Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Got my tank....now a few more questions

I picked up a really nice 36 gallon bowfront from Black Jungle this past weekend.

A few quick ones:

1. The silicone I should use for the back is the black GE II for windows and doors right?

2. the PVC spacers on the bottom- should I plug the top up with something so water doesn't get trapped in there sitting stagnant? If so.....what do y'all recommend?

3. If I'm making my own waterfall type area....what can I safely use to glue some rocks together in the viv?

Regarding methods of having pump access:

One of the biggest decisions I'm having to make is how to create access to my pump. I'm using the PVC eggcrate false bottom method.

I've never seen this suggested and would like to know what you think....

I was thinking about getting a piece of PVC wide enough to fit my pump in and just notching the bottom and sticking it right down to the bottom of the tank and just covering the top at surface level with a rock or a habiscape cave or something like that.

I might end up using a kiddie-cornered piece of cork bark to create an access area instead. (would cork bark rot if submerged in water like that?)

Any alternatives to these methods?

Thanks so much for the help

-DET
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2005, 05:10 PM

1. Yes, or you can use the brown

2. I have never seen plugged ones, but that would be a good idea, or you can cut slits/notches in them so the water can mix inside the spacers.

3. Silicone works great to hold rocks together, I used Great stuff foam to build my waterfall and hold the rocks together and filled in the cracks with grey silicone.

Pump Access:
Actually a lot of people use this exact method. If you ever need to access the pump, you can just stick your hand down the pvc, or pull the pump out.
Cork bark can last a pretty long time in water.

Everything sounds good, keep us posted.

Luke
1.0.3 D. ventrimaculatus
1.0.1 D. pumilio "Cristobal"
1.0.1 D. pumilio "Rio Branco"

1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.4 Hymenochirus boettgeri
Old 03-29-2005, 05:12 PM

I am doing pretty much exactly that for holding my pump. I also built up walls around the PVC pipe with greatstuff. I am still working on getting a rock to fit on top that is removable.
As for the the PVC spacers, just cut a notch in the side of them for water to pass through.
-Beeswaxx

Scott

Old 03-30-2005, 03:47 PM

Default a couple more

what should I use to wash my tank with before I silicone the back? Is it even necessary?

Should I wash the ghostwood I got from Black Jungle before putting in my tank? If so, with what?

thanks again

-DET
Old 03-30-2005, 05:54 PM

Washing a tank is not necessary unless it was previously used. You can just rinse it with water. The thing is not to have dust on the glass when you apply silicone, it won't stick as well.

As to the wood, I didn't wash any of my wood, but if you want to be more cautious, the best way is to boil it. You can also emerse it in a bleach solution (bleach:water, 24:1), but it then you will need to rinse it extremely well to make sure you get the bleach out of the wood.

Luke
1.0.3 D. ventrimaculatus
1.0.1 D. pumilio "Cristobal"
1.0.1 D. pumilio "Rio Branco"

1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.4 Hymenochirus boettgeri
Old 03-31-2005, 11:15 AM

Iheart-
Instead of using a fat pvc pipe, which takes up more space than needed, I used a section cut out of a plastic sled, so that I could bend it into place exactly where i needed it (in the corner) and then I applied the foam on top of it to hide it completely. It goes from the very top of the tank down below the false bottom. It creates an open channel down the back corner through which the pump can pass, as well as my hand if for some reason I need to reach down below the false bottom. For the top, where the channel is open, I covered it with saran wrap, and then applied a thin layer of foam. As it dried, I formed it into shape, so that when completely dry, all I had to do was remove the saran wrap and presto~ a perfect cap. After cutting a slit for cords to pass through, it was complete. Just my thoughts on it.. Good luck!

1.1 D.auratus
1.1 D.leucomelas
2.0.2 D. imitator
1.0 Atheris squamigera
1.1 Agkistrodon contortrix
0.1 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri
1.0 Epicrates cenchria cenchria
Old 03-31-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: a couple more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iheartdarts
Should I wash the ghostwood I got from Black Jungle before putting in my tank? If so, with what?
I rinse the ghostwood from Black Jungle with clean water to remove any dust or debris prior to placing it into the viv but nothing more stringent. I haven't had any problems to date.

Bill