Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 01:29 AM

Default Ive Finally Decided...

To get some darts.

Ive had my 54uk gallon FW aquarium up and running for about a year and a half, and i have just recently drained it as my mum wanted me to move it to my room.

I planned on going for a high tech planted aquarium, but 27gallon water changes at the end of every week sounds terrible, and the fact that it may be too heavy for my room floor has caused me to decide against it.

The good news is that i will still bring this tank up to my room, and i will turn it into a dart viv.

Its a pretty big tank 48"L x 15"D x 20"H.

So my question is, what dart species will utilize the whole of tank and enjoy it the most.

I know pretty much all dart frog species will love this amount of space etc, but take into account the fact that these will be my first frogs.

I have only found one site that has a good rep and mails darts successfully to your door, this being Dartfrog - Everything for the Amphibian Keeper.

For a while i had my mind set on getting a few leucs mainly for the fact that i could have a few of them, 4-5 happily living together, and they are very hardy.

But Ive also been looking at all of the tinc species, and i have fallen in love with the "Nominat" morph.

Any input to whether i should of should not go with these frogs as my first will be greatly appreciated, also any other species suggestions will be very helpful also.

Thanks alot

Richie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Ive Finally Decided...

Congratulations on your big decision! There are a few members here on the board in the U.K. too (I am assuming you are anyhow) that you may want to search for or post a thread in the lounge or in the regional group and events section. If you can get healthy stock from someone local as opposed to a store you may be happier, as well as have an opportunity to develop a relationship with a local, more experienced frogger. There is also a dart frog forum that is U.K based I believe, but I can't think of the name of it right now.
The size tank you have gives you lots of options. Leucomelas, auratus, femoralis, vitattus, and imitators are great starter group frogs and will utilize all of the space provided in their enclosure. You may want to try tincs, but they can be very territorial and are generally not good group frogs. A tank that size may do well with 2 male and 1 female tinc, but you risk losing frogs if they don't get along. Start them out together very young and they will be more likely to tolerate each other later in life. Some people have no problems, but as a beginner it's not worth the risk.
Just my .02
Old 02-18-2009, 04:49 AM

Default Re: Ive Finally Decided...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELLOWROO421 View Post
Congratulations on your big decision! There are a few members here on the board in the U.K. too (I am assuming you are anyhow) that you may want to search for or post a thread in the lounge or in the regional group and events section. If you can get healthy stock from someone local as opposed to a store you may be happier, as well as have an opportunity to develop a relationship with a local, more experienced frogger. There is also a dart frog forum that is U.K based I believe, but I can't think of the name of it right now.
The size tank you have gives you lots of options. Leucomelas, auratus, femoralis, vitattus, and imitators are great starter group frogs and will utilize all of the space provided in their enclosure. You may want to try tincs, but they can be very territorial and are generally not good group frogs. A tank that size may do well with 2 male and 1 female tinc, but you risk losing frogs if they don't get along. Start them out together very young and they will be more likely to tolerate each other later in life. Some people have no problems, but as a beginner it's not worth the risk.
Just my .02

Thanks alot buddy.

Thats ashame about the tincs, id really grown quite fond of the idea.

But none the less you've pleased me by telling me i could try Imi's if i was to purchase from the site i mentioned before they cost a fair bit.

And would probably only be able to afford 2 at once, i assume adding mature frogs to established groups causes friction?

Ive just read on dartfrog.co.uk that Ranitomeya ventrimaculata
'French Guyana' are a good starter frog, they are gorgeous little guys, also they conveniently have a special offer on with them just now, meaning if i get my ass into gear and get this viv set up soonish, i might be able to buy a group of 4 at once rather than have to buy at different times and maybe cause friction.

Im definately going to try and get talking to some of the UK froggers as you suggested, im up in Scotland, so if any more Scots stumble across this dont hesitate to say hello

Richie