No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue
  • 1 Post By Pumilo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2020, 09:53 PM

Default Geckos with d. Leucomelas?

I've heard you can keep some species of day geckos as well as mourning geckos with dart frogs. What species of day gecko would work if any? I dont have frogs as of yet. I'm letting my vivarium grow out (36"18"36") before getting any. Would this be large enough for both as well? I want to make sure I'm doing everything right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2020, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Geckos with d. Leucomelas?

Most folks here are interested primarily in keeping dart frogs well. Keeping other species with dart frogs is contrary to that aim, so you won't find much support here for the idea.

There are no benefits whatsoever to the frogs in mixed species enclosures, and many harms (different environmental requirements -- yes, MGs and DGs have different parameter preferences from dart frogs -- pathogen transfer and creation of novel pathogens, territorial issues, and so on).

Besides all this, the learning curve involved with keeping dart frogs is steep enough without added challenges -- we see far too many dead frogs to recommend anything other than ideal conditions.

For more details, there is lots of reading here:

https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/se...rchid=15190534

Hope that helps.
fishingguy12345 likes this.

- Whitman
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Socratic Monologue For This Useful Post:
Dane (06-28-2020), fishingguy12345 (06-28-2020), Pumilo (06-29-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
I've heard you can keep some species of day geckos as well as mourning geckos with dart frogs. What species of day gecko would work if any? I dont have frogs as of yet. I'm letting my vivarium grow out (36"18"36") before getting any. Would this be large enough for both as well? I want to make sure I'm doing everything right.
There are a lot of folks that do this, whether it works long term (years as opposed to months) is less popularized. I see mourning geckos mentioned most often since their requirements are the most similar. Most websites I have seen note they really want to be a little less humid then most folks keep their dart frogs. Most folks shoot for humidity of about 80% here (though at least one person keeps their frogs a bit drier) Mourning Geckos like humidity to be closer to 70% with some sites saying getting them down to 50% is beneficial. Some websites say to use UVB, others say its not needed.

The biggest issue for me personally is that even if you can match up all the requirements, they are nocturnal. Dart Frogs are awesome in part because you can see them with the lights on. Mature Mourning Geckos can be great at hiding and might only come out when the lights are off. This pretty much defeats the purpose of having them in my eyes but your mileage will vary on that of course. As for day geckos. I haven't seen one that doesn't require even drier conditions.

Old 06-29-2020, 12:39 AM

A somewhat small point, but one that seems to need correcting often: mourning geckos are not nocturnal in practice. Mine are active at all hours, and other keepers have noted this as well.

- Whitman
Old 06-29-2020, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
A somewhat small point, but one that seems to need correcting often: mourning geckos are not nocturnal in practice. Mine are active at all hours, and other keepers have noted this as well.
My bad then. The websites I read have said nocturnal but I don't own one so I don't know beyond what I have read.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
My bad then. The websites I read have said nocturnal but I don't own one so I don't know beyond what I have read.
Yeah, there is a fair amount of inaccurate info out there, but some of it is just generalities taken too literally (like "dart frogs are terrestrial"). MGs kept improperly (singles especially) will hide a lot, because they are social and are apparently freaked out when they can't interact. They are also usually kept too cool (preferred body temp in the wild is as high as 87F) which will likely affect their behavior.

- Whitman
Old 06-29-2020, 03:24 AM

Coolness, I appreciate the advice
Old 06-29-2020, 04:42 AM

Thanked 1,843 Times in 1,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
....and creation of novel pathogens,... and so on).

https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/se...rchid=15190534

Hope that helps.
yes...YES....OH MY KERMIT! Somebody's been listening! You just made my day, sir. Say hello to COVID 19, people. The creation of a novel pathogen, in a real world scenario. Do Ed's warnings maybe have a little more significance to you now? True, this seems to be well beyond what Ed predicted, but that only proves his ideas that much more.

Novel Pathogen. Covid 19. It's no longer a theory, people, it's quite proven, and alive and well. It's waiting in your front yard. Waiting to hitch a ride in on your dogs paws, and then right up onto your lap.

Do you want any part of creating Covid 23?
Socratic Monologue likes this.

Last edited by Pumilo; 06-29-2020 at 04:43 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 06-29-2020, 05:08 AM

Thanked 1,843 Times in 1,343 Posts

I have to say that I also love that you used the word, "creation".
People have tried to downplay Ed and I's use of the word "creation".
If, against all advice, somebody sets up a vivarium that leads to the mutation of a virus, that is absolutely creating a novel virus. Maybe you didn't set out to do so, but without that particular set of bad choices, the virus would not exist.

In my mind, a poorly aimed mutation, is absolutely a creation. What is a creation?
"The action or process of bringing something into existence"
You put things together, and it creates something new. It has nothing whatsoever, to do with whether or not you intend the consequences. It only has to do with the final result.
I'm sorry, but a poorly aimed mutation, is absolutely a creation.

(humor break)
If you don't believe me, ask the scientist on SouthPark. You know, the guy that CREATED the 4 butted monkey. He made a mutation, but he's proud of his creation.
Query--If one could transfer this mutation to dart frogs, do you think we could reduce the incidents of impaction?
Old 06-29-2020, 04:03 PM

It would be good to remember also, that microorganisms dont have to undergo mutation to cause harm when crossing over to genus hosts, and disease consequences are probably much more common this way.

A quick recall example of this would be why the husbandry of aquatic turtles and the husbandry of snakes, should be mindfully separated by protocols, as devastating enteric infections from not doing so can result in the snakes.

Theres a little basic mantra of Dry husbandry before Wet. If your not into gloving up.