Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 09:58 PM

Default Need Your Opinion...New Member

I have been browsing this thread for quite some time and i decided to start with thumbs (vents). I would like your opinion on what i decided to do.

I am going to purchase 4-5 frogs, 2 months out of the water. I want to acquire a breeding pair from these. I am going to house them in 190oz. containers (separately) until i have the 10 gallon vert setup. Then when they reach about 6 months of age (out of the water), i am gonna take a male and female and put them in the tank.

The rest i would like to sell as sexed adults. What do you think i could get for them at 6 mo. of age and sexed?

I am looking to make enough selling the rest to pay off my pair that i will be keeping. Does this sound do-able? What are your thoughts on my idea?

The money from the sales would be put toward a different species of darts. This way i will have 2 pairs of diff. species to breed.

I appreciate any input (+ or -).

Thanks
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2010, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Need Your Opinion...New Member

It might be hard to find any thumbs that young for sale if you want them shipped. Most are closer to six months when you see them for sale. I would prepare the tanks for them all first. If you are wanting a pair there are pairs availible at times and it will be easier than sexing the juvies/subadults yourself as a beginner.
Im not sure how much of a profit you will make with only a couple of months difference and the chance of losing one or more is possible being a beginner jumping straight into thumbnails.
Just my two cents.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:36 PM
Mod

You can keep them all together while you are finishing your tank. A 190oz container is enough for 4-5 froglets. You may also want to think about keeping them as a group, instead of selling off the extras immediately. It will probably be more than 6 months before they are giving you much in the way of good eggs, and you would want to observe them as a group to determine which m/f duo are the best suited for each other. It wouldn't be a problem to keep them all together permanently as vents can do well with several individuals in an enclosure (a 20g might be better if you decide to go this route).

Old 04-26-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison beauties View Post
It might be hard to find any thumbs that young for sale if you want them shipped. Most are closer to six months when you see them for sale. I would prepare the tanks for them all first. If you are wanting a pair there are pairs availible at times and it will be easier than sexing the juvies/subadults yourself as a beginner.
Im not sure how much of a profit you will make with only a couple of months difference and the chance of losing one or more is possible being a beginner jumping straight into thumbnails.
Just my two cents.
I am looking for a frog that doesnt take 2 years to mature and reach breeding age, and i have done alot of research on these and feel they are fit.
Would i be better off buying a pair?
I was hoping that the 3 left over i could sell them and make a little bit of profit to cover at least one of the ones i am keeping.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
You can keep them all together while you are finishing your tank. A 190oz container is enough for 4-5 froglets. You may also want to think about keeping them as a group, instead of selling off the extras immediately. It will probably be more than 6 months before they are giving you much in the way of good eggs, and you would want to observe them as a group to determine which m/f duo are the best suited for each other. It wouldn't be a problem to keep them all together permanently as vents can do well with several individuals in an enclosure (a 20g might be better if you decide to go this route).
How big exactly is a 190 oz. Container? I have seen pictures but no one actually mentioned dimensions or size comparison (2.5 gallon tank, 5.5, 10)?
Can all 4 stay in a 190 oz. comfortably for 3-4 months? Keep in mind i am purchasing them when they are 2 months out of the water.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Also, one more question. Your 20 high conversion kits...are they fruit fly proof? 100%?

Thanks
Chris
Old 04-26-2010, 10:47 PM

Making enough off of the extras to purchase another group is possible but as far as a big profit that would also cover the original pair, I'm not sure about that.
They will do well in a breeding group but if a breeding pair is your goal I would find a proven pair because they may mature at six months but I have seen them go two years before eggs showed up in the tank .
If you did the research then go with what you want but I would not plan on a big profit off of the extra three.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Making enough off of the extras to purchase another group is possible but as far as a big profit that would also cover the original pair, I'm not sure about that.
They will do well in a breeding group but if a breeding pair is your goal I would find a proven pair because they may mature at six months but I have seen them go two years before eggs showed up in the tank .
If you did the research then go with what you want but I would not plan on a big profit off of the extra three.
Thanks for your help. I may keep the 4-5 in the tank, and see which ones pair up then at a later date decide which ones to sell to acquire my new group.

Thanks Again
Chris
Old 04-26-2010, 10:49 PM

190 oz. containers are 9.75 inches x 6 inches high I beleive. It might be cheaper to get a 2.5 of 5 gallon for them after you pay shipping for a container.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:52 PM

Nothing is really fruit fly proof. Even a sealed tank lid has to be opened now and then and some fruit flys will probably be at the lid ready to crawl out everywhere.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Nothing is really fruit fly proof. Even a sealed tank lid has to be opened now and then and some fruit flys will probably be at the lid ready to crawl out everywhere.
Im looking to have a setup where im prepared to look for escapees when i open the lid or door but i dont want them crawling out on their own at night when the tanks gonna be in my bedroom. I want it fly proof 100% unless the door is open then thats up 2 me to keep an eye on them.

What do you think would be my best bet to keep them inside when the tank is shut.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:02 PM
TWI/ASN

Seems that if all you want is a breeding pair, the cheaper (and safer) route will be to look for ads here on Dendroboard of proven breeders for sale. With that said, you will loose some of the fun and mystery of watching the young frogs develop, but you will at least know that you have a pair that has produced fertile eggs in the past.

Breaking even can be accomplished if you buy a group and sell off the extras (but only if you can sex and even pair off the extras as an additional few months of life will not add "market" value to an unsexed frog). You do however have to take into account other variables such as cost of feeding/housing the extras, and - in particular, the chance of loosing one or two. Since these will be your first thumbs and first darts you will be much better off starting with a pair than a group IMO.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:56 AM
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris92486 View Post
Im looking to have a setup where im prepared to look for escapees when i open the lid or door but i dont want them crawling out on their own at night when the tanks gonna be in my bedroom. I want it fly proof 100% unless the door is open then thats up 2 me to keep an eye on them.

What do you think would be my best bet to keep them inside when the tank is shut.
If you install it correctly, and the fit is precise, then yes. But it sounds like you may have parents/roommates that wouldn't take kindly to a fly here and there. If this is the case, you may want to rethink frogs, because there WILL be escaped flies/insects, especially when you are getting the hang of culture tapping/dusting.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
If you install it correctly, and the fit is precise, then yes. But it sounds like you may have parents/roommates that wouldn't take kindly to a fly here and there. If this is the case, you may want to rethink frogs, because there WILL be escaped flies/insects, especially when you are getting the hang of culture tapping/dusting.
Yes you are correct I do live with my parents, i will be culturing/dusting my flies in the basement, and when feeding is needed i will bring them up in a deli cup with a lid and dump them in the tank. The cultures will be kept on mite paper along with sticky fly paper around them, i mean if one or two got out i dont mind the cats will get them but i cant afford to dump 50 flies in the tank and overnight 25 of them get out, ya know what i mean.

I am very careful when handling insects to assure none escape, i've bred bearded dragons and went through a ton of crickets, i had maybe 3 escape the whole time that i had them.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:06 AM

i just can't stand by and read this anymore. it is my pet peve that you are doing.(trying to make money off a hobby with no exp of doing so with frogs)
I find this wrong is many ways. you should not be thinking. oh can i make money off these frogs. you need to realize it's a hobby first and if they breed then ok. There are plenty of people who have been breeding for years. we truely don't need more.(unless it's for rare breeds)

lets think a head a few months with these tads you are buying. what happens if you lose some or all and don't get a breeding pair? you will lose money and sell them all and try again. Now if you must become a breeder. do it the smart way. find a breeding pair and make up there cost later on tads.

sorry for the rant. it just bugs the hell out of me who do this. animals don't need to be thought of as a sorce of income. they should be thought as pets/family members.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:24 AM

Just so you know, you can never make money off of Dart Frogs and it is near impossible to break even. Just enjoy the hobby, buy the frogs because you like them.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:57 PM

I appreciate you being honest i wanted some (-) input also.
I am not looking to make money, what i want to do which i have done in the past with leopard geckos and bearded dragons, buy a bunch pair off the ones i liked and sell the remainder to cover the ones i want to keep i am on a tight budget and would like to have a pair for a display tank in my room and the breeding project would be something for fun not for money. I may not even sell the tads/froglets i raise. Its just alot of $ to spend up front and i didnt plan on spendin that much to begin with but to acquire a pair it seemed like a decent idea.

I may be better buying a pair upfront.

Thanks for your advice.
-Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatdude View Post
i just can't stand by and read this anymore. it is my pet peve that you are doing.(trying to make money off a hobby with no exp of doing so with frogs)
I find this wrong is many ways. you should not be thinking. oh can i make money off these frogs. you need to realize it's a hobby first and if they breed then ok. There are plenty of people who have been breeding for years. we truely don't need more.(unless it's for rare breeds)

lets think a head a few months with these tads you are buying. what happens if you lose some or all and don't get a breeding pair? you will lose money and sell them all and try again. Now if you must become a breeder. do it the smart way. find a breeding pair and make up there cost later on tads.

sorry for the rant. it just bugs the hell out of me who do this. animals don't need to be thought of as a sorce of income. they should be thought as pets/family members.