Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 04:40 AM

Default So Ive decided that I want a dart frog.

So I know a guy who just got a dart frog, and after talking to him about it. I think I want to get a vivarium.

So I was just wondering, for about $200-300, what kind of setup could I get?

Where is a good online store to order the equipment from?

Im going to take a look at the "Sheets and Articles" now and read up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 05:18 AM

Default Re: So Ive decided that I want a dart frog.

Hey coby and welcome.

how far your money will get you is kinda too broad of a question to answer in a simple way.

it depends on a lot of things such as what size tanks, or type of tanks your interested in. It depends on what kind of darts your looking at getting as they vary in price. Pretty much most online dart frogs suppliers are going to take care of all your needs, there is plenty to read up on the site that can steer you in the right direction.

pretty much you might as well kiss 40.00 to 60.00 bye bye off the top for the cost of shipping .. if you can get most of your supplies/plants local you will save a lot on shipping. If you can get away with ordering just your frogs online... it will save you some cash.

I would also check out the classifieds on here to see what you can find.

I would also suggest checking out member tanks and how they built them to give you a direction to go towards... hope this helps
Old 07-12-2010, 03:34 PM

Most of the making of the vivarium is done DIY so you save there but if you want to save alot, look here on the for sale section for used equipment and supplies and use craigslist to find local things. First big way to save money is the tank. Although exo terras and zoo meds are very functional with the doors and such, its a lot cheaper to get a used 20g on craigslist.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:06 PM

well, i bet if you start off by telling us where you're from, there will be some local froggers more than happy to get you started.

welcome to the board. :-)
Old 07-12-2010, 07:11 PM

you have started in the right direction by coming to this site. Do you research and plan of having you take setup for a month or more before you put frogs into it.

also

this

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin mac View Post
well, i bet if you start off by telling us where you're from, there will be some local froggers more than happy to get you started.

welcome to the board. :-)
Old 07-12-2010, 11:56 PM

YOu can get setup tanks at reptile shows for low prices. And it's sometimes easier, less expensive and loads more fun to make your tank setup
Old 07-13-2010, 03:19 AM

Im from UT.

So what are the sites that sell the main stuff? I just want to look to get an idea of prices.

Also, I looked, but what is like a checklist of all the basics that Ill need?

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:20 AM

joshesfrogs.com and blackjungle.com are two that I use.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:46 AM

saurian.net is also good.....and all 3 are very helpful....
Old 07-13-2010, 03:50 AM

also, the petco $1/gallon sale is probably still going on, so you can pick up a brand new tank for cheap....but if you're doing a 40 gallon or larger, you can easily spend $200-$300 just on the setup, filter, plants, background, etc, etc, and that's before you buy frogs and pay $40-50 to have them shipped!

If you're interested in breeding, Patrick at Saurian.net has several nice breeding pairs available of some of the more common species. After having dart frogs for a year, I purchased a breeding pair from him a few months back, and am now filling our family room with tadpole cups.......lol
Old 07-13-2010, 04:04 AM

I think I want a Dendrobates Amazonicus. But Im not sure if I want just one frog. So can anyone recommend a frog thats around $60 that I could get 2 of? And then help me come up with a decent setup for said frog?

Last edited by Coby; 07-13-2010 at 04:06 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:31 AM
TWI/ASN

Dendrobates amazonicus/ ventrimaculatus is a very nice frog but personally I wouldn't start with them because they are so small. They are "thumbnail" dart frogs, so they stay very tiny and the males especially can slip through just about any small gap in the lid. They are also rather shy sometimes. You also aren't likely to find them at $30 each...
I would start with leucs, tincs, or auratus. These are all very colorful an much hardier and easy to care for. They would also be in your price range, many people, including myself, sell leucs and tincs like azureus for $30-35 each.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:14 AM
Mod

I'm gonna agree with him... I have a couple amazonicus and I definitely wouldn't recommend them as a first frog. They are beautiful, but after keeping things like auratus, azureus and terribilis I would definitely recommend one of the larger species for your first frogs. Try your hand with the frogs that are a little more hardy and will allow more room any beginner mistakes.

Also, as Bryan said... Auratus, any tinc morph or leucs would be in your price range too
Old 07-13-2010, 07:17 AM

Where in Utah do you live? There are several local breeders here around Salt Lake.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:31 AM

Thanks guys, Ill look into those ones that you recommend.

Toof, Im in Tooele. Id like to get one locally that way I could meet some people and get some first hand info.

Im going to keep looking. But I need a checklist of the equipment I need.

Im sure it depends on the species, but what is more often better, a longer vivarium or a taller one?
Old 07-16-2010, 09:36 PM

If you settle for a mainly ground dwelling species ( the popular beginner species like auratus, tincs, leucs etc.), a horizontal viv is best. I can really recommend Phyllobates bicolor as a beginner frog by the way. It was not love at first sight for me, but they sure are brave and comical frogs that are very hardy and eat almost anything.
I'll give a start for a list of thing to think about:
-Vivarium: Second hand vivarium pro: cheap and allready "furnished". Plants are allready grown in. New viv: clean, you can give it your personal touch. All and all I think the second hand fully decorated viv is usually cheaper than decorating your own viv from scratch.
- Water: will you spray by hand (every day or every couple of days)? Or will you spray automatically (more costly but less hassle and easier if you are away for weekends etc.) So: handmister (few bucks) vs. spray installation (hundred bucks or so).
- Food: how are you going to culture the frog food? Do you have a place for the fruit fly cultures in mind? They stink a little, that's why I keep them in the hall way and not my living room for example.
- Temperature: how will you heat the set-up? Heat cable is an option, sometimes the lighting is enough but this depends on the kind of frog and the room temp around the viv.
- What lighting will you use? For good plant growth this is essential and can be a bit costly. I paid around 100 euro's for lights on a 1 meter high viv.
- Offspring: Most hobbyist eventually (rather sooner than later) get offspring. You can house these in plastic shoe boxes for instance or in there own fully decorated viv. This of course depends on your budget and the room you have.
- Ground: you can use a false bottom for drainage made from egg crate. On top of this comes the cocopeat or something similar. This is all reasonably cheap.
- Plants: You can keep this really basic or very fancy; all depends on your creativity and budget. My planting cost me about 30 euro's (but I had a lot of cuttings in there that I got for free).
-Wood for decorating: this will cost 0 to 100 bucks, depending on what you choose
- Background: you can make this yourself with great stuff for instance or you can buy fern tree panels (first option: 10 bucks or something similar, last option can easily be in the 100 bucks)
- Animals: the price of dart frogs is very variable. Some cost only 10 euro's or so, others go for 200 dollar. Roughly stated the cheap frogs are the best beginner frogs that breed the most.

I hope this helps you get an idea. If you're interested, I can send you an excelfile with my expenses that were made for my vivs etc. It is in Dutch, but that's nothing Google translate can't handle
Old 07-28-2010, 02:37 AM

Hey guys.

So when I was looking at all the stuff for frogs a few weeks back, I also looked into some reptiles. And I actually ordered a Crested Gecko and a good setup for it. I mainly chose that because theyre really easy to take care of and you can handle them which was a plus for me. But I still want a Dart Frog. So Im back to keep reading about them.

So Im looking around again for a place to order the frog from, and a place to order the viv setup from.

Ill be doing some more reading, but expect some more questions from me in this thread!

Thanks

Edit: Thoughts on Ranitomeya variabilis? I know theyre a thumbnail, but Saurian mentions "beginners".

Im 110% dedicated so would it be possible for a beginner with dedication?

Last edited by Coby; 07-28-2010 at 02:43 AM.