facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Pumilo
  • 1 Post By varanoid
  • 1 Post By Kmc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2020, 01:57 AM

Default Grow out tank for group of tinc froglets

Iím building out my first viviarium, and am planning on an eventual pair of tincs. I havenít landed on a specific morph yet, but am leaning towards Venessa. In order to get a pair Iím planning to go with the ďbuy as many froglets as you can afford and hope you end up with a pairĒ method. And so, Iím thinking 5-6 froglets, then will separate and sell off the extras after I hopefully end up with a pair as they grow.

Iím familiar with the ziploc/Rubbermaid tub-style grow-out tanks commonly discussed here, but Iíd really like to use a clear (e.g., glass) container since theyíll be in my office next to my desk. I searched and searched but couldnít really find an answer to this question; what size grow-out tank should I plan on using for a group of 5-6 tinc froglets? Is a 10g too small, or a 12x12x18 exo-terra?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2020, 04:12 AM

Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,339 Posts
Default Re: Grow out tank for group of tinc froglets

I would go with the 10 gallon. 20" x 10" is way more space than 12 x 12. A 10 gallon tank is the choice grow out tank for many breeders. 5 or 6 should be fine in there as long as you get them out well before sexual maturity. I grew all the froglets I produced, in 10 gallon tanks. Keep it simple, as it won't be around long. Spend you money on your display viv. Substrate, leaf litter, and perhaps a simple pothos plant. Get some big leaves in there to provide good cover. Magnolia and sea grape are great larger leaves.
Caietaro likes this.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:42 PM

That makes sense, thank you! From what I’ve read, it seems like I should in theory be able to sex tincs around 10-12 months old, and they reach sexual maturity around 12-18 months - is that right? If so, I’ll go the 10g route and can always set up another 10g easily enough if they need more space before I can reliably sex them.

Last edited by Caietaro; 06-23-2020 at 03:46 PM.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caietaro View Post
That makes sense, thank you! From what Iíve read, it seems like I should in theory be able to sex tincs around 10-12 months old, and they reach sexual maturity around 12-18 months - is that right? If so, Iíll go the 10g route and can always set up another 10g easily enough if they need more space before I can reliably sex them.
You are right for tincs on your timeframe for sexual maturity and being able to identify their sex as well.

And I was going to add what you just said, if you observe stress, aggression, or weight loss you should split them up into more tanks. I suspect you will need to do this based off my experience. Once they get a certain size, 10 gallons will be cramped and some may begin to stress.
Caietaro likes this.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:44 AM

I agree. I like to be able to see my animals, this includes walk bys.

Tupperware tubs with drilled holes, with animals at a most crucial stage of development, its utterly confounding to me that air exchange is placed at such a low priority of husbandry value. As if Oxygen is not a crucial resource in closed situ.

In 35+ years I have never had to restrict ventilation to achieve enough humiidity for my charges. I just dont get it.
Caietaro likes this.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmc View Post
I agree. I like to be able to see my animals, this includes walk bys.

Tupperware tubs with drilled holes, with animals at a most crucial stage of development, its utterly confounding to me that air exchange is placed at such a low priority of husbandry value. As if Oxygen is not a crucial resource in closed situ.

In 35+ years I have never had to restrict ventilation to achieve enough humiidity for my charges. I just dont get it.

Exactly - since this is new to me, I especially want to be able to watch them throughout the day to be able to better spot anything that might seem off early on.

I figure if I have trouble keeping humidity up I can install my mistking into the top of the tank.