Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Hitchin a ride...

I was feeding my auratus today, left the room and came back, and one of them was gripped onto the back of the other (the larger on the smaller). Almost reminiscent of amplexus in tree frogs, etc. This is the first time I've seen this. I am pretty sure they are both male (ratio of 2.1 in the tank), although the one doing the gripping has gotten pretty fat and and I was starting to doubt it.

If my understanding is correct, they are fighting? This would only take place between two males, correct? Or perhaps two females, but since one is a known male (was calling regularly until a few weeks ago) then I would believe the former is true...

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2005, 08:06 PM

My auratus do the same thing. It sounds like the one on top (larger one) is a female and the one on the bottom is the male.

Start checking your coco huts every night....
Old 02-07-2005, 09:24 PM
TWI/ASN

In tinct group frogs, tinctorius, azureus, galactonotus, truncatus, auratus and luecomelas this behavior is mostly done by females asserting their dominance. The stronger frog pushing the other to the ground. Watch the loser closely because it may need to be housed by itself if it is being repeatedly engaged. Some frogs can't handle the stress. The size of the enclosure and hiding places will also contribute to the success of keeping both frogs healthy.

Other species will engage in psuedamplexus during courtship, Epipes like tricolor, P. vittatus and some pumilio will grab and "ride" each other around.

Just be observant, see if all frogs come out to eat. A frog that stops eating or becomes thin needs rescue.

THanks
eRIc

Old 02-08-2005, 01:16 AM

Thanks a lot to both of you. I am certain that at least the smaller one is a male. He was courting the female with heavy calling for a while. The top one I'm pretty sure is, but I can't say 100%.
This is the first time I've ever seen them do it, and the smaller one is not at all shy around the larger, and in fact they will both eat side by side. They come out to eat long before the female ever does. They are all fat and happy from what I can tell but have only been housed together about 4 months. I have never gotten eggs yet :-( I will definitely keep an eye out for further aggression and remove the subordinate one if there are problems. Thanks again.
Kevin