Whats better, distilled water or spring water - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ed

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2011, 07:36 PM
125's Avatar
125 125 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: in ohio
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Whats better, distilled water or spring water

I have been wanting to use distilled water in my terrarium so i dont leave mineral build up but i heard spring water is better though. So which one should i use?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2011, 07:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico
Posts: 2,464
Thanks: 489
Thanked 347 Times in 215 Posts
Default Re: Whats better, distilled water or spring water

Mist with distilled. Spring water contains minerals which will leave mineral buildup.
__________________
-KCCO-
Doug
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 904
Thanks: 44
Thanked 43 Times in 42 Posts
Default Re: Whats better, distilled water or spring water

Only use spring/RO with tadpoles. Distilled is best for glass tanks. I have acrylic so I don't honestly care about my mineral buildup on the sides.
__________________
"No decision is the wrong one. There is just correct and more correct."

Blackjeans/Siquirres
Reply With Quote
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2011, 08:53 PM
125's Avatar
125 125 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: in ohio
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Whats better, distilled water or spring water

Ok, I was thinking mist with distilled and for the waterfall use spring water, is that ok?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 253
Thanks: 10
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Default Re: Whats better, distilled water or spring water

Spring water is going to leave deposits in your tank. Especially if you have a water feature. Let me tell you, getting mineral deposits off is a nightmare. It also looks horrible. Like everyone else said, R/O water or distilled. You can get R/O water outside of most grocery stores at those automated dispensers. According to my TDS pen, it's always better than the R/O water they sell at pet stores. Go figure!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Ed Ed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 19,301
Thanks: 321
Thanked 2,728 Times in 1,791 Posts
Default Re: Whats better, distilled water or spring water

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomR00 View Post
Only use spring/RO with tadpoles. Distilled is best for glass tanks. I have acrylic so I don't honestly care about my mineral buildup on the sides.

RO and distilled are equivalent.. see http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/beg...iscussion.html
DragonSpirit1185 likes this.
__________________
A phrase you never want to hear;
"It seemed like a good idea at the time."
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2011, 11:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: orlando, fl
Posts: 436
Thanks: 43
Thanked 17 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Whats better, distilled water or spring water

You can save money in the long run by investing in a R.O. filter.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2011, 01:46 PM
DragonSpirit1185's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lithia Springs, Georgia
Posts: 2,292
Thanks: 259
Thanked 73 Times in 68 Posts
Default Re: Whats better, distilled water or spring water

Ed is right RO and Distilled are equivalent....

Watch out tho cause some of these jugs say distilled when they aren't really distilled water. I always call the company to make sure but some of the bottlers are idiots and just say on the jug that it is filtered using carbon filtration lol.

Distilled water is filtered water that is vaporised and the steam/water droplets are collected. It is pretty much pure water. The minerals are to heavy to be carries by the steam.
Most distilled water is actually ran through RO filters then distilled.
I use Walmarts or Kroger's brand.
Distilling works like a moonshine stil lol.....the ingredients are boiled and the steam is collected wich is pure alcohol.

I wouldn't use spring water at all when it comes to frogging
__________________
-Brandon
Azureus, Leucomelas, Auratus 'El Cope', Southern variabilis, Amazonica 'French Guiana'
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2011, 03:47 PM
ConFuCiuZ's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 635
Thanks: 8
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: Whats better, distilled water or spring water

I Just use Poland Spring... The other day i bought "10" 1 gallon jugs for 10 bucks. I havent seen any spots on my tank from misting .
__________________
Chris
1.1.0 Leucomelas "Standard"
0.0.3 Leucomelas "Chocolate"
1.1.0 Imitator "Varadero"
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2011, 04:18 PM
JimO's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 2,083
Thanks: 121
Thanked 135 Times in 96 Posts
Default Re: Whats better, distilled water or spring water

Some brands are also labeled "Purified Water" which could simply mean that the water was passed through activated carbon, which won't remove inorganic minerals.

I do use spring water to make my tadpole tea. For terrestrial species that deposit their tadpoles in streams or pools of water, I assume that there is some calcium and other minerals in that water. Obligates, however, are reared essentially in rainwater that is flushed regularly, so that is another good reason to mist with distilled/RO water.
__________________
What happened when the frog double parked?
He got toad...
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: orlando, fl
Posts: 436
Thanks: 43
Thanked 17 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Whats better, distilled water or spring water

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSpirit1185 View Post
Ed is right RO and Distilled are equivalent....

Watch out tho cause some of these jugs say distilled when they aren't really distilled water. I always call the company to make sure but some of the bottlers are idiots and just say on the jug that it is filtered using carbon filtration lol.

Distilled water is filtered water that is vaporised and the steam/water droplets are collected. It is pretty much pure water. The minerals are to heavy to be carries by the steam.
Most distilled water is actually ran through RO filters then distilled.
I use Walmarts or Kroger's brand.
Distilling works like a moonshine stil lol.....the ingredients are boiled and the steam is collected wich is pure alcohol.

I wouldn't use spring water at all when it comes to frogging
I agree with you and Ed somewhat. It depends on what process the water co. is using to distilled their water. using copper piping for distilling isn't great at all, especially for the reef hobbyists. Also I remember a news show not to long ago, doing an under cover story about bottle water companies. How some company was selling plain tap water.
That's how come I prefer to use a, R.O. filter unit. I know how my water is being filtered. Besides that, it's cheaper in the long run. (pennies on the gallon)

Last edited by charlesbrooks; 08-01-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2011, 05:15 PM
WendySHall's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,241
Thanks: 67
Thanked 100 Times in 91 Posts
Default Re: Whats better, distilled water or spring water

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConFuCiuZ View Post
I Just use Poland Spring... The other day i bought "10" 1 gallon jugs for 10 bucks. I havent seen any spots on my tank from misting .
The mineral deposits will build up over time on the glass.

I use distilled for misting, spring for tads.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pine, CO
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Whats better, distilled water or spring water

I'd used distilled. I used to mist/etc with tap water (where I live, my tap is spring water, nothing else in it) and after a few weeks I got a crusty coat on the glass. It's very hard to clean. As for the safety of your frogs, both are fine. There are many debates on using Tap, RO, and distilled.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Ed Ed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 19,301
Thanks: 321
Thanked 2,728 Times in 1,791 Posts
Default Re: Whats better, distilled water or spring water

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConFuCiuZ View Post
I Just use Poland Spring... The other day i bought "10" 1 gallon jugs for 10 bucks. I havent seen any spots on my tank from misting .
Look down to controversies Poland Spring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Ed
__________________
A phrase you never want to hear;
"It seemed like a good idea at the time."
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Ed Ed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 19,301
Thanks: 321
Thanked 2,728 Times in 1,791 Posts
Default Re: Whats better, distilled water or spring water

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimO View Post
Some brands are also labeled "Purified Water" which could simply mean that the water was passed through activated carbon, which won't remove inorganic minerals.

I do use spring water to make my tadpole tea. For terrestrial species that deposit their tadpoles in streams or pools of water, I assume that there is some calcium and other minerals in that water. Obligates, however, are reared essentially in rainwater that is flushed regularly, so that is another good reason to mist with distilled/RO water.
Technically there isn't any requirement that "spring" water come from a spring. It can be from a municple water source and bottled straight from the tap (this is done with New York City water as an example).

Ed
__________________
A phrase you never want to hear;
"It seemed like a good idea at the time."
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Ed Ed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 19,301
Thanks: 321
Thanked 2,728 Times in 1,791 Posts
Default Re: Whats better, distilled water or spring water

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesbrooks View Post
I agree with you and Ed somewhat. It depends on what process the water co. is using to distilled their water. using copper piping for distilling isn't great at all, especially for the reef hobbyists. Also I remember a news show not to long ago, doing an under cover story about bottle water companies. How some company was selling plain tap water.
That's how come I prefer to use a, R.O. filter unit. I know how my water is being filtered. Besides that, it's cheaper in the long run. (pennies on the gallon)

How many commercially available water distillation units are still using copper? From when I when I worked in pharmaceutical and manufacturing labs in the late 1980s, virtually all were done with non-reactive materials.

I do prefer using an RO as I can then modify it as I want.

Ed
__________________
A phrase you never want to hear;
"It seemed like a good idea at the time."
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2011, 06:43 PM
WendySHall's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,241
Thanks: 67
Thanked 100 Times in 91 Posts
Default Re: Whats better, distilled water or spring water

"The suit also states, hydro-geologists hired by Nestlé found that another current source for Poland Spring water near the original site stands over a former trash and refuse dump, and below an illegal disposal site where human sewage was sprayed as fertilizer for many years."

Oh, yuck! And to think of how many people have DRANK it!
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Feelin Froggy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida's Treasure Coast
Posts: 250
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Whats better, distilled water or spring water

Thats really disgusting!! I dont really remember drinking that stuff. Thank god.
__________________
JP ><(((*>

Check out my Wholesale Viv Supplies ad in the classifieds!! Lots of quality stuff!!
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Feelin Froggy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida's Treasure Coast
Posts: 250
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Whats better, distilled water or spring water

Quick question... we have natural springs all over around here... how would using that work out? I can literally walk to a natural spring. People dont generally go to that one as you cant reach it by boat. There are several others that you can reach by boat that tons of people go to.

They are crystal clear and water temps are always in the 70's... any thoughts?
__________________
JP ><(((*>

Check out my Wholesale Viv Supplies ad in the classifieds!! Lots of quality stuff!!
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 08-02-2011, 04:24 AM
DragonSpirit1185's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lithia Springs, Georgia
Posts: 2,292
Thanks: 259
Thanked 73 Times in 68 Posts
Default Re: Whats better, distilled water or spring water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelin Froggy View Post
Quick question... we have natural springs all over around here... how would using that work out? I can literally walk to a natural spring. People dont generally go to that one as you cant reach it by boat. There are several others that you can reach by boat that tons of people go to.

They are crystal clear and water temps are always in the 70's... any thoughts?
Like Ed said in the other thread you posted there could be pathogens in the water or herbacides and other chemicals that can cause problems.
I wouldn't chance it at all.


@Wendy.....wow that is gross....
__________________
-Brandon
Azureus, Leucomelas, Auratus 'El Cope', Southern variabilis, Amazonica 'French Guiana'
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2019, 02:56 AM
PBM3000's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 55
Thanks: 18
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

If I were to use R.O. exclusively, from my local pet store, should I get pure or remineralised?
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2019, 02:51 PM
TarantulaGuy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 571
Thanks: 37
Thanked 56 Times in 45 Posts
Default Re: Whats better, distilled water or spring water

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBM3000 View Post
If I were to use R.O. exclusively, from my local pet store, should I get pure or remineralised?
We need to talk about this thread rez'ng thing you've got going on here (8 year old thread!, but kudos at least for using the search feature). It entirely depends on what you're using water for; misting water you should use pure RO. For tads and water that frogs have access to you should use a reconstituted water not pure RO.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2019, 10:13 PM
PBM3000's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 55
Thanks: 18
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Roger that. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Distilled Water? VenomR00 Beginner Discussion 6 11-30-2010 11:32 PM
Question: If eggs are in soft peat water and you flush with distilled water... earthfrog Breeding, Eggs & Tadpoles 14 08-17-2009 03:22 AM
distilled spring water .vs. aged tap water? Ziggi General Discussion 7 06-10-2009 12:28 AM
Tap vs distilled vs spring water? WntrMute2 Food & Feeding 2 06-13-2005 12:57 AM
distilled water? Beginner Discussion 6 04-18-2005 04:02 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.