Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Phyllobates aurotaenia

Just picked up a trio of these at the Virginia CB Show. Under the Canopy Farms had an excellent selection of healthy frogs. I will post pics as soon as I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2005, 04:47 PM

I also got some of these frogs from them but it was at the Tampa show. These are amazing looking frogs, dont let the pictures on the internet fool you, these have to be seen in person to truely appreciate them! Also from what I have read, they are one of the top 3 most poisonous dart frogs in the wild and were thought to be the #1 until teribilis was discovered.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:24 PM

Aurotaneia, bicolor, and of course, terribilis.

Old 04-18-2005, 10:32 PM

they are definately more beautiful than internet pictures show. the morph that under the canopy has, has blue spots everywhere. They are bold too, mine stay out in the open or whithin a little tiny bit of looking all the time, and I just got them 2 days ago. I am having trouble deciding if they are eating or not.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:39 PM

Auros are great frogs and great eaters, so if they are healthy they should eat. I am very happy to hear that other people are interested in them . They are a favorite of mine. However, I do think they are an under appreciated dart... to bad for the other froggers without any lol.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:05 AM

I have to agree with Jon, they are a great frog. I got my group of 5 from him, they are really bold (like most Pyllobates) and eat a ton for their size. Definately an under appreciated frog.
Ed
Old 04-19-2005, 02:49 AM

how do you guys make sure that your frogs get the fruit flies. I'm finding my flies climbing the glass alot to get away. I'm also not finding that my frogs are going after food items very much either. This could also be that i've only had them a few days as well.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:57 AM

Try dropping a few dusted FFs directly in front of each frog and observe their behavior. If they are eating, you will see them snapping at the moving flies.

Dusting the flies tends to decrease their ability to climb the glass but ultimately they lose the dust off their feet and climb anyway. If you limit the number of flies fed at any time to an amount that your frogs will devour quickly you will have fewer escapes.

Finally, don't worry if for the first few days the frogs don't eat much. They are adjusting to their new surroundings and should come around. Make sure that you are keeping their viv within the right humidity and temperature range and put them on a constant light-dark cycle.

Good luck.

Bill
Old 04-19-2005, 12:44 PM

thanks, I'm trying to keep the viv on a 12-14 hour cycle currently the humidity hovers between 80-95% and the temp is in the mid 70's but never below 70. I will try the spot ffed tommorrow.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:09 PM

I have been looking for some aurotenia, and found some on KS, but they say the have orange, and green morphs. The "orange" morph clearly looks like vittatus, so I am kind of sketchy buying from a place who has no idea what they have. I would greatly appreciate if someone could give me under the canopy's phone # or email address if they have them!

Thanks,
MIKE
Old 04-19-2005, 11:21 PM

I actually emailed those people on kingsnake awhile ago to tell them that they weren't listing them correctly, but I guess they didn't change the post :? . Here is a link to the under the canopy's site: http://www.underthecanopyfarms.net/pages/1/index.htm