Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Simple water feature?

Well, I have my PVC, eggcrate, bug screen, and water pump in my aquarium and I've been staring at it for about a half hour, lol. I was trying to think of a way to build a small stream from the top left of my aquarium that will end up in the front center. Sorry if that seems confusing...I have a bowfront, so I was going to make the front 4-6 inches of it a lagoon. I want the stream to look realistic, but I'm not ready to get into all the mortar/great stuff parts of the hobby yet, since it's my first PDF aquarium. Anyways, would it be ok just to use something like pond liner shaped into the stream and place lots of small rocks on it, so you won't be able to tell there's anything underneath the rocks, or would it be better to not even bother with a waterfall/stream if I'm not willing to use anything such as great stuff to build it? I know it probably won't look as good, but it's not gonna stay like this forever....just until I'm a little more experienced with everything that goes into the whole hobby of Dart frog keeping. I was also curious how to keep the substrate from falling into the lagoon I plan on putting in the front of the aquarium....is this just something I'm gonna have to deal with? If it matters, I'm not quite sure what kind of frogs I'm getting yet, but it'll probably be one of the common beginner frogs: Auratus, Leucomela, or Tinctorius. If anyone has any advice or opinions, please help me out. Thanks a lot for any help you can give!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2005, 07:04 PM

If there is one thing I have learned about water features, it is that they never really work the way you think they would. I have had to make mine, and then redo it a couple of times to get it to work properly. I know I have seen some people have success at streams, but the one I made kept on leaking, and essentially making a swamp in the area around it. So, if you are making a stream, try your best to make it contained, because even a little bit of water can cause a swamp...
I ended up filling in my pond and stream so I had more ground room to plant stuff.
-Beeswaxx

Scott
Old 06-30-2005, 05:51 AM

So you wouldn't recommend a water feature at all? I was thinking of a big waterfall, but I figured that a stream would be easier and would be more beneficial to the frog so that it would be more gentle instead of water pouring from rock to rock. Does anyone have any other advice on streams?

Old 06-30-2005, 06:46 AM

I'd say try it, but it might not work exactly how you have it pictured, it will take some patience and tinkering. Keep us updated.
-Beeswaxx

Scott
Old 06-30-2005, 07:30 AM

Well, hopefully if it doesn't turn out exactly how I plan at first, there will be a way to make it at least a little closer to what I'm hoping for. I'm just worried it'll look better in my head than it will in the tank....Gotta learn stuff like this somehow though, right?
Old 10-27-2005, 05:20 PM
Khamul

HI, how did the stream work out? I'm trying to do the same thing again, after having given up on in it in my 29 gallon tank. I now have a 55 gallon tank and was hoping to have a stream, powered by an external filter canister, starting high up in the right side of the viv, over the land, and emptying out on a pond in the center of the viv.