Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 08:46 PM

Question how much water is too much

After two years, I have finally worked up the nerve to redo tanks, and drilled two tanks, a 29 high and a old 40 gallon, put them on a 55 stand with a ten gallon sump, and a Rio 1100 pump that I drilled holes for 1/2 inch supply line to the old drip wall plumbing. So, I am very happy-no cords interfering with lids, no clogged pumps that I can't get to, etc. The whole system is on a timer, 12 hours on a day, off at night, and the tanks maintain about 1/2" of water in the bottom overnight. My concern is how much water is flowing through. The drip wall not only drips a lot, but I have sprays going over and hitting the front glass (pretty and clean!!). One tank has a line of water the size of pencil running into a shallow pool. So, is this just too much water? The pump was the smallest of the pumps I could find that would go up 6' of head space. Can frogs drown? The bottom is good substrate with very small depressions (3-4") scooped out for standing water. ?????? Hope I am not getting ready to add to the "dumbest newbie" thread again.
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2009, 08:50 PM

Default Re: how much water is too much

You should give your frogs someway to get out of the pool. They can't swim very well if at all.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:09 PM

pools are shallow, depressions in the substrate, so its easy to hop in, and hop out, and they do. I'm more concerned with them just having too much downpour for 12 hours...

also, at the risk of highjacking my own thread, I have several groups of auratus, some are green and bronze, but some were supposed to be all green and black, but three of those six are obviously turquoise and black. Are these just color morphs or are they distinct subspecies or localities that should be subspecies? I'm asking because I have them together, as they were all sold as "green and black." and I'm assuming the green and bronze are a true morph and should be kept separate?

Old 06-08-2009, 09:14 PM

They should be kept separate, but as juveniles it's ok.
Just don't breed them.