Deciding on Plants.. - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2009, 07:08 PM
winyfrog's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 149
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Deciding on Plants..

Okay I am to the stage of deciding which plants to put into my vivarium. My viv is 72 gallon bow front tank.

What plants would you put in and where would you place them? I want to see a nice assortment, flowering, green, verigated etc. I have considered putting frog bit into my pond??? is this something that I could do?

Will T5 lighting be efficient for my plants?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Ziggi's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Moncton, New-Brunswick
Posts: 901
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Deciding on Plants..

Plants are totally up to you.
Such a variety out there that there's no cut and dry "put this in".
I would place them in the tank lol, just kidding but we'd need a picture of some sort of structure for your bowfront before providing advice.

Frog bit can be placed in your pond, i've been told it will take over your pond in no time though, so might not be something you like.

T5 lighting will do as long as it's 6500K or more, and that you have enough watts/gallon for your tank. Other wise it may be dark and plants may not grow properly.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2009, 07:49 PM
winyfrog's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 149
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Deciding on Plants..

I will be spraying in my background this weekend. I will post some pics of it after I have it sprayed. I wanted to put planters etc. into the background so that was part of the reason that I was trying to figure out which plants.

Is there a good plant site that I could look at pictures to help me decide on plants?

Thank you
Reply With Quote
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2009, 07:51 PM
winyfrog's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 149
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Deciding on Plants..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggi View Post
T5 lighting will do as long as it's 6500K or more, and that you have enough watts/gallon for your tank. Other wise it may be dark and plants may not grow properly.

What is the recommended watts/gallon for a vivarium?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2009, 02:13 AM
zBrinks's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 6,110
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 44
Thanked 333 Times in 212 Posts
Default Re: Deciding on Plants..

Wattage really depends on the height of the vivarium, and the types of plants. I use around 1-1.5 watts per gallon on most of my vivariums.

Here's a helpful post:
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pla...um-plants.html
__________________
Zach Brinks
www.JoshsFrogs.com
Same day shipping 1(800)691-8178
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2009, 06:50 AM
SmackoftheGods's Avatar
TWI/ASN
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,029
Thanks: 63
Thanked 198 Times in 138 Posts
Default Re: Deciding on Plants..

I don't know exactly which part of Utah you're in, but we've got some local places that you can pick up some plants from. Cactus and Tropics have some generic neoregelia broms, creeping fig, peperomia, cryptanthus. some ferns, etc. My more specialized broms have been coming from Spring Valley Tropics, but there are a variety of vendors here who have a wide selection of broms, all you need to do is check the plant classifieds.

As far as plant placement goes, if you're nearby we're a small but tight-knit little community of froggers here in the orem/provo area, I doubt if we'd mind swinging by and pointing you in the right direction.... Or next time we make a trip up to SLC. Just some thoughts
__________________
Jake

Rank: Captain
Division: Frog Police
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2009, 06:54 AM
frogparty's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: carlsbad, california
Posts: 8,328
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 256
Thanked 428 Times in 370 Posts
Default Re: Deciding on Plants..

get a peperomia prostrata, great viv plant



__________________
I like frogs with racing stripes
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2009, 08:59 PM
winyfrog's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 149
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Deciding on Plants..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zBrinks View Post
Wattage really depends on the height of the vivarium, and the types of plants. I use around 1-1.5 watts per gallon on most of my vivariums.

Here's a helpful post:
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pla...um-plants.html
thanks for the link, that will be very helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2009, 09:02 PM
winyfrog's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 149
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Deciding on Plants..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackoftheGods View Post
I don't know exactly which part of Utah you're in, but we've got some local places that you can pick up some plants from. Cactus and Tropics have some generic neoregelia broms, creeping fig, peperomia, cryptanthus. some ferns, etc. My more specialized broms have been coming from Spring Valley Tropics, but there are a variety of vendors here who have a wide selection of broms, all you need to do is check the plant classifieds.

As far as plant placement goes, if you're nearby we're a small but tight-knit little community of froggers here in the orem/provo area, I doubt if we'd mind swinging by and pointing you in the right direction.... Or next time we make a trip up to SLC. Just some thoughts

To bad I am 300 miles away. in St George. I've been to cactus and tropics when I was living up north I use to go there, great place. thanks
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2009, 09:03 PM
winyfrog's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 149
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Deciding on Plants..

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogparty View Post
get a peperomia prostrata, great viv plant
Thats a cute little plant.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Viv plants as patio plants markbudde Plants 2 07-01-2008 02:17 PM
plants from outside? munchi Plants 3 05-25-2008 12:18 PM
Plants frank6 Plants 6 05-08-2008 05:22 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.