Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 06:46 AM

Default PDF water questions.

Hello! I am new to the board and very new to PDFs. So new that I don't have any yet! I have had other frogs in the past, but those have been largely aquatic species. Please use small words and speak as if you were talking to a rather stupid child

I have a Zoo-Med 12x12x18 tank that I intend to set up for some thumbnails (leaning toward R. ventrimaculatus, R. variabilis, R. imitator or maybe R. lamasi). Due to the lack of floorspace there is not much room for a water feature. I could certainly make one work, but I don't know if any waterfall or standing water at all is even necessary and I'm trying to keep it pretty simple. Are there good beginner species that don't need any terrestrial water at all? I plan to incorporate at least one, but probably 3 or so little broms higher up in the tank. Will that be sufficient? Could I use a seed pod or coconut half sunk into the substrate to hold some water lower down if it isn't? I don't like the look of the man-made water dishes.

I feel like such a noob asking so basic a question! I have looked at several sites, caresheets and previous posts on these forums for info on this, but none seem to address it at all. Judging by some of the viv pics posted here I would guess it is not needed, but I don't want to screw it up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010, 07:11 AM

Default Re: PDF water questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistles View Post
Hello! I am new to the board and very new to PDFs. So new that I don't have any yet! I have had other frogs in the past, but those have been largely aquatic species. Please use small words and speak as if you were talking to a rather stupid child

I have a Zoo-Med 12x12x18 tank that I intend to set up for some thumbnails (leaning toward R. ventrimaculatus, R. variabilis, R. imitator or maybe R. lamasi). Due to the lack of floorspace there is not much room for a water feature. I could certainly make one work, but I don't know if any waterfall or standing water at all is even necessary and I'm trying to keep it pretty simple. Are there good beginner species that don't need any terrestrial water at all? I plan to incorporate at least one, but probably 3 or so little broms higher up in the tank. Will that be sufficient? Could I use a seed pod or coconut half sunk into the substrate to hold some water lower down if it isn't? I don't like the look of the man-made water dishes.

I feel like such a noob asking so basic a question! I have looked at several sites, caresheets and previous posts on these forums for info on this, but none seem to address it at all. Judging by some of the viv pics posted here I would guess it is not needed, but I don't want to screw it up!
You don't need a water feature. Especially in that small of a tank. Get something to cover the screen top. You can use glass. plastic, etc to keep humidity up. As long as you mist the tank you'll be fine. Broms hold water too
Old 06-11-2010, 03:21 PM

just agreeing with jeff here trying not to rehash hehe you just dont need a water source as long as the tank is misted
-scotty

Old 06-12-2010, 01:49 AM

Thanks very much! The tank will be well misted. I thought the broms would be sufficient, but I didn't want to be wrong and have frogs die because I was too proud to ask.

Tags
beginner, water