplies from black jungle, u can get it from there, but it is more expensive.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:14 PM

I thought Aquarium House supply was rather pricey.... I just bought lights from http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com and then got a ballast and sockets from home despot (just bought the 4'shoplight and dismantled for the ballast and sockets).

-Tad