Dendroboard banner

Snail time!!

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  slaytonp 
#1 ·
Well well, looks like I have a visitor! A little snail backround for you: I purchased an aquarium plant about a month ago, on which I saw a small snail. I thought "cool, something to eat the algae and such." Put the snail in the viv, never saw him till the other day. He looked a bit bigger than the month before, but not much. He is a conch style snail. This morning I am checking out the tank, and I discover a "regular" type snail under the false bottom just cruising along the glass! NO idea where he came from. Hopefully they will leave the plants alone. Just thought it was cool. Didn't have time to snap a pic, but if I see him again I will. Just thought I'd share!

#5 ·
Snails in general, do eat plants other than algae, as well as frog eggs, and can reproduce like crazy and become pests. I have some very tiny "land snails" that are in flat spirals and don't seem to harm plants or eat frog eggs. I'm not sure where these came from--probably from a plant purchase in the past. I stopped worrying about them being a pest when they not only proved they weren't devouring plants, but I witnessed one of my imitator tadpoles in a brome axil rip one out of its shell and eat it, when the unfortunate snail wandered too close.

Some aquatic snails are alternate hosts to parasites that affect mammals. I know a lot about these. However, I know nothing about the snail/fish/ amphibian parasite cycles that might occur, but even with dart frogs, you might be cautious about encouraging aquatic snails in your waterways.

#6 ·
from what i understand is that the tiny black snails (the first picture) are the real pests. they breed like crazy and can easily take over a fish tank. a lot of people accidentally bring them into their aquariums when they purchase plants.

the snail(s) i was referring to putting in my vivarium is a typical land snail (second picture). i've never heard anybody ever mention them as a pest, but then again i've barely ever heard anybody talk about them in the first place.

slaytonp, think you can find a pic or take a pic of the kind of land snail you have in your tank that doesn't seem to be a pest?

correct me on any information you can, i'm pretty curious now.

#7 ·
The first pic is of a common pond snail. And yes, they do breed like crazy.

The second is considered a pest by many people, as it may eat eggs, and damage plants.

Luke

#8 ·
I'll try to get a picture of one of the tiny flat ones I have in the next day or two when I find a cooperative one that's photogenic. They are about 5mm or 1/4 inch across with a flattened spiral, dark brown. I find them on plant leaves and the glass, where I think they are eating algae, as I've never seen any plant damage from them. They don't seem particularly prolific, so I haven't bothered picking them out. They've been present in a couple of the terrariums for about 5 years.

#9 ·
You can find those in the woods around here. They probably don't damage plants like you said, they are very small. I'm not sure about eggs though, I woud be cautious.

Luke

#10 ·
They haven't eaten any eggs in 5 years that I've witnessed, so I'm guessing they don't. They were an accidental introduction, possibly from a plant source in West Virginia, but I'm not positive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.