Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 08:49 PM

Question new frog owner wondering how to feed my tincs...

so, i just got my tank set up (thanks to those who helped with a few questions i had about that) and went to a reptile show last weekend and got 3 tiny tincs (i guess these are "froglets" - they're pretty small and the guy who sold them to me said they'd probably double or triple in size in the next 9 months). i got some pinhead crickets and 2 FF cultures, and i have a question on how i need to keep a steady supply of food.

do i really need to be cultivating FF's? i mean, it just seems like a lot of work, and more than that, i live in a small apartment where i don't have a lot of cabinet space to hide away 5 or 6 really gross looking FF cultures. not that i, personally, am grossed out by much, but i have to have some consideration for the few guests that do venture into my studio-sized dungeon...

i'm just wondering if there's any other way to do this. how much are these 3 going to be eating? how long does a container of FFs last them? how many do i need to have at once? i know the guy that sold those 2 to me said they were staggered about 1.5 weeks apart...

if anybody's interested, i posted a couple of macro pictures of my new tincs on my flickr page (starting with this one: 2009-02-22 New Pets! on Flickr - Photo Sharing!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2009, 09:03 PM

Default Re: new frog owner wondering how to feed my tincs...

Unless you have an abundant source of pinhead crickets on hand all the time you will need to absolutely produce fruit fly cultures. You'll be surprised by how much your tincs will eat. There is plenty of links and information on this site that should of been read previous to getting your frogs, so I would sit down and start reading if I were you and make immediate plans on getting a steady food source.
#1 failure that I've read and seen is not having a proper diet.
make sure you provide calcium and vitamin supplements each feeding as well.
I could rant on and on but better for you to read up on the begginer threads and care sheets provided on this site.
Good luck.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:08 PM

Definitely you want to start making your own FF cultures. Don't get me wrong, you could just order cultures when you need them but that gets expensive. Plus if your mail people are anything like mine your cultures will be getting turned upside down and sideways, killing the flies in there. For only three froglets, I think you could get away with just making 1 culture every 2 weeks.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:39 AM

i agree with what Ziggi and Sean have said.
also, crickets are good to vary the diet but i don't mess around with them, and since you seem concerned with space i recommend dropping the crickets for now and using that time, space and money, to concentrate more on your FFs.
when i started out i had three frogs as well, and i got away with making a culture every other week, but i had issues with mold and such, and had to get bailed out twice. a culture lasts between 1-2 months, anything over two months is asking for mites. so even if your only making a culture once every two weeks you'll only have 4 CXs going at one time, which should be just enough for your frogs with not much margin for error.
if you buy pre made media, making a culture is no more work then making a cup of coffee.
p.s. start off culturing melangasters , hyedi are giving me a run for my money right now.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:50 PM

First of all, nice frogs!

Secondly, these froglets need to be standing in the food to grow. Flyes, springtails, lice, you name it. You have to culture FF's, and right now. 2 is very, very low, since it will cost you 3 weeks before you have new flies. (If your first culture is succesfull)
Old 02-26-2009, 02:09 PM

I would start off with 2 cultures every week. Once you get the hang of it you could cut back to either 1 per week/every other week. You will be able to get a feel for what they need to eat and how many cx's you will need to support them. In the beginning, more is always better ! I am willing to bet that one of your cx's will eventually crash in one way or another.

I started culturing FF 3 months before I had any frogs. I first wanted to make sure it was something I wouldn't mind doing before I was "required" to do so. Second, I wanted to have it down as to avoid a crash when I did get frogs. I am by no means experienced, its only been 5 months and I just recently lost one of my culture's.

(*Side Note= I have also been experimenting with media for my cx's. This could have a result into one of my crash's.)
Old 02-26-2009, 02:10 PM

Another thing that can be helpful is finding other froggers in your area. It gave me a sense of safety knowing someone within my area has FF's as well.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:22 PM

thanks all for the replies. yeah, i've had problems with mail recently, so i think i'm going to go ahead and start making some cultures this weekend. since it's a bit late to order media and have it here by the weekend, i'll give the homemade stuff a shot.

what the hell are the string looking things coming out of the media? very sci-fi looking... i guess they need something to crawl on to get out of the media. since i have a ton of mesh leftover from the construction of the false bottom, do you guys think i can cut that into strips and stick it in the media for them to crawl on?

also, anybody out there in the dc area?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:33 PM

That stuff is excelsior. Found at craft stores.

I have recently been using coffee filters. I fold them and cut the bottom off, then place that cut portion into the media a bit. Seems to provide a bit more surface for the flies to lay on ? I had used some screen though, but it seems the pupae like something a little more moist, (which the coffee filters and excelsior will wick from the media.)
Old 02-27-2009, 03:24 AM

Since your going to make your own cultures and don't stick like the look. Just stick them in a lid less box up high or wrap some paper around the outside of the container. You can also buy excelsior at specialty packing supply stores.