Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2005, 09:08 AM

Default Young frogs in big viv?

Are 6 week old leucs out of the water too young to be put into a heavily planted 40 gallon vivarium that has been set up for over a month with no inhabitants other than tiny bugs? They shouldnt have a really hard time looking for food right? I dont even know how big a 6 week old looks like. These are actually my first darts. Im fairly new into the hobby. Will be receiving a group of 5 leucs from Thomas Villegas at http://www.pumilio.com this coming coming friday. If possible, I'd rather not put them in a shoebox because I'd have to remove them again later on to put them into the 40gal. I just thought it'd be ok to put them into their permanent home from the start. Let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2005, 12:11 PM

The one downside to placing small froglets into a large viv immediately is that you will be challenged to monitor their feeding. Very young leucs have a tendency to hide when placed into a new environment (at least in our experience) which doesn't help matters.

Your froglets will probably be 1/4 to 1/3 the size of adults if they are well started.

I would recommend that you go with a shoebox or 10 gallon viv setup for them, at least for the first couple of weeks. Either of those setups can be reused for other purposes down the line. Yeah it's a bit inconvenient to transfer them to their permanent home down the line but it's worth the hassle to know that the froglets have made the transition to your home and are feeding well, etc.

Good luck and enjoy your froggies!

Bill
Old 09-20-2005, 05:41 PM

I can attest to the fact that froglets will hide VERY well in a decently planted terrarium. I originally thought I could keep 4 young cobalt tincs, and then after a week I opted to do the shoebox thing. They're not at all expensive, and they keep your frogs healthier and happier, especially when they all get their own ration of flies. Not to mention imagine the stress on moving them twice, especially when you could take some sound advice and reduce stress on your frogs. hope this helps.

James

Old 09-21-2005, 10:00 PM

I agree. I placed a single D. azureus inside a 29 gallon that wasn't necessarily heavily planted, but I noticed it was rather inexperienced with hunting food in a big tank compared to older ones I've watched. Eventually he became deathly thin, so I moved him out and put him into a ten gallon and he fattened back up in maybe ten days, but through that whole transition I felt nearly as stressed as he did (and I had been adding ten dozen pinheads plus fruitflies almost daily when he was in the tank).

~ Jeff
Old 09-21-2005, 10:57 PM

i put my 4 two month old leucs in a 30 gallon vivarium and they were fine. Just set up a feeding spot using a little dish of lime or oranges and then if ur still a little worried about them getting food just feed a little more. Mine have all doubled in size and are out in the open all day, even with the provided hiding spots. I had the same doubts at first and had posted on this topic, but they ended up doing fine in my 30 gallon. So if i were u i wouldnt worry to much about it.. but if u do see that they arent growing very fast I would put them in like a ten with some paper towels and feed excessively.