Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 02:13 PM

Default New Tank, Some Questions!

Just got a new tank off ebay and don't have much money at the moment so I'll do it a bit at a time and wanted to ask a few questions about the very start.

The tank is 24x15x18 inches and I'm not sure what's going in yet, but definately going to keep it horizontal. I'm unsure what to do about putting a pane of glass underneath the hood, as I want to run a misting system, and as you can see from this photo, there are holes in the hood meant for cables.

So would a pane of glass in there be best? As well, I don't know how I would go about fixing it so I can lift it off to feed. Hinges or just a handle to lift it off?

Any help would be good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2011, 03:32 PM

Default Re: New Tank, Some Questions!

Aquarium hoods don't work well for darts as they're not remotely frog or fruit fly proof. Do some searching on here about glass tops. You're better off getting a piece of glass cut (save room in the front for a vent). Here's a tutorial that I found helpful
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...glass-top.html

and here's one that shows a front vented screen

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...glass-top.html
The Following User Says Thank You to freaky_tah For This Useful Post:
frogface (03-13-2011)
Old 03-13-2011, 04:15 PM

Some aquarium hoods have glass separating the light from the tank. Does this have anything like that, or is the light just exposed to the air? If it has a glass shield and there are no areas up in the fixture the frogs could get into then it may be usable as a top with some modifications but if not I'd probably just get a glass top and light strip. If you want to use the actual light you may be able to set the whole hood over a glass top still. If you just have the one tank I wouldn't bother with a misting system especially on a small tank like that. If its part of a whole rack of tanks thats another story but I'd just hand mist that puppy if you have less then 10 vivs Save the $100+ for a misting system and use the money to pimp out the tank in sweet plants and hard-scape materials. Could do a drip wall with a tom's aqua lifter pumps...and/or a waterfall.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:24 PM

Cheers guys.

For the pane of glass do you get it cut to the outer dimensions and silicone it on top? I think i'll find a local glazier and go and talk to them about that living/piano hinge!

EDIT: I forgot. Will a drain be necessary? I was gonna use leca and membrane so will it hopefully evaporate rather than build up?

Last edited by jamesthornton; 03-13-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthornton View Post
Cheers guys.

For the pane of glass do you get it cut to the outer dimensions and silicone it on top? I think i'll find a local glazier and go and talk to them about that living/piano hinge!

EDIT: I forgot. Will a drain be necessary? I was gonna use leca and membrane so will it hopefully evaporate rather than build up?
I doubt it would be necessary to silicone it to the top, just rest it there on the lip thats just inside the rim as most tanks have one for holding a top. I thought it was a 20H but your tanks is actually a bit deeper front to back then a 20H so probably can't just buy a pre-made aquarium top. So ya get a couple pieces cut and a hinge. When figuring out what size pieces you need take space the hinge takes up into account, and also measure from the inside of the rim of course...unless you just want the glass to rest on top of the rim, but then it could slide off pretty easy (In which case siliconing it might be an idea), I'd just get it cut to fit right though and not worry about that.

The water can build up in any tank if it is misted to much, and you don't have an overflow drilled into one of the sides of the tank. There is a difference between a drain and overflow...a drain you will manually have to drain the tank, an overflow will just flow out that hole once it reaches the right height, but either is quite a hassle for a small viv IMO, I wouldn't bother...just keep a turkey baster handy and try not to over mist. You should be able to tell if its building up in the drainage layer just by looking. FYI since leca takes up volume in that drainage layer that area will hold less water then if you just did a false bottom, which would also make the tank lighter.

If you do get an automated mister get a seconds timer so you can fine tune how often and how long it mists the tank for so it doesn't flood it. Generally though when you mist you just need to get the surface of everything wet, not completely saturate the soil like a lot of people do and then complain about their tank flooding and think they need to drill every tank when its a waste usually and risks breaking the viv You can even mist more then once a day, if you don't over do it without ever flooding your tank, but people are silly.

Last edited by Dendro Dave; 03-13-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendro Dave View Post
I doubt it would be necessary to silicone it to the top, just rest it there on the lip thats just inside the rim as most tanks have one for holding a top. I thought it was a 20H but your tanks is actually a bit deeper front to back then a 20H so probably can't just buy a pre-made aquarium top. So ya get a couple pieces cut and a hinge. When figuring out what size pieces you need take space the hinge takes up into account, and also measure from the inside of the rim of course...unless you just want the glass to rest on top of the rim, but then it could slide off pretty easy (In which case siliconing it might be an idea), I'd just get it cut to fit right though and not worry about that.

The water can build up in any tank if it is misted to much, and you don't have an overflow drilled into one of the sides of the tank. There is a difference between a drain and overflow...a drain you will manually have to drain the tank, an overflow will just flow out that hole once it reaches the right height, but either is quite a hassle for a small viv IMO, I wouldn't bother...just keep a turkey baster handy and try not to over mist. You should be able to tell if its building up in the drainage layer just by looking. FYI since leca takes up volume in that drainage layer that area will hold less water then if you just did a false bottom, which would also make the tank lighter.

If you do get an automated mister get a seconds timer so you can fine tune how often and how long it mists the tank for so it doesn't flood it. Generally though when you mist you just need to get the surface of everything wet, not completely saturate the soil like a lot of people do and then complain about their tank flooding and think they need to drill every tank when its a waste usually and risks breaking the viv You can even mist more then once a day, if you don't over do it without ever flooding your tank, but people are silly.
I'm in the UK and our tanks are rubbish. There's no lip and they're really expensive. So I think I'd have to use the hinge and silicone the back sheet of glass down and leave the one being lifted up free.

Is there anyway to do a false bottom without egg crate? That's also ridiculously expensive here.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I'm in the UK and our tanks are rubbish. There's no lip and they're really expensive. So I think I'd have to use the hinge and silicone the back sheet of glass down and leave the one being lifted up free.

Is there anyway to do a false bottom without egg crate? That's also ridiculously expensive here.
I have done this on some of my tanks. A small screened area, then a piece of glass that is siliconed down to the top of the tank that goes in the center, and then the front piece of glass hinged (I've used silicone and I've used duct tape to fashion a hinge. I'm on a very tight budget ).

Oh, I make my screened area by framing it in duct tape and then taping that down to the tank and the 'fixed' piece of glass. If you're a DIY type then I'm sure you'll come up with something much much nicer to look at
Old 03-13-2011, 05:21 PM

Thanked 1,765 Times in 1,295 Posts

I built a rimless glass tank like that for my brother. A screen is optional but nice. We put a 2.5 inch screen across the back. The screen frame was 1.5 inches leaving a 1 inch mesh all the way across the back. Next you will need two pieces of glass cut to sit on top, a front piece and a rear piece. The rear piece will be glued with silicone to the top of the tank. We used this acrylic hinge. Click to buy plasti-hinge 1-3/4'' x 1-1/2'' from Josh's Frogs. We also have wide ranges of acrylic door/lid supplies. Fast shipping. Excellent services - Josh's Frogs Glue it to the front and rear pieces of glass with silicone. I like to drill 2 or 3 small holes (about 1/4 inch) through each half of the hinges so the silicone has extra grabbing strength. This is the only attachment that that front piece of glass will have. Use a handle like this. Click to buy clear acrylic pull from Josh's Frogs. We also have wide ranges of acrylic door/lid supplies. Fast shipping. Excellent services - Josh's Frogs
No getting around having to lift the hood off each time you need to open the tank.
Here is how to make a screen. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...ction-how.html

Last edited by Pumilo; 03-13-2011 at 05:22 PM. Reason: screen link
The Following User Says Thank You to Pumilo For This Useful Post:
frogface (03-13-2011)
Old 03-13-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:

Ya if there is no inside lip guess you'd have to.

As for a false bottom with no egg crate you'd just have to get inventive. Basically you just need a rigid structure that wouldn't be degraded by the water and is porous enough to allow the water in the false bottom to evaporate back into soil. Honestly nothing comes to mind right away but my guess is some trips to the craft or hardware stores would yield something that would work with a little imagination.

Or just go with leca...really the only downside is a little more weight and less free space to fill with water so its not a big deal if a true false bottom is a hassle due to lack of suitable materials. If you plan on doing multiple vivs though it may be worth the cost to you in the long run. Not sure what it is there but here it usually comes in a 48inch x 12? inch sheet and is like 10-15 dollars I think, and is enough for several smaller vivs, or a couple medium sized ones.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Ya if there is no inside lip guess you'd have to.

As for a false bottom with no egg crate you'd just have to get inventive. Basically you just need a rigid structure that wouldn't be degraded by the water and is porous enough to allow the water in the false bottom to evaporate back into soil. Honestly nothing comes to mind right away but my guess is some trips to the craft or hardware stores would yield something that would work with a little imagination.

Or just go with leca...really the only downside is a little more weight and less free space to fill with water so its not a big deal if a true false bottom is a hassle due to lack of suitable materials. If you plan on doing multiple vivs though it may be worth the cost to you in the long run. Not sure what it is there but here it usually comes in a 48inch x 12? inch sheet and is like 10-15 dollars I think, and is enough for several smaller vivs, or a couple medium sized ones.
24x24 sheet for 20..
Old 03-13-2011, 07:22 PM

Thanked 1,765 Times in 1,295 Posts

Quote:
Not sure what it is there but here it usually comes in a 48inch x 12? inch sheet and is like 10-15 dollars I think, and is enough for several smaller vivs, or a couple medium sized ones.
Comes in 48" by 24" for about $12.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pumilo For This Useful Post:
jamesthornton (03-18-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 12:48 PM

Just had a huge garage clear out and salvaged some stuff, wondering if it's usable? Got 2 panes of glass from an old viv. Would a glazier cut these down to size or would I be better off just getting new ones? And we threw out an old bay and I took some of the leaves. They're all dead and brown - are these usable?

Cheers

Tags
first tank