No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ChrisK
  • 1 Post By ChrisK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 05:10 AM

Default quarantine tanks

So i have been learning alot on this site and about the care of these frogs. i have a few right now. My question is do poeple have quarantine tanks for sick frogs and or new frogs getting introduce? Is it needed or fellow froggers do it as a precaution?.Also what size tanks do you use for your frogs for thumbs and larger speices? also how many tanks?

I hoping many poeple will share so i can get an idea on this and learn about it as much as I can. As well as start a dicussion for other new member or just members in genreral learn about this or some tricks/

thankyou matt
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 12:03 PM

Default Re: quarantine tanks

New frogs/froglets should always be QT'd. This is especially critical as your collection grows. It can be done in a number of ways depending on how much available space you have. In my case, I have 2 64 qt Serilite containers, a 190 oz container, and a small 10 gallon which is not set up.

QT's can also double for emergency enclosures. If you have to move frogs in a hurry (in my case when tank was leaking), you can set them up very quickly with brand new spag, some cuttings fom your plants, some mag leaves and maybe a coconut hut. When done using the tank/container, everything in it goes straight in to the trash.

I avoid the possibility of cross contamination (for now) meaning that nothing from tank A gets pushed in to tank B. As I set up new tanks, I buy new plants. This will clearly change as cuttings become available.

If my hands go in a tank for any reason, I wash them prior to putting them in tank B. Further, anything in QT should be dealt with last when feeding, misting, doing maint, etc.

To me there are exceptions. With the execption of my Leucs, all of my frogs come from one frogger. She rarely if ever receives inbound frogs so it is, with very rare exception, a closed system. Frogs go out but they don't come in.

In addition, I have spent a serious number of hours with her collection. I have observed care and husbandry practices. In this case, I am comfortable placinng the frogs/froglets straight into a tank. Is it perfect protection ? obviously not. I do believe that the possibility of my little collection developing a problem is no greater than bringing in a pathogen from outside.

This brings up another point. Sellecting the right breeder. So many of us new folks chase frogs or species. That is the worst thing we can do. We should be chasing quality breeders or those hobbyists with stable collections and stellar practices.

I prefer to do business with those who have most to lose. I am not chasing anything rare so I can be very selective about where I spend my money. The majority of people that you see regularly selling frogs in the classifieds aren't resellers and don't just sling new frogs in with their general collections.

If you're dealing with someone in which you unfamiliar, ask for pics of their frog room and set up. You can learn a lot just by looking at someone's set-up. If possible, go see the seller. Again, you can learn a tremendous amount from visiting a collection.

Finally, while there is nothing wrong with attempting to negotiate a better price, the last thing that you should ever base purchases on is price. The 10.00 or 20.00 saved to get a discount from someone is just not worth it to me. I want to deal with someone who lives in a contstant state of terror of something showing up in their frog room. I will happily pay more if I am comfortable with the breeder's care and practices.

In summary (and yes I know I am going to take a beating), as someone who is keeping a very small collection (I'll end up with 4 species)

1) Everything should be Q/T'd.

2) If you are going to gamble, you better exercise sound judgment prior to pulling the trigger on any purchases. You are potentially gambling with your frog's lives. Saving a few bucks is not worth it if you are cheater like I am.

3) Develop a relationship with 1 or 2 breeders/casual breeders and stick with them. Don't collect frogs from everywhere. This will significantly reduce the possibility of introducing a problem in to your collection, if you have chosen wisely and done your homework.

4) Practice intelligent keeping at home. THROW STUFF AWAY or clean, reclean and scour everything. Media cups, tad cups, frog transport containers, etc.

Since I have admitted to cheating at times, I feel it important to tell a horror story. I witnessed two different people who both lost over 10,000.00 in corals by introducing a single infected coral (clearly wild caught and rare) from a discount reseller. They paid 70.00 for a 350.00 coral and then failed to QT.

My point is that the best deal is not the best deal.

Last edited by Zoomie; 08-16-2011 at 12:05 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zoomie For This Useful Post:
Newtnerd (08-16-2011), sports_doc (08-16-2011)
Old 08-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Dedicated Supporter

Also, do some searches on "fecals", "testing", "quarantine", "treatment", and more terms that you find from seeing those threads, make up your mind from there.
Zoomie likes this.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:26 PM

wow zoomie that was mush need information i really wanted. I apprecaite the time you spent writing it to help. you really hit key info i was looking for and once agian thankyou

now two more queation i have.
1)If i have no frogs in my tanks and i go and buy a trio from the same person ,can i just put it in the tank?

2)can i use 5.5 gallon as quartine ?
Old 08-16-2011, 12:30 PM
Dedicated Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngherp420 View Post
wow zoomie that was mush need information i really wanted. I apprecaite the time you spent writing it to help. you really hit key info i was looking for and once agian thankyou

now two more queation i have.
1)If i have no frogs in my tanks and i go and buy a trio from the same person ,can i just put it in the tank?

2)can i use 5.5 gallon as quartine ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Also, do some searches on "fecals", "testing", "quarantine", "treatment", and more terms that you find from seeing those threads, make up your mind from there.
Should pretty much help you decide the answers to those exact questions
Zoomie likes this.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:47 PM

You're welcome. Remember, I did not give you advice. I told you what I did. Two very different things.

I have to agree with Chris K on this. Do some research and make wise and carefully calculated decisions.

My commentary was based solely on ME, a stone cold newb. I openly admitted cheating which comes with significant risk. I have a very unique set of circumstances.

And to be clear, I will still do fecals in the very near future. Why? If I care for my frogs properly, I will have offspring. Because of this, I need to ensure that I am not spreading anything. I owe that to the community.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Zoomie; 08-16-2011 at 03:49 PM.

Tags
quarantine