Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 04:34 AM

Default What to put in the new tank build

I have been lurking around the forums for a couple of months now and am in the process of building my 29 gallon high, set on its end. I have contemplated using the tank for some crested geckos, but the more I look at it, i keep coming back to PDF's. I dont have plans for a water feature, but I could add a little one if needed. Here are some pics of the tank build. I have the door done, but am still trying to figure out how I want to hinge the front door. My real question is in regards to future inhabitants. with the height of the tank and the depth what would you recomend.

Bottom Glass glued in

Full tank shot

Top vent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2009, 05:58 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: What to put in the new tank build

I think it looks good, but it's hard to give you feedback on what will go best in there without seeing what it looks like when it's all set up.

What I can tell you is probably something arboreal. _Maybe_ some leucs (I don't know how much floor space you'll end up having, so I can't quite say). I'd say a pair of imitators would do extremely well in here.

And don't do a water feature in this size tank. It would take up far too much floor space.

Division: Frog Police
Old 09-18-2009, 06:05 PM
TWI/ASN

that is a pretty sweet looking tank so far, nice framing work witht eh screen.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ven...340-julio.html

Old 11-27-2009, 03:30 AM

Finally got around to posting some pics of the tank finished with wood, and few pothos, still need to plant some more, but that will be determined by what I decided to put in. What would you guys recommend for this tank?? I misted 5 days ago, and my hygrometer is still reading 80%, so it is holding humidity quite well. Jon

Old 11-27-2009, 04:04 AM
Dedicated Supporter

OK, come clean on how you set that door up! Looks like thumbs would be good in there
Old 11-27-2009, 06:29 AM

That's a nice looking tank. If you throw in some broms I say use it for pumilio.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:46 PM

You definitely must share the the secret of the door
Old 11-27-2009, 11:22 PM

The door was quite easy, after I siliconed in the bottom glass, I used a window screen making kit to frame in the bottom glass, and siliconed it in place to the fish tank lip. (this allows support for the door too). Then I determined how much of a top vent I wanted, and made it with the same window kit and glued it in place. Once I had these two in, I made the frame for the glass door, once i had this, I measured for the glass peice to be cut at lowes. I left a 1/4 inch around the glass and used aquarium silicone to secure it to the frame, once that cured for a couple of days, i used the same brown silicone i used on the background to cover the edge of the glass to make it smooth. I used some hinges I had laying around, by using a 5 minute epoxy to fix them to the frame and the inside glass wall. I had to notch the top trim to fit the hinge along with the magnetic latches on the opposite side. I epoxied a handle to the door and that was it. I am still looking at putting some type of latch on the outside, just as a security precaution (cat in the house).

I got the idea from the following website, and with all the materials, i spent around $30 total for supplies.

Rapture Reptiles - Vertical Door Construction

After looking at the drainage layer, I think I need to increase the depth a little (only at 1.5" right now)

Thanks for the advice, I am going to add some nice broms to the main peice of wood. Any other suggestions?

Jon
Old 11-28-2009, 12:02 AM

Thats how I thought it looked like it was done. I'm going to give it shot on the 40 gal vert I'm getting ready to build.
Yours is starting to look good. I cant wait to see more pics of it when you finish planting it