Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 05-08-2009, 03:46 PM

Question Designing a Vivarium and other questions for beginner.

I have a 110 gal 6' long about 18" high aquarium that I want to convert to a Vivarium. I'd like to use a under aquarium filter to make a waterfall that flows through a "river" and then empties into a pool on the other end.

I've kept lots of fish but this is new to me so here are some questions and if you have any tips that would be great too.

1. Is a bad/good idea?

2. How much depth should the pool, soil and river have?

3. What should I use for soil (assume and easy to keep, pretty species and good breeders would be a plus too)

4. I was thinking of filling the river with smooth pebbles is this ok?

5. What should I use (if anything) to build up a "bank" for the pool?

6. plex or glass for the walls?

7. Any other tips?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Designing a Vivarium and other questions for beginner.

Hi
i had roughly the same idea on a smaller scale and asked these questions so have a few answers...

1 - it is neither, its a common idea...darts are jungle creatures so recreating their natural environment will always enhance the keeping of the frogs, plus is a good way of understanding their needs a little better - hides, feeding areas, plants etc

2 - most darts wont go in deep water as far as i know, from what im told, so the pool is more for you than them conisder using a false bottom in here...build a shelf with glass which is the land area, build a beach with rocks (so the substrate is seperated from water by a beach of rocks, plus if a frog falls in he can get out...no shelves!

3 - i am using cocofibre, but this holds a lot of water so make sure it doesn't wick from the pool...hence the band of rocks

4 - this is fine, but make sure anything you put in the viv is sterilised first - you can boil them on the stove for this...i assume you are using a PVC pipe to create the "river"...you can silicone rocks and pebbles in this.

5 - as stated above, anything that wont soak up or overly dirty the water. might be an idea to add a filter of some kind (mechanical would be best)

6 - go with glass as its stronger...ive heard of plexiglass bending or warping under weight and things shifting.

remember, research the needs of the frogs you are going to keep...consider using real plants in this set up as you can have a self-sustaining mini eco system where you need only to add the frogs food

look on here, vivarium forum and Find Me A Reptile (UK but still very good) for journals of peoples viv builds for ideas!

what are you going to house in this viv?

J

Old 05-08-2009, 06:42 PM

Hi,
I think you have the right idea and you have a great sized tank to work with.
The only thing I see that may not be perfect about the idea is that there is much too big of a water area.
PDF's don't really need that much water, in fact the water can't be very deep at all as they are not the best swimmers.

Maximizing land area and having a small pond and stream would work well.

Another idea I can put out there is to have a divider in the middle of the tank.
That way you could house 2 different dart species in the same tank saving space.
Just because a 6' long tank could house, oh I don't know 20-30 leucs lol. Just a rough number and exagerated, it's just to say that, it's a very very very large tank unless you decide to keep a large number of the same frogs.

Mixing should not be done, imo, mixing should be left to the very experienced.

Best of luck.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:43 PM

As well,
Use the search function here to vivarium building journals.
That will answer all of your above questions about substrate, false bottom construction, the use of pebles ect...
Search and read and you'll get all your answers

Old 05-10-2009, 12:01 AM

I've been reading a lot here and I think I'll make the "pool" much more shallow than I planned and fill it with stones.

I still don't quite understand false bottoms. Still reading. This is a great community.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:35 AM

I agree w ZIGGI water feature much to big, IMO cut it down from 1/2 to1/8 the tanks size , or put it in the front corner and bend the stream for a nice look.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:38 AM
TWI/ASN

first....

Decide after thorough research, exactly what species of animal you want to keep.

Then....we can go from there. There are 4-5 different Vivarium designs for a couple hundred different species of dart frogs...all with specific designs

Tags
soil, vivarium plans, waterfall