• 5 Post By Ed
  • 1 Post By johnc
  • 1 Post By frogmanchu
  • 3 Post By Judy S

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 08:12 PM

Thanked 2,733 Times in 1,795 Posts
Default water discussion..

This discussion is going on in another thread and it is over the risk of distilled or reverse osmosis (RO) versus other types of water. Given the frequency of this discussion I thought I should put up some information on why x water is fine, even though so and so said elsewhere it wasn't.

The original question asked from http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/tre...tml#post614752

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkooiman View Post
I was wondering why you didn't mention the distilled water Ed. I would love to read any online links you might have. I have always thought distilled water as one of the ultimate "no, no's" in frogkeeping, if I can avoid these damn water stains, let me know! JVK

From http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/tre...tml#post614856

If we look at the history of the issue, it started with several articles discussing ion loss to severely hypotonic solutions primarily by tiger salamander larvae which were summed up in Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry (2001, Kreiger Press) with the recommendation to not use distilled or RO water with animals as it causes the loss of some ions into the solution (calcium) through the osmoregulation. The more recent data came out in as series of experiments in Ecological and Enviromental Physiology of Amphibians (2009, Oxford Press). In those the studies were run for a longer period and it demonstrated that yes those ions were lost to the solution but the amphibians also were able to actively reabsorb those ions back from solution. The loss is basically energetic unless the amphibian has something compromising the ability to osmoregulate such as septecimias or chytridmycosis. So as long as the amphibian is healthy it is in reality fine to use and you can get away from those calcium stains.

If we step back and look at it clinically, technically tap water or filtered water or even pond or stream water is also significantly hypoosmotic in potential to the amphibians as the osmolarity of amphibian plasma is much higher than that of those water sources. The impact is the same, the amphibian loses ions to the water and reabsorbs them. Somewhere on forum I think have some of the data on amphibian ringers compared to pedialyte and why pedialyte shouldn't be used in cases of suspected hypocalcemia.

In animals with compromised abilities to osmoregulate, amphibian ringers is suggested for a number of reason as it reduces stress on the system of the amphibian and in cases of extreme water retention, under the care of a vet, hyperosmotic amphibians ringers are suggested.

In cases like the above, where the water is coming into contact with a variety of materials the water is als still going to be hypotonic with respect to the amphibian but is going to have picked up stuff from the enclosure which is going to go into solution.

Does that help? Sorry it isn't on the web for free.

Ed

From http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/tre...tml#post614934

Just so people have a better understanding of the whole issue about distilled, RO, tap and so forth..
The way solutions that may be important in osmoregulation are compared is through osmolarity which can be referenced here (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmolarity) (to prevent a lengthy tedious explanation).
The different types of water used to care for amphibians (RO, DI, tap and even high content mineral waters) have a osmolarity that typically runs from 0 (for RO, DI) up to 28 mOsm/kg (for high content mineral waters) (see www.osmolality.com/pdf/Rave%20Drugs.doc). This is then compared to amphibian ringers which has a rating of 229 mOsm/kg (Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry, 2001 Kriegerís Press), which is considered to be isotonic for the purposes of osmoregulation with amphibian body chemistries.
As can be seen by the values for water in the paragraph above, regardless of the type of water used, ions will be lost into solution. The degree of loss is going to be of the same scale regardless of the type used as the osmolarity is very similar to one another. The frogs will actively scavenge ions back out of the water (or if the substrate contains mobile calcium and other ions and is moist) from the substrate. This discussion is assuming healthy amphibians and not ill or otherwise compromised ones.

There is a lot of hype about distilled and RO water that has been continually perpetuated on the internet for a number of years, and Iím sure will continue for quite a long time into the future.

Some other discussions were held in this thread Dying frog, help please!

Ed
Reconstituted RO or DI is still going to be less than 28 mOsm/kg unless you get crazy with the dosing.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Ed For This Useful Post:
Anapsid (06-27-2014), Boondoggle (06-21-2014), cbreon (07-06-2012), dysphoria (06-14-2012), earthfrog (07-03-2011), epiphytes etc. (07-02-2011), frogface (06-24-2014), jacobi (06-03-2012), Judy S (05-08-2013), kingfisherfleshy (11-02-2012), macuser (11-10-2015), pako (03-23-2016), SnorkelWasp (10-06-2013), TapDart91 (07-08-2014), thedude (07-06-2012), Tony (07-03-2011), ZookeeperDoug (07-03-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 08:13 PM

Default Re: water discussion..

To sum it all up, RO and DI are fine to use for many of the applications in the enclosures, including but not limited to misting, refilling water bowls or pools and so forth.

Ed
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ed For This Useful Post:
ChrisK (07-02-2011), earthfrog (07-03-2011), epiphytes etc. (07-02-2011), flyingSquirrel (06-02-2012), frogface (07-02-2011), JimO (07-06-2011), motydesign (09-04-2011), SmackoftheGods (07-03-2011), VenomR00 (05-08-2013), ZookeeperDoug (07-03-2011)
Old 07-03-2011, 03:13 AM

Sticking my nose in here, but I thought I would add a side opinion. I use nothing but distilled for my thumbnail tads. As a chemist who spent 10 years working on water related chemistry and the chemistry of ions, it's an educated decision. I still don't understand why folks would use anything else for tads that live in tiny aerial pools that are flushed regularly by rain in the wild. Tadpole tea is for ground dwelling tads folks.
pako likes this.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to johnc For This Useful Post:
Anapsid (06-27-2014), TapDart91 (07-08-2014), Tony (07-03-2011), ZookeeperDoug (07-03-2011)

Old 07-03-2011, 04:00 AM

I mist with Distilled, fill and flush broms with RO, and use an 80/20 RO/Aged tap in my water feature. I'm guessing our vivariums are quickly leaching all kinds of ions from the wood, plants, hydroton, leaves, etc back into any water that the actual assumed deliterious effects of RO/Dostilled use wouldn't ever be realized anyway.

Great post Ed.

JohnC

I agree. Rainwater is essentially distilled water and is what fills broms naturally in the wild. Now I'm not quite up to speed on raising thumbs but the only thing I can see is if the volume of water that the tads are raised in is much greater than a typical brom axil, perhaps that large about of super clean water could pull more ions out of the tad before an equillibrium is reached. Then again, as Ed says the tads probably actively uptake ions and as long as they are healthy there is probably no worry.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:56 PM

Ed thanks for the info. For all else thank you also. I want the best for my frogs so I figured I'd see what works for everyone. I have tons more reading to do now . Once agian thanks guys
GP dynamite likes this.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:23 AM

Ed, don't get a swelled head...but I hope you can see just how important your contributions are. It does not appear to me that the "others" in this field either care or want to participate in informing or educating "us" to better husbandry of our frogs....thanks for your imput...
The Following User Says Thank You to Judy S For This Useful Post:
frogmanchu (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 02:02 AM

Ed is the bomb lol. Ed keep hitting us with the good word man. If no one else listens I will.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:25 PM

so getting a RO/DI unit would be ok to use for all the water in the tank ?
Old 06-21-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRIZMHEAD View Post
so getting a RO/DI unit would be ok to use for all the water in the tank ?
What did the summary in the second post in the thread say?

Some comments

Ed
Old 06-24-2014, 04:36 PM

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2014, 07:04 PM

I have been using distilled for a month now with my new dart frogs as I was told by my vet and the distributor that was what to use if I cannot get ahold of R/O water, then read in a book I just bought about distilled being deadly. So to be 100% clear, its perfectly fine for me to be only using distilled? I don't mean to get repetitive, I'm just new and paranoid. Also, I was wondering, is it really necessary for leucs to have a water dish? I was initially told no, but I see a lot of discussion about having water dishes on the boards.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anapsid View Post
I have been using distilled for a month now with my new dart frogs as I was told by my vet and the distributor that was what to use if I cannot get ahold of R/O water, then read in a book I just bought about distilled being deadly. So to be 100% clear, its perfectly fine for me to be only using distilled? I don't mean to get repetitive, I'm just new and paranoid. Also, I was wondering, is it really necessary for leucs to have a water dish? I was initially told no, but I see a lot of discussion about having water dishes on the boards.
The first and second posts should answer your question as to safety. As for needing a water bowl, they don't need a water bowl unless you are giving them an option to deposit tadpoles.

Some comments

Ed
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed For This Useful Post:
TapDart91 (07-08-2014)
Old 03-26-2015, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anapsid View Post
I use nothing but distilled water and have never had problems but out of cost concerns over time im looking at RO as an alternative, if you are brewing some beer in your basement and perfected a distillery that pumps out 10g a week than let me know lol otherwise Im moving to RO vs DI at $20+ a month! still cheap so no hurries lol