Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2005, 08:52 PM

Default Questions about tank setup...

I wanted to test out a new computer program, and decided it would be an interesting idea to build a model of what I'm planning on making for my first vivarium. I'm glad I did, because seeing it in 3D raised a couple questions that would have really prolonged construction if I had just tried to go ahead and build it from my imagination.

Here's what I had in mind, it's a 29gal for 4 Leucs:

Of course there would be plants, and also a piece of driftwood. I'm imagining a peice of driftwood that slopes from the main ground in the back left up to the little cave area, so I wouldn't need an actual piece of sloping land there.

(1) The main land area to the back left I want to have a steep slope into the water, and I'm not sure how to accomidate this. From what I understand the substrate is a mix of things like cocofiber, bark, and stuff like that, and is pretty loose layed. With such a steep bank, almost vertical at one point, and sloping into the water also, I don't think the substrate would stay. It doesn't pack like that does it?

(2) A similar question about where the land slopes from above land to under water. I will use the same egg crate wrapped in screen to create a wall preventing the substrate from getting under the false bottom. The question is, how do you place the substrate there to get the slope? Is it just loose layed? Wouldn't that slowly erode?

(3) Anybody see any other areas that could possible cause a problem or give me trouble?

Like art + design?
www.simplyadammann.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2005, 02:44 AM

for the verticle part you can stack styro foam blocks and just silicone some coco bedding on it so you dont see the stryo foam part.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:48 AM
TWI/ASN

The 3d program looks like a great idea, but you should look at the dimensions of a 29g. At least the one that I own (AGA brand) is wider than it is tall. That may alter the way you want to design your tank.

Old 05-11-2005, 04:08 PM

Wow I can't believe I didn't notice that. I must not have been thinking when I did that model because the dimensions were for a 20 tall. Oh well, I took a minute and kept the same layout but changed the size so here it is now. Thanks for pointing that out. I might change the backround slighty now, but keep the same idea.

Back to the questions... If I did use silicone and coco bedding would that stay adhered well underwater? I could use Great Stuff to form it the way I want and that should work just as well as styro foam right?

However the only thing I think that might be a problem with that is water circulation. If I form the land the way I want, with Great Stuff being water proof, none of the water would be able to get back under the false bottom and into the pump.

Also, would moss grow well on coco bedding and silicone? I want moss to grow right to the water if I can. Would having too sleep of a slope be a problem for this either?

Like art + design?
www.simplyadammann.com
Old 05-11-2005, 04:26 PM

i think what you have looks pretty good. i like to use a piece of wood attached to that false bottom to hold the land area back. then you end up with a wood barrier to keep the land from eroding into the water.

you need some type of screen opening in the GS to let water pass back under the false bottom from the water section. this can be covered with gravel to disguise it.

attached is a sub-par pic of my 29 (under cinstruction)

the pic shows a pice of wood in the center. in front of this piece of wood will be the water section. the water will extend to the right in front of the vertical section of GS. that GS will be covered with rover rocks to make a water fall. you can also see a "river" coming from the back to the front center (similar to what you have drawn). the river is molded out of GS but will be covered in silicone and river rocks.

on the left i have an opening between the GS and the side of the tank. ive installed a bit of nylon mesh that will let water pass through to under the false bottom. i will have gravel stacked up in front of all the GS on the left contouring into the end of the river and the edge of the pond area. this will hide my false bottom totally, and give the feel of a total gravel substrate.

HTH

Old 05-12-2005, 05:13 PM

do you have to seal great stuff? For that matter, do you have to seal styrofoam, and if so, isn't it a pain in the butt??
Old 05-12-2005, 05:37 PM

this is my first GS built viv, so i cant say from personal expeirience. i have read that if its not fully cured it will leach toxins into your water. i have been taking so long with this build that the GS in it will be long hardened by the time i get any water in it.

also, i read around and this has been a popular viv construction method for a long time with seemingly no ill effects.

as far as styrofoam, i would seal it. i built my paludarium land with styrofoam. i sealed it with a 2 part epoxy.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:52 PM

great stuff is completely cured in 24 hours from what the products says, so aslong as you let it cure for 24 hours your fine.