Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Sponsor

Default Waterfalls OK?

I'm just starting to set up some vivariums, since I think I'm in for a rain of frogs. Not that this is a bad thing...

My concept right now involves 20G (12x24x20) glass aquariums. I have plants (do I ever...), and I'm not too worried about construction. But, I'd like to have a waterfall. Picture those pretty waterfalls in Hawai'i that the pretty tourists are always swimming behind. I'm thinking of a small pool at about 16" high, overflowing into a flat cascade dropping 12" or so. The water would spill out over a nice little piece of red slate that I found, and either land on another piece of slate or directly into a pond. A nice thing about this is that the slate that forms the upper fall can overhang and form a little cave for frogs to hide in. And I think it would keep the humidity up.

Are my frogs going to be stupid enough to hurt themselves in a waterfall? It isn't a huge drop, and I don't think I would even notice if I put my hand under the cascade, but they are little frogs... I'm reasonably sure they are smart enough not to jump off the ledge, but could they venture into the base of the fall and get crushed? Should I make the drop shorter (two steps?). Is this just a stupid idea in general? I haven't seen many vivarium pictures with waterfalls in them.
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2005, 09:06 PM

I don't think this is exactly what you pictured. I thought of doing something like you wanted but it was more difficult than I thought trying to stack slate, etc. I settled on this design which seems just as natural to me. It bubbles from under the rock and the bottom is made of Great Stuff. I put hydroton along the base of the waterfall so the water falls through the false bottom and not on the substrate. If you have any particular questions let me know.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:14 PM
Sponsor

Does your waterfall make noise? I'm also looking for some background noise, to mask my computers.

Nice waterfall, though.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:27 PM

Why don't you check out the thread entitled.. "Lets see those water features". As far as the "stupidity" of frogs..I have one that will climb as high as possible, jump up, hit the glass cover, and drop the hieght of the 20 gallon and land in the water feature or land area..If you think it could or might happen, it probable will. Just ask anyone who has overlooked a small crack in the background or space with lighting access. Good Luck.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:39 AM

To add to the "stupidity", they are quite clumsy. Mine sort of jump around, not really planning where they are going to land. They will launch themselves off of the background, jump at the lid, and fall to the bottom (about a foot). Then they get up, and do it all over again...I was worried the first time, but I figure, if it is hurting them, they won't do it. They seem to be fine, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Also, as long as you don't have Niagra Falls in your tank, the water shouldn't hurt them. Mine have jumped onto where the water lands, and just enjoy the splashing.
Good luck.
_beesswaxx

Scott