Dendroboard banner

Finding food

889 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  elmoisfive 
G
#1 ·
I am putting 3 leucs in my 18 inch cube. lots of plants and everything. How are they going to find their food? SHould i put fruit in for the flies to attract them?

#2 ·
Your leucs will hunt down flies wherever they may travel in the viv. It doesn't hurt to have a piece of fruit to localize the flies but it is not necessary. Two of our leucs are in a 29 gallon and half the time they prefer to wait and let the flies disperse and then start tracking them down.

If you have very young froglets, anything you can do to ensure that they are eating well, i.e. getting the flies to congregate is probably a good idea. As the frogs get older, I wouldn't worry so much. Provided the flies aren't escaping from the viv, your frogs will find them.

Bill

#3 ·
Healthy leucs aren't apt to miss food and quickly find out exactly where it is coming from. If it's there, they will hunt it down.

I don't like to concentrate the food in one place with a fruit bait, at least not with more than just a couple of leucs, because of the concentrated competition that may ensue. The bolder ones will eat it all. If you scatter it around, the others have a chance. While leucs generally get along in groups, there is a kind of pecking order. The ones who need it least, get the most, and may over-stuff themselves. It depends upon how many you have and in what size tank, however.

Patty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.