Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 11:24 PM

Default My first fruit fly experience...

Hello hello,

So I just had my first ever experience with fruit flies. Please, please tell me this gets easier. My first culture experienced a "boom" today, so I decided to prepare my first culture. I think I used a little too much media, but anyways!

How on earth do you guys deal with these things? They are so fast its ridiculous. I had a very hard time getting them from one container to another. I even used a funnel.

I had a few escapees which didn't make it very far, and then I shut the cover on a few too. No frogs yet and already dead flies!

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips for handling the flies.

What I don't understand is when to start a new culture. If I have two frogs, then I should have a culture each. But then every ten days, a new culture starts to do well and that's when you're supposed to start a new one right? Wont I be making cultures faster than I'm finishing them?

Thanks a heap,
Reg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 11:33 PM

Default Re: My first fruit fly experience...

You probably will have more cultures than you need, but, trust me, that is soooo much better than having your cultures crash when you only have a couple.

The whole ff thing really freaked me out at first. I did not like maggots, at all. The first time I pulled maggots from the culture to give my frogs a treat, I was gagging, seriously. Now, only a few months later, it doesn't bother me a bit. In fact, rather than using a spoon to grab the maggots, I use my fingernails as they are more precise. Mmm hmm.

Just keep in mind that these are not flies in the garbage. These are amazing little creatures that you cultivated using your finest cheap potato flakes and yeast.

As far as them getting out all over the place, that just takes practice. It gets a lot easier.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:53 PM

Gotcha - more cultures = a good thing.

I'm not sure if I'll ever be comfortable enough with the flies to actually use my fingernails as a maggot spoon, but as they say, different strokes for different folks!

My parentals aren't too pleased with me let me tell you. They're worried I may let some escape and we'll have an infestation. Is this even possible?

Old 10-06-2010, 11:59 PM

Not unless you have fruit all over your house. Fruit flies only live for a few days. Even if some do escape they're just going to die, not infest. Try transferring them into new containers outside on your porch. Them if they get loose it doesn't matter. I did this until I got used to them. I don't have escapees anymore.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:03 AM
TWI/ASN

Just make sure you are tapping the container so the flies keep falling to the bottom instead of crawling out. When I first started feeding my frogs when I tried to put the flies into the dusting container I would always have a bunch of escapees. Now with a little experience (just a few weeks) I barely get any. You'll get the hang of it, trust me.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Just make sure you are tapping the container so the flies keep falling to the bottom instead of crawling out. When I first started feeding my frogs when I tried to put the flies into the dusting container I would always have a bunch of escapees. Now with a little experience (just a few weeks) I barely get any. You'll get the hang of it, trust me.
Yes tapping is good and what I still do. or sticking them in the fridge will slow them down.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:39 AM

I just started a post about first fruit flys and someone said first transfer them to a dusting cup then to the new culture. I'm now understanding what he meant, the guys don't move very fast at all in the dusting cup (just make sure there is dust in it).

p.s. heres the link to that thread...

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/beg...uit-flies.html
1.1 D. ventrimaculatus
Old 10-07-2010, 02:50 AM

Here's a handy video on culturing FFs.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:06 AM

This is something i've been looking for lately. Very helpful!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:00 AM

just posted this about a week ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by james67 View Post
ok so i'll post a little bit about culturing since there seem to be a few inquiring minds on this thread.

where to buy: well its actually against the site (dendroboard) rules to say that one sponsor is any better or worse than another, but in this case i dont think there is an issue since either way most any sponsor who sells cultures will be able to provide good flies and for a reasonable price.

what to buy: melanogaster are the best choice for beginners. they have a 1 week (roughly) lifecycle (from egg to fly) and are far easier to produce than the larger and longer hydei. both wingless and flightless flies are fine. wingless tend to be better for those who worry about escaped flies, since at higher temps the "flightless" flies can mutate and become "fliers". flightless flies retain the wings but not the ability to fly and hold more vitamin supplement because of the surface area of the wings.

heydei are larger, and will eventually be the staple of larger frogs like auratus, leucs, and tincs. they take twice as long as the melos and can smell much worse. these come in both gold and black as well, which makes no difference (IMO).

media: i make my own media and i dont have problems with smell, mold , or mites (for the most part) its all down to the recipe. most medias will produce a substantial amount of flies, but they all consist of a few main ingredients, being a sugar, a protein, a base (like potato flakes or oatmeal) and a mold inhibitor, as well as some active yeast (not necessary to add).

a simple recipe is this modified "carolina" mix.

4 parts dried potato flakes (base)
1 part powdered sugar (sugar)
1 part BREWERS yeast (protein) available online, or at a nutritional store
a dash of cinnamon (for smell)
and methyl paraben (added per instructions)

this should be mixed with water to form a semi firm mixture (not soupy) then excelsior (or other similar material like coffee filters/ which i dont personally like) should be added. flies can be added to this and presto.... FF cultures.

containers: glass or plastic containers are fine, some of us use glass (mason jars with the metal lid removed and a coffee filter inserted) while some dont like to mess with clean up and prefer to use "disposable" plastic containers which can be ordered online.

culturing tips: when making a new culture pour flies into a small container (like a gladware) and shake with dust. this will allow you to easily transport the files to a new culture.
make new CXs (cultures) once a week when the newest flies emerge. (use these flies)
label your cultures with dates in sharpie or similar way
help prevent mites by keeping old (older than 4 weeks) CXs out of the culture/ frogroom area. they can decimate even the best cultures.
when feeding flies and transferring to a dusting container gently spin the culture with the lip facing slightly downwards towards the dusting tub instead of tapping the container, as cultures get older the get more wet and this will help keep the media in the bottom of the CX where it belongs.

good luck and remember to start culturing before you get your frogs, dont let them suffer due to an inability to maintain their food properly

happy frogging,
james
james
Old 10-09-2010, 02:28 AM
TWI/ASN

Hahahaa... I remember that happening to me. I had FF's all over the kitchen, my wife was sooo mad. You'll get the hang of it.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:58 AM

I used Josh's frog media, I followed the recipe but it looked a little on the dry side so I added more water. Also, it looked like there was a ton of food in there. Do the flies eat it all or what, my culture from Understory has about 1/3 of the amount of food than my new culture but that may be because its already 15 days old?

Do any of you adjust Josh's recipe/guidelines?
Old 10-09-2010, 08:53 PM
TWI/ASN

It should be firm, kinda dry. The FF larvae will liquify it a bit when they start eating it. The culture will most likely be tossed before they finish it all.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogface View Post
You probably will have more cultures than you need, but, trust me, that is soooo much better than having your cultures crash when you only have a couple.

The whole ff thing really freaked me out at first. I did not like maggots, at all. The first time I pulled maggots from the culture to give my frogs a treat, I was gagging, seriously. Now, only a few months later, it doesn't bother me a bit. In fact, rather than using a spoon to grab the maggots, I use my fingernails as they are more precise. Mmm hmm.

Just keep in mind that these are not flies in the garbage. These are amazing little creatures that you cultivated using your finest cheap potato flakes and yeast.
So true about getting used to it. Gross at first but now I actually enjoy creating life.