Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 04:49 PM

Question Newb Question.... Auratus

I am very new to this and have taking a liking to the Auratus. What I was wondering was is this species semi arboreal or are they ground dwelling?? Also since petco is having their $1 a gallon sale I was thinking about buying a 20G and making it a vert tank.... Would this be ok for a pair or maybe a trio?? Sorry for the dumb questions i just haven't been able to find these answers in my research thus far. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2010, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Newb Question.... Auratus

No questions are dumb my friend. Auratus are a great starter frog! From my understanding they like to climb as much as leucs so a 20 vert would be good for them.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:54 PM

any idea on how many i would be able to house in a 20 vert?

Old 10-11-2010, 05:59 PM
TWI/ASN

auratus are actually considered to be more of a terrestrial frog. All frogs - especially froglets and younger smaller frogs will "roost" or seek to climb and sleep in a higher spot though. That's mainly a defense against predators like spiders, scorpians and centipedes that forage for prey, at night and on the ground.

When they get older and heavier....they spend more time on the actual ground. Leucs do seem to climb a little more than Tincs and auratus though.

I would get a 20 gallon long at the petco sale....get a glass top as well (not on sale though).

2 or 3 auratus would be best suited to that size enclosure.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:03 PM

I wouldn't be wondering how many to put in a twenty... You need to worry more about the design.,.. If it is designed perfectly with many hides, folige barriers, and broms...Design is the most important and key aspect of design... When you release them remember to release at one time that way they establish terratories all at one time... =P more people are gonna chime in... this is just the basic info I have learned
Old 10-11-2010, 08:17 PM

Research the type of auratus before you purchase. The level of "shyness" seems to very quiet a bit between types. My highland bronze are very comfortable in their tank and out frequently. Ive seen many posts though where different types tend to be very reclusive. Again, tank setup, giving them places to hide helps a lot with this...
derek
Old 10-12-2010, 02:46 AM

So the auratus is a more terestrial species then?? I just need to know which type of viv to design. If they will be some what arboreal then i will do a vert if they will be more terestrial then I will keep it on its bottom.

Thanks for all the input everyone.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:35 AM

and im not specifically got to have auratus.... any other suggestions would be considered. I would like to have a arboreal/ terrestrial frog more so than just a ground dwelling one for now. Once I aquire more room I will broaden my horizon lol
Old 10-12-2010, 04:06 AM
TWI/ASN

Leucomelas are what you want then.

2 in a 20 gallon high tank would be ideal.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:21 PM

do the leucomelas come in other morphs besides the yellow and black banded?? Just curious.

So since Leucs are probably a better choice for what I am wanting can anyone give me some ideas for a setup that would work best for this species?
Old 10-12-2010, 12:41 PM

Are we talking a 20H or 20long? If its a long I think a vert is definitely on the small side for a trio, maybe even a pair...a 20H made into a vert would be better for a pair, maybe even a trio but I think you are still pushing for a trio unless its very well designed. If you want a trio I'd do a 20H and leave it horizontal (not a vert)...

When talking about tanks with a height difference of only a few inches I think overall vert vs horizontal is kinda irrelevant for the most part...Pretty much any dart will probably venture a foot or 2 off the ground if it feels safe doing so...IMO the few extra inches we give frogs in most verts verses a horizontal tank is probably pointless for the most part once you are much over the height of a standard horizontal 10gal...now a 40 vert vs a 20H horizontal or 10vert may be enough of a difference to actually matter to the frogs...but like 6-8 inches extra they usually get from going vert? ...Probably not IMO.

I think you'll enjoy a trio in a 20H.
NVEOUS (10-12-2010)
Old 10-12-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendro Dave View Post
Are we talking a 20H or 20long? If its a long I think a vert is definitely on the small side for a trio, maybe even a pair...a 20H made into a vert would be better for a pair, maybe even a trio but I think you are still pushing for a trio unless its very well designed. If you want a trio I'd do a 20H and leave it horizontal (not a vert)...

When talking about tanks with a height difference of only a few inches I think overall vert vs horizontal is kinda irrelevant for the most part...Pretty much any dart will probably venture a foot or 2 off the ground if it feels safe doing so...IMO the few extra inches we give frogs in most verts verses a horizontal tank is probably pointless for the most part once you are much over the height of a standard horizontal 10gal...now a 40 vert vs a 20H horizontal or 10vert may be enough of a difference to actually matter to the frogs...but like 6-8 inches extra they usually get from going vert? ...Probably not IMO.

I think you'll enjoy a trio in a 20H.
I will most likely go with a 20H just for the little extra space. And I am in no hurry to purchase anything here soon. Probably not for at least 4-6 months if not longer.

I want to do this right the first time and take my time doing so. I don't like to just throw things together.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVEOUS View Post
do the leucomelas come in other morphs besides the yellow and black banded?? Just curious.

So since Leucs are probably a better choice for what I am wanting can anyone give me some ideas for a setup that would work best for this species?
Others can fill you in on the details, I forget the specifics but in the hobby there are actually several luecs treated as separate morphs...

Lets see how much of this I can remember and get right...

Standard luec (orange or yellow...still same frog), Banded luec (2 possible locals/morphs 1 being larger then the other?...Green foots, but really this is a line bred trait if I remember right and probably not a morph still a standard luec. Looks like according to the care sheet fine spots are separate morph (Not sure I buy that...but I don't know enough to argue)

I'd say you can very ethically get away with 3 luecs in a 20H as a horizontal tank, a pair if you turn it into a vert.

As for setup, I'd just try to give them varied terrain, a background that has ledges and/or caves for them to climb or chill in, good plant cover, maybe some leaf litter. could do a corner pond with or without waterfall, a drip wall too if you wanted.
NVEOUS (10-12-2010)
Old 10-12-2010, 01:00 PM

I like the idea of the corner pond. And I'm sure I could come up with a varied terrain for them pretty easily.

I've been looking at other members vivs and have gotten some pretty good ideas.

Any ideas on what kind of plants would work best for them?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I like the idea of the corner pond. And I'm sure I could come up with a varied terrain for them pretty easily.

I've been looking at other members vivs and have gotten some pretty good ideas.

Any ideas on what kind of plants would work best for them?
Anything viv suitable...Might be nice to have at least one plant with thick enough leaves and stems to hold their weight. I spent most of my first years in the hobby relying on broms and what I could find at home depot or lowes. Broms are great and definitely deserve a place in the viv but I suggest building a collection of truly miniature plants, and stuff that stays on the smaller side or grows very slow at least. Gives you a lot more options, and most of the smaller stuff at the stores doesn't flower. I'd check into vendors like violetbarn.com and of course the sponsors. The smaller Gesneriads are a good place to start and jewel orchids also.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:22 AM

I thought that orchids were a bad choice since they need somewhat different temps and whatnot to survive
Old 10-13-2010, 02:30 AM

also i've been trying to figure out if the $1 a gallon sale is for all of the Petco stores or not. Mine closes at 7 and before i could call to verify it it was 7:30 already. Any info on that would be great since i get paid right before the sale is supposed to end.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:15 AM

Quote:
I thought that orchids were a bad choice since they need somewhat different temps and whatnot to survive
No there are tons of different kinds of orchids with lots of different requirements. Most of the stuff you find at lowes or home depot probably isn't the best but many orchids do well in vivarium conditions...the one thing that many like that is hard for some to provide is a little airflow, like from a small fan...but there are even lots that don't need that. I'd do a search for "good vivarium orchids" or other terms like that. Also many of the orchids sold by some of the vendors are good choices.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:36 AM

The tank sale should be all Petcos. Just picked up a 40 gallon breeder for myself the other day.