Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 03:43 AM

Default Monitoring a new frog

Hi everyone.
I've been lurking on this board for about two years and this last month finally built a traditional LECA bottom dart frog enclosure. I used a clay background mixed with coco fiber and moss and applied several cork flats. My substrate is organic orchid mix (very similar ingredients to ABG) and I added Home Depot broms and ferns as well as lots of frog moss.

I bought my first frog, a juvenile cobalt tinc from a local pet store about 4 days ago. I had been visiting the store for quite some time. Their frogs always seem active and healthy and the owner breeds them himself.

My humidity is about 90% and I'm misting twice daily. My tinc is always hiding, which I assume is normal while he is getting acclimated. Unfortunately, I havn't seen him eat any of the dusted hydei I've dropped in there.

I'm worried that he's not eating because I see flies in there hours after I dropped them in.

How do I know that he is eating without actually seeing him do it?

Thanks for answering my newbie questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 04:05 AM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: Monitoring a new frog

a picture of the setup would really help flesh out any problems that might be apparent.

typically they will hide for a bit, but tincs are pretty bold so he should be out eating soon. do you have lots of plant cover and leaf litter? good places to retreat to can make a frog bold.

do you have access to other feeders? melanogasters or springtails? hydei are larger flies, but should be no problem for a tinc...

approximately how many flies are you throwing in there at a time?

another bit of advice a friend gave to me. look for poop. if you see fresh poop, you know he's eating.

good luck,
brett
Old 03-16-2011, 04:42 AM

Don't sweat it just yet....even tincs, especially young frogs will be shy at first and take a while to acclimate to a new home. I usually give my frogs 1-2 weeks before I notice them settle in. Some adult frogs settle in in 1-2 days, some up to 2 weeks...froglets usually take a week before you'll notice them feeding. He's probably snagging flies here and there without you knowing.

If he is healthy and the humidity is high and temps are in the 70s, you should be ok.

Sounds like a rare pet shop that actually breeds his own. If he actually breeds them, he puts the work in to care for froglets. The places that don't respect dart frogs or treat them like pacman frogs are the ones that have unhealthy frogs.

Try not to stress too much. Don't mess with the frog too much by constantly opening up the tank and checking to make sure he's inside the hut...just leave him be and make sure there's plenty of food for him and you'll be fine.

Hydei are fine for big juvi tincs but they will take melaogaster as well so try those as well.

If conditions are ok and the frog feels secure, small tank nit picking isn't going to matter. The frog moss by zoo med is ok, but try leaf litter. Don't waste money on frog moss. The package says it will grow but that's very very unlikely. Especially since they say to clean it once a month or whatever lol Even if it goes brown it's still soft enough on his feet. Our sponsors sell $5 bags of oak leaf litter and it's awesome stuff. Gives ground cover but also will cast shadows on the floor that moss will not. They feel more secure.

You'll notice the frog being less shy as it gets older and it will start coming out to feed once it settles in.

Don't stress though. 4 days is nothing.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:53 AM

Tincs are normally very outgoing, what morph is it? Not seeing a frog eat in four days does seem odd. Keep an eye out on him, but don't induce more stress by pearing into the tank every other minute. Patience!
Old 03-16-2011, 05:01 AM

4 days in a new environment is still not enough time for most tincs to display normal behavior. I'm sure he's just over anxious about making sure the frog is ok and over thinking things.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:17 AM

hi
did you seed the tank with springtails? if so hes probably eating those.
i cant remember how long it took my cobalts to get acclimated to me and the tank. im sure they hid for a couple weeks. now when i open the door they come at me instead of running away they are about a year old. super bold.

give it some more time. also how old is your baby?
id buy it a tank mate

i suggest placing a slice of banana in the viv for a feeding station. bugs will congregate there and the frog will get used to where they are.

can u post a pic of yr set up? if its very open, like background on 1 side only, i would cover the other 2 sides with dark paper temporarily. so he wont feel exposed if he ventures out. and definitely add leaf litter. 1st time i added leaf litter to my frogs enclosure they acted like it was disney land. now i just put moss on ledges sticks whatever and cover most of the tank floor with leaves.

i get my leaves from the woods, the park, the neighbors yards, :P bake them at 250 for 30 min or so... but theres always a risk of pesticides etc.. so be sure you know where yr leaves are coming from.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:46 AM

Maybe try some melanogasters or gliders. One of my frogs, even though large enough to eat hydei, just doesn't seem to like them. He will gobble up the smaller flies, though.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:45 PM

Thanks for all the great advice. I will start a tank thread to show my tank and get feedback. Thanks again!
Old 03-18-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogface View Post
Maybe try some melanogasters or gliders. One of my frogs, even though large enough to eat hydei, just doesn't seem to like them. He will gobble up the smaller flies, though.
Sorry for the newbie question: what are gliders?
Old 03-19-2011, 12:38 AM

Gliders are ffs that are a little bigger than melanogasters and smaller than hydei.

What I like about them is that as soon as you put them in the tank, they start moving around. They attract your frogs by their running about and they make the frogs get a little bit of a workout

Also they are very prolific breeders.

JeremyHuff on here usually has some. That's where I've gotten mine. Give him a holler.