New Tank, Some Questions! - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 27
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default New Tank, Some Questions!

Just got a new tank off ebay and don't have much money at the moment so I'll do it a bit at a time and wanted to ask a few questions about the very start.



The tank is 24x15x18 inches and I'm not sure what's going in yet, but definately going to keep it horizontal. I'm unsure what to do about putting a pane of glass underneath the hood, as I want to run a misting system, and as you can see from this photo, there are holes in the hood meant for cables.



So would a pane of glass in there be best? As well, I don't know how I would go about fixing it so I can lift it off to feed. Hinges or just a handle to lift it off?

Any help would be good!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2011, 03:32 PM
freaky_tah's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 564
Thanks: 17
Thanked 39 Times in 31 Posts
Default Re: New Tank, Some Questions!

Aquarium hoods don't work well for darts as they're not remotely frog or fruit fly proof. Do some searching on here about glass tops. You're better off getting a piece of glass cut (save room in the front for a vent). Here's a tutorial that I found helpful
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...glass-top.html

and here's one that shows a front vented screen

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...glass-top.html
__________________
E. anthonyi 2.1.4
D. Leucomelas 2.1.0
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to freaky_tah For This Useful Post:
frogface (03-13-2011)
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Dendro Dave's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,279
Thanks: 189
Thanked 630 Times in 431 Posts
Default Re: New Tank, Some Questions!

Some aquarium hoods have glass separating the light from the tank. Does this have anything like that, or is the light just exposed to the air? If it has a glass shield and there are no areas up in the fixture the frogs could get into then it may be usable as a top with some modifications but if not I'd probably just get a glass top and light strip. If you want to use the actual light you may be able to set the whole hood over a glass top still. If you just have the one tank I wouldn't bother with a misting system especially on a small tank like that. If its part of a whole rack of tanks thats another story but I'd just hand mist that puppy if you have less then 10 vivs Save the $100+ for a misting system and use the money to pimp out the tank in sweet plants and hard-scape materials. Could do a drip wall with a tom's aqua lifter pumps...and/or a waterfall.
__________________
Everything I've ever written is/was just my opinion!
Reply With Quote
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 27
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: New Tank, Some Questions!

Cheers guys.

For the pane of glass do you get it cut to the outer dimensions and silicone it on top? I think i'll find a local glazier and go and talk to them about that living/piano hinge!

EDIT: I forgot. Will a drain be necessary? I was gonna use leca and membrane so will it hopefully evaporate rather than build up?

Last edited by jamesthornton; 03-13-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Dendro Dave's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,279
Thanks: 189
Thanked 630 Times in 431 Posts
Default Re: New Tank, Some Questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthornton View Post
Cheers guys.

For the pane of glass do you get it cut to the outer dimensions and silicone it on top? I think i'll find a local glazier and go and talk to them about that living/piano hinge!

EDIT: I forgot. Will a drain be necessary? I was gonna use leca and membrane so will it hopefully evaporate rather than build up?
I doubt it would be necessary to silicone it to the top, just rest it there on the lip thats just inside the rim as most tanks have one for holding a top. I thought it was a 20H but your tanks is actually a bit deeper front to back then a 20H so probably can't just buy a pre-made aquarium top. So ya get a couple pieces cut and a hinge. When figuring out what size pieces you need take space the hinge takes up into account, and also measure from the inside of the rim of course...unless you just want the glass to rest on top of the rim, but then it could slide off pretty easy (In which case siliconing it might be an idea), I'd just get it cut to fit right though and not worry about that.

The water can build up in any tank if it is misted to much, and you don't have an overflow drilled into one of the sides of the tank. There is a difference between a drain and overflow...a drain you will manually have to drain the tank, an overflow will just flow out that hole once it reaches the right height, but either is quite a hassle for a small viv IMO, I wouldn't bother...just keep a turkey baster handy and try not to over mist. You should be able to tell if its building up in the drainage layer just by looking. FYI since leca takes up volume in that drainage layer that area will hold less water then if you just did a false bottom, which would also make the tank lighter.

If you do get an automated mister get a seconds timer so you can fine tune how often and how long it mists the tank for so it doesn't flood it. Generally though when you mist you just need to get the surface of everything wet, not completely saturate the soil like a lot of people do and then complain about their tank flooding and think they need to drill every tank when its a waste usually and risks breaking the viv You can even mist more then once a day, if you don't over do it without ever flooding your tank, but people are silly.
__________________
Everything I've ever written is/was just my opinion!

Last edited by Dendro Dave; 03-13-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 27
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: New Tank, Some Questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendro Dave View Post
I doubt it would be necessary to silicone it to the top, just rest it there on the lip thats just inside the rim as most tanks have one for holding a top. I thought it was a 20H but your tanks is actually a bit deeper front to back then a 20H so probably can't just buy a pre-made aquarium top. So ya get a couple pieces cut and a hinge. When figuring out what size pieces you need take space the hinge takes up into account, and also measure from the inside of the rim of course...unless you just want the glass to rest on top of the rim, but then it could slide off pretty easy (In which case siliconing it might be an idea), I'd just get it cut to fit right though and not worry about that.

The water can build up in any tank if it is misted to much, and you don't have an overflow drilled into one of the sides of the tank. There is a difference between a drain and overflow...a drain you will manually have to drain the tank, an overflow will just flow out that hole once it reaches the right height, but either is quite a hassle for a small viv IMO, I wouldn't bother...just keep a turkey baster handy and try not to over mist. You should be able to tell if its building up in the drainage layer just by looking. FYI since leca takes up volume in that drainage layer that area will hold less water then if you just did a false bottom, which would also make the tank lighter.

If you do get an automated mister get a seconds timer so you can fine tune how often and how long it mists the tank for so it doesn't flood it. Generally though when you mist you just need to get the surface of everything wet, not completely saturate the soil like a lot of people do and then complain about their tank flooding and think they need to drill every tank when its a waste usually and risks breaking the viv You can even mist more then once a day, if you don't over do it without ever flooding your tank, but people are silly.
I'm in the UK and our tanks are rubbish. There's no lip and they're really expensive. So I think I'd have to use the hinge and silicone the back sheet of glass down and leave the one being lifted up free.

Is there anyway to do a false bottom without egg crate? That's also ridiculously expensive here.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2011, 04:49 PM
frogface's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 8,465
Thanks: 1,444
Thanked 679 Times in 521 Posts
Default Re: New Tank, Some Questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthornton View Post
I'm in the UK and our tanks are rubbish. There's no lip and they're really expensive. So I think I'd have to use the hinge and silicone the back sheet of glass down and leave the one being lifted up free.

Is there anyway to do a false bottom without egg crate? That's also ridiculously expensive here.
I have done this on some of my tanks. A small screened area, then a piece of glass that is siliconed down to the top of the tank that goes in the center, and then the front piece of glass hinged (I've used silicone and I've used duct tape to fashion a hinge. I'm on a very tight budget ).

Oh, I make my screened area by framing it in duct tape and then taping that down to the tank and the 'fixed' piece of glass. If you're a DIY type then I'm sure you'll come up with something much much nicer to look at
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Pumilo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 10,041
Thanks: 813
Thanked 1,765 Times in 1,295 Posts
Default Re: New Tank, Some Questions!

I built a rimless glass tank like that for my brother. A screen is optional but nice. We put a 2.5 inch screen across the back. The screen frame was 1.5 inches leaving a 1 inch mesh all the way across the back. Next you will need two pieces of glass cut to sit on top, a front piece and a rear piece. The rear piece will be glued with silicone to the top of the tank. We used this acrylic hinge. Click to buy plasti-hinge 1-3/4'' x 1-1/2'' from Josh's Frogs. We also have wide ranges of acrylic door/lid supplies. Fast shipping. Excellent services - Josh's Frogs Glue it to the front and rear pieces of glass with silicone. I like to drill 2 or 3 small holes (about 1/4 inch) through each half of the hinges so the silicone has extra grabbing strength. This is the only attachment that that front piece of glass will have. Use a handle like this. Click to buy clear acrylic pull from Josh's Frogs. We also have wide ranges of acrylic door/lid supplies. Fast shipping. Excellent services - Josh's Frogs
No getting around having to lift the hood off each time you need to open the tank.
Here is how to make a screen. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...ction-how.html
__________________
Doug
Questions are not ignorance. Questions are the birth of knowledge.

Last edited by Pumilo; 03-13-2011 at 05:22 PM. Reason: screen link
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pumilo For This Useful Post:
frogface (03-13-2011)
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Dendro Dave's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,279
Thanks: 189
Thanked 630 Times in 431 Posts
Default Re: New Tank, Some Questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthornton View Post
I'm in the UK and our tanks are rubbish. There's no lip and they're really expensive. So I think I'd have to use the hinge and silicone the back sheet of glass down and leave the one being lifted up free.

Is there anyway to do a false bottom without egg crate? That's also ridiculously expensive here.
Ya if there is no inside lip guess you'd have to.

As for a false bottom with no egg crate you'd just have to get inventive. Basically you just need a rigid structure that wouldn't be degraded by the water and is porous enough to allow the water in the false bottom to evaporate back into soil. Honestly nothing comes to mind right away but my guess is some trips to the craft or hardware stores would yield something that would work with a little imagination.

Or just go with leca...really the only downside is a little more weight and less free space to fill with water so its not a big deal if a true false bottom is a hassle due to lack of suitable materials. If you plan on doing multiple vivs though it may be worth the cost to you in the long run. Not sure what it is there but here it usually comes in a 48inch x 12? inch sheet and is like 10-15 dollars I think, and is enough for several smaller vivs, or a couple medium sized ones.
__________________
Everything I've ever written is/was just my opinion!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 27
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: New Tank, Some Questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendro Dave View Post
Ya if there is no inside lip guess you'd have to.

As for a false bottom with no egg crate you'd just have to get inventive. Basically you just need a rigid structure that wouldn't be degraded by the water and is porous enough to allow the water in the false bottom to evaporate back into soil. Honestly nothing comes to mind right away but my guess is some trips to the craft or hardware stores would yield something that would work with a little imagination.

Or just go with leca...really the only downside is a little more weight and less free space to fill with water so its not a big deal if a true false bottom is a hassle due to lack of suitable materials. If you plan on doing multiple vivs though it may be worth the cost to you in the long run. Not sure what it is there but here it usually comes in a 48inch x 12? inch sheet and is like 10-15 dollars I think, and is enough for several smaller vivs, or a couple medium sized ones.
24x24 sheet for 20..
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Pumilo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 10,041
Thanks: 813
Thanked 1,765 Times in 1,295 Posts
Default Re: New Tank, Some Questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendro Dave View Post
Not sure what it is there but here it usually comes in a 48inch x 12? inch sheet and is like 10-15 dollars I think, and is enough for several smaller vivs, or a couple medium sized ones.
Comes in 48" by 24" for about $12.
__________________
Doug
Questions are not ignorance. Questions are the birth of knowledge.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pumilo For This Useful Post:
jamesthornton (03-18-2011)
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 27
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: New Tank, Some Questions!

Just had a huge garage clear out and salvaged some stuff, wondering if it's usable? Got 2 panes of glass from an old viv. Would a glazier cut these down to size or would I be better off just getting new ones? And we threw out an old bay and I took some of the leaves. They're all dead and brown - are these usable?

Cheers
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
first tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Morph tank questions... dewton Breeding, Eggs & Tadpoles 2 09-03-2010 03:02 AM
Tank Building Questions jruffing46 Beginner Discussion 8 05-21-2009 04:25 AM
Tank/rack questions harpy Beginner Discussion 2 08-12-2006 02:14 AM
Questions about tank setup... themann42 Beginner Discussion 7 05-12-2005 10:52 PM
Got my tank....now a few more questions Iheartdarts Beginner Discussion 6 03-31-2005 12:26 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.