Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By fishingguy12345

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2020, 05:35 AM

Default New with questions

I recently got into growing carnivorous plants and you probably know where this is going. OK, here's the wind-up and the pitch. Can dart frogs safely coexist with these plants? What i have is three types of pitcher plants, one cape sunde and one Venus flytrap. All are fairly young. What I would like to do is use my old 40 gallon turning it into a vivarium. In doing this do I *have* to have a water feature such as a waterfall or moving water of some sort, or can misting be sufficient? Now, with that asked, what about the littles, what types and how many would be fine housed in this proposed viv for a beginner? Also, is mixing OK for instance a strawberry with a golden, etc?
I think that is enough questions.
Sorry for asking so many questions I just want to be sure this is right for me without harming any frogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2020, 11:01 AM

Default Re: New with questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEG64 View Post
I recently got into growing carnivorous plants and you probably know where this is going. OK, here's the wind-up and the pitch. Can dart frogs safely coexist with these plants? What i have is three types of pitcher plants, one cape sunde and one Venus flytrap. All are fairly young. What I would like to do is use my old 40 gallon turning it into a vivarium. In doing this do I *have* to have a water feature such as a waterfall or moving water of some sort, or can misting be sufficient? Now, with that asked, what about the littles, what types and how many would be fine housed in this proposed viv for a beginner? Also, is mixing OK for instance a strawberry with a golden, etc?
Sorry for asking so many questions I just want to be sure this is right for me without harming any frogs.
Welcome,

There are definitely mixed opinions on carnivorous plants and dart frogs in the same tank.

Water features are completely unnecessary for almost all species of dart frogs.

Mixing species of frogs is highly discouraged. (I don't know what a strawberry frog and a golden frog are). Stick to one species, research it until your eyes hurt and then do more research, then build the vivarium
Old 06-24-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEG64 View Post
Hello!

I started my first bog garden at the start of spring. I am really liking it and can see always having one. That said most are definitely plants that need to be outside. I am by no means a carnivorous plant expert so you will want to follow up on this but certainly your venus fly trap will struggle to stay healthy in a vivarium. For one thing they require a dormancy period every year where they get down to near freezing conditions. That means you would need to remove it and repot it for the winter which will not lead to optimal growth. Plus they really want 8+ hours a day of direct sunlight. Frankly none of the lights we put in vivariums equal the brightness of the sun. Venus flytraps can struggle for a year or two indoors but its really just a slow way to kill them. They are an outdoor plant. I have seen some Nepenthes type pitcher plants in vivariums. To keep them alive you need good light and to locate the plant high up.

I frankly would not combine a larger pitcher plant like a Nepenthes with a small arboreal frog like the strawberry. My concern would be that the frogs would lay their eggs or deposit tads in the basin of the pitcher. Larger terrestrial frogs? Maybe but honestly needing to locate the pitcher up near the light with the frogs down below makes designing the tanks more annoying I would just keep them separate but /shrug I can't deny that it has been done.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingguy12345 View Post
Welcome,

There are definitely mixed opinions on carnivorous plants and dart frogs in the same tank.

Water features are completely unnecessary for almost all species of dart frogs.

Mixing species of frogs is highly discouraged. (I don't know what a strawberry frog and a golden frog are). Stick to one species, research it until your eyes hurt and then do more research, then build the vivarium
Nice summary. I'd add more but that's pretty good. Oh wait, definitely no sundews. Nothing with adhesive properties would be advisable.

Last edited by varanoid; 06-28-2020 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:08 AM

I have an N. Ampullaria living in a 100 gallon frog tank and itís been thriving for the last year and a half. Itís kept in an elevated pot about half way up the tank and gets plenty of water and light. The frogs are azureus so they donít really climb all that much and donít often interact with the plant. It catches a ton of fruit flies and invasive snails.

Iím pretty sure if you wanted to keep carnivorous plants with frogs that nepenthes would be your best bet for something that can live in dart frog conditions. Most of them still get huge and you may have to move them once they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk