Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Encyclia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2020, 07:38 PM

Default Input on Vivarium vent

In a week or so I'll begin working on converting the lid from my exo terra 18x18x24. I know that there have been previous discussions about conversions and my question is less about HOW to do it and more about WHERE the best placement of the vent/screen is.

As you may know, the Exo Terras come with a built in vent in the front. I've seen a few different suggestions about using this vent for passive air flow and using a vent in the top to help circulate the air within the vivarium by placing the vent back some distance. I don't know if I've ever seen a suggestion of the vent being placed at the back of the vivarium and many of the pictures exclude such things as most people aren't particularly interested in the lid.

For those of you who have experience, would you feel comfortable placing the vent at the back of the vivarium's lid or would you worry that this may cause the plants along the back wall to dry out too quickly? I would like to put the vent there to help with the circulation of air within the vivarium while also allowing me to do a lid conversion that will allow me to have glass in the front for my mistking nozzles. I've noticed in videos that they vibrate much less when mounted in glass rather than the screen - obviously.

As always and help and experience you can provide is much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2020, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Input on Vivarium vent

I vent all of my tanks at the back as you are describing. I like the flow of air to move diagonally across as much of the tank volume as possible. It is dry at the back up at the top, but that's where I put my Tillandsia and that part of the tank is commonly hidden because you have to duck down and look up to see it when a tank is at the height that most folks have their tanks at. All of my nozzles are mounted in the front in the top glass, too. It allows me to angle them to hit the plants on the background and there is not much vibration from the nozzles this way. There is still quite a bit in my system just because I don't mount the tubes down hard.

Mark
Old 07-30-2020, 09:37 PM

I top vent all my larger Exos in the back (well, since my reptile room is running 70% humidity right now, I'm going topless for the summer). It simply ventilates the viv better.

I have a handful of 8 x 8 x 12 Exos that I use for growouts, and they are vented on the top front simply because I mist those by hand through the screen top, and I can't do that if the vent is in the back. They do ventilate better when I change the top venting to the back, though.

I vent on the top by simply cutting a piece of acrylic to size and laying it on top of the stock Exo screen. I have cut many assorted widths, so to alter ventilation I use a smaller or larger piece of acrylic. I could also put a vent both front and back using this method if I saw a reason to.

I run a Mistking on my larger vivs, but when I feed (every 3 days or so) I first hand mist any plants/areas that seem to need it (and squirt down dirty areas, and flush broms, etc). I'm not particularly concerned that some areas might dry out faster, since it is easy to counter that with spot misting/watering.

- Whitman

Old 07-30-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
I vent all of my tanks at the back as you are describing. I like the flow of air to move diagonally across as much of the tank volume as possible. It is dry at the back up at the top, but that's where I put my Tillandsia and that part of the tank is commonly hidden because you have to duck down and look up to see it when a tank is at the height that most folks have their tanks at. All of my nozzles are mounted in the front in the top glass, too. It allows me to angle them to hit the plants on the background and there is not much vibration from the nozzles this way. There is still quite a bit in my system just because I don't mount the tubes down hard.

Mark
This is very helpful. I will have to do some serious studying on each of the plants that will be placed in that region with this being said. Do you feel that it is too dry for moss?

Jon
Old 07-30-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
I run a Mistking on my larger vivs, but when I feed (every 3 days or so) I first hand mist any plants/areas that seem to need it (and squirt down dirty areas, and flush broms, etc). I'm not particularly concerned that some areas might dry out faster, since it is easy to counter that with spot misting/watering.
I will certainly keep this in mind. As someone just coming into the hobby, I must confess that the watering/humidity has me more paranoid than any other part of this hobby. I do plan on running the tank empty for a few weeks to fine tune the misting schedule and see where situations like manual misting might be needed. Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-31-2020, 12:05 AM

Quote:
For those of you who have experience, would you feel comfortable placing the vent at the back of the vivarium's lid
Late to the party here, but this is all I do, except when I've got the whole top in screen. I water the hell out of my stuff and get a ton of evapo-transpiration. I drain everything too, but actually get little leachate.

Important detail - the environment outside here is very dry - about 16" precip/yr, about a third to quarter of potential ET. (That giant sucking sound is the atmosphere taking everybody's water.) My herp room feels pretty humid, but the air is still really thirsty.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChromosome View Post
This is very helpful. I will have to do some serious studying on each of the plants that will be placed in that region with this being said. Do you feel that it is too dry for moss?

Jon
At the top next to the vent, it's too dry for most plants, let alone moss. Some people might say, however, that if you are trying to keep your tank humid enough to grow moss everywhere, it might not be a habitat well-suited to dart frogs. If you want moss, I would plan on having it in specific locations in your tank, not all over. Leaf litter should comprise the majority of floor space in a dart frog tank.

Mark
fishingguy12345 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Encyclia For This Useful Post:
fishingguy12345 (07-31-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 01:03 AM

Thanks to everyone who gave me some input on this. I've opted to go with the vent in the back. Any suggestions for plants there would be great. Other than that I'll be experimenting with the tillandsia and perhaps a few temperate mosses as the ultimate goal is to have the entire back and both side walls covered in growth. It looks like I've got more research to do on plant species for that section and will likely work on it slowly as I let midsection plants illustrate whether or not they're willing to grow into that section or not.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:31 AM

how wide isa the vent on your small exo terras and on your largewr ones?
Old 08-06-2020, 05:31 PM

Hi, I’m new here and to keeping dart frogs. I am currently setting up a Zilla 40 breeder Vivarium. The top is separated into 4 sections with the two rear areas only being about 2 inches of screen. The front areas are screen as well but more larger but the Vivarium comes with plastic sections to cover the front screen areas so as to keep humidity high if you want. The rear two areas are left for ventilation. So, with that being said I’m taking it that the ventilation should be at the back of any Vivarium. I’m taking it that Zilla which is a big brand has done the studies to see that this is best. I have the exo-Terra monsoon multi which I just purchased a week ago and I’m still trying to dial it in on my exo-Terra 12 x 12 x 18. I seem to prefer hand misting better at this moment. Anyway on my Exo I have Saran Wrap on the top and leave about 3 inches of screen for ventilation. It seems to work good so far. Like I said I’m still new at this and still leaning but I hope some of this info helps
The Following User Says Thank You to Mag1968 For This Useful Post:
DigitalChromosome (08-08-2020)